Question about baby GCC

spursguy1231

Apr 15, 2009
I have found a breeder in my area selling a 5 1/2 week old green cheek conrue. I noticed the bird was missing a nail on one toe and also that on each foot there was only 3 toes. 2 facing forward and one facing back. Is this normal should i be concern purcshaing this bird once fully weaned?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Well, my GCC has 4 toes, and a nail on each of those 8 toes ... I am not sure that this would be a deal breaker for me as birds can adapt. What WOULD be a concern would be how that baby lost those other two toes ~ if it was a birth defect then that's not an issue and the baby will adapt (can still grip and perch with 3 toes). If the parents attacked the baby and bit off a toe or two, well, then I would have to look more closely at the environment in which the breeders are kept and make a decision after that ...

I hope that it's just a birth defect, and if you can get a good look at the feet you should be able to tell just by looking. If that's the case, then there isn't an issue at all and you just have a "special" birdy.

:50:

OP
S

spursguy1231

Apr 15, 2009
Thank you for your response. I am just concerned if it was a birth defect that it might be because of inbreeding. What do you think?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Unlikely, it's more likely that it's just a genetic defect like a human being born withouth a finger ...

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
I've heard of a few birds with only say two toes on each foot. They seemed fine. I mean they were born with it so they don't know much different. I've also known of birds who've gotten their toe(s) bitten off by other birds and adapting just fine. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts