Quaker Parrots

Birdman4167

Sep 29, 2022
Parrots
CBC
I am new to this group and I might be interested in Quaker parrots I was just wondering if anyone could tell me are they very loud and noisy or are they pretty much quiet thank you for your help.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
They are loud and like to make noise.. while happy busy noises are fine, and can be quiet and hang out with you. Its their tendency to turn to screaming when caged, bored ...and they can get real dedicated to non stop hours of this. That gets this species re homed a ton! Its no joke. I've taken in these.

They can be an amazing companion. When integrated into your life, spending the majority of their day out of the cage. Extremely social, personal feelings they should not be kept as a solo parrot , or left alone all day while you are away working. Because of their social nature and intelligence, that kind of lifestyle leads to them screaming and plucking. They are on prone to this, in unsatisfactory lifestyle like CAG and Too's, macaws and eclectic ( tho on the last species diet and hormonal frustrationS may play a bigger role)

People can have different experiences.

OP
B

Birdman4167

Sep 29, 2022
Parrots
CBC
Thank you so very much for that information I was afraid of that so I guess now a Quaker is probably out of the question for me as I live in a senior apartment building and they may not like the noise I will have to try something quieter any suggestions?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you so very much for that information I was afraid of that so I guess now a Quaker is probably out of the question for me as I live in a senior apartment building and they may not like the noise I will have to try something quieter any suggestions?
Some are going to do ok if you are spending a lot if time with them. Have an enriched life with foraging, social time. Understand behavior and not reinforce screaming. But yeah they are prone to being loud. Their are other species that can hit higher decibel levels, but a quaker screeching can be heard outside my home.
One great thing about a majority of parrots is they aren't screeching at night. They are an awesome parrot full of personality. But nine of mine could be apartment birds.

My experience with Green cheek conures , is they aren't prone to vocalizations . Their alarm call is loud. But mine never make continual vocalizations or squawking like my quakers or the content happy low volume parakeet noises.
Other peoples experience may vary.

Individuals vary within any species.

Parolets are quite I believe.

Some lovebirds I've been around can make ear pierce screeches but I don't know how prone they are to vocalizations...

My neighbors cocktail is quiet. Vocals less often quite side can never be heard outside. Does speak and whistle. I've only had significant time with a few individuals, those individuals would be fine in an apartment....but again other people with more experience my worth listening to on that. Fun cuties at least the ones I've met.

I'll keep thinking..

OP
B

Birdman4167

Sep 29, 2022
Parrots
CBC
Some are going to do ok if you are spending a lot if time with them. Have an enriched life with foraging, social time. Understand behavior and not reinforce screaming. But yeah they are prone to being loud. Their are other species that can hit higher decibel levels, but a quaker screeching can be heard outside my home.
One great thing about a majority of parrots is they aren't screeching at night. They are an awesome parrot full of personality. But nine of mine could be apartment birds.

My experience with Green cheek conures , is they aren't prone to vocalizations . Their alarm call is loud. But mine never make continual vocalizations or squawking like my quakers or the content happy low volume parakeet noises.
Other peoples experience may vary.

Individuals vary within any species.

Parolets are quite I believe.

Some lovebirds I've been around can make ear pierce screeches but I don't know how prone they are to vocalizations...

My neighbors cocktail is quiet. Vocals less often quite side can never be heard outside. Does speak and whistle. I've only had significant time with a few individuals, those individuals would be fine in an apartment....but again other people with more experience my worth listening to on that. Fun cuties at least the ones I've met.

I'll keep thinking..
As I said I live in a senior retirement Community and you know how I was cravios seniors can be we like to complain about a lot of things or nothing LOL. I think the best bet for me would be to get a cockatiel or parallettes thank you for your advice and your help.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
FYI, Quaker parrots are illegal in some U.S. states. I was astonished to learn this. My state is one of them. :[

States Where the Quaker Parrot Is Illegal
It is currently illegal to own a Quaker Parrot in California, Connecticut, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Wyoming. It’s also illegal in Colorado, but you can keep one you already own if you purchased it before 1990. Maine has also recently made them illegal, and they have rehoming assistance programs in place to help get the remaining birds out.
[...]
If your state is not listed above, then it is legal to own. However, there are a few exceptions.

1.New Jersey
You can own a Quaker parrot in New Jersey, but you need a permit to do so. The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife will issue permits at its discretion after looking for evidence that the owner knows the danger presented by these birds.

2.New York
You can own the Quaker parrot in New York, but all companion birds need to have an ID band.

3.Ohio
You can own a Quaker parrot in Ohio, but you must get the wings clipped so it can’t fly away and create a colony.

OP
B

Birdman4167

Sep 29, 2022
Parrots
CBC
FYI, Quaker parrots are illegal in some U.S. states. I was astonished to learn this. My state is one of them. :[
Thank you so much for your response I read that online these states do not allow but I live in Maryland and they are okay here.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Thank you so much for your response I read that online these states do not allow but I live in Maryland and they are okay here.
I have only seen them in videos and photos, and I think they are adorable! Someone recently mentioned an unfamiliar color term for a Quaker. I looked it up, and it blew my mind. I had no idea!

OP
B

Birdman4167

Sep 29, 2022
Parrots
CBC
I have only seen them in videos and photos, and I think they are adorable! Someone recently mentioned an unfamiliar color term for a Quaker. I looked it up, and it blew my mind. I had no idea!

Thank you so very much for your response I appreciate it.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
This article gives a really nice color chart! There are also grey and cobalt quakers but those are very expensive. Of course the personalities are the same in all colors though the wild type green is possibly most robust.

I have been very happy with my green scratch -and-dent model, Lucy, and my blue Willow. Willow is on my hand, preening away. He needs a bath as hrs starting to smell like a chicken instead of sun dried laundry.

Most Reactions

Latest posts