Question about birds and cats.

May 17, 2020
Hi quick question what are the chances of my cat getting sick from my birds and my birds getting sick from my cat. Is there a high risk for an infection either way? I don't allow them in the same room birds have there own room. When I wash there dishes before and after I clean the taps with soap and water. I always wash my hands after interacting and cleaning my cat litter box before going to the birds and always wash my hands after interacting with the birds and cleaning thier cages. Is there a high ridk for zoonotic diseases or am I being paranoid.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Cats have bacteria in their saliva that birds cannot metabolize. It's part of why domestic cats are such lethal hunters and have wiped out entire populations/species of birds. Good on you for keeping them separate and safe.

I'm not aware of anything that can transmit from the birds to the cats however, but nothing wrong with being safe.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Agree with Owlet. Cat saliva is toxic to birds. Also cats can probably spread salmonella and host of other bacterial infections. They can also spread diseases to human beings including one that affects the brain badly. So you are not being paranoid. Your concern is very much in the right place.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
That is just one of the diseases they can carry (and it is also dangerous for pregnant women...stats also show that cat owners who get infected with this are much more likely to develop mental health problems compared to those not infected, including significantly higher rates of suicide and "crazy cat lady" stereotypes...
Pasteurella multocida is one that they all carry-This is natural for them. That is why an antibiotic injection is crucial for a bird, even if just barely scratched or bitten.

There are many other diseases as well.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Toxiplasmosis is not the only concern here...again....yes-- indoor cats can have it from stuff they stumble upon indoors...and again, that is NOT the only or even main concern in terms of cat to bird illness. AGAIN- Pasteurella multocida is one that they all carry

OP
S
May 17, 2020
Toxiplasmosis is not the only concern here...again....yes-- indoor cats can have it from stuff they stumble upon indoors...and again, that is NOT the only or even main concern in terms of cat to bird illness. AGAIN- Pasteurella multocida is one that they all carry

Ok thankyou with the precautions I'm taking do you think my birds are protected.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Good article on toxoplasmosis, apparently indoor cats can be eating an intermediate host such as rodents: https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departm...ation/feline-health-topics/toxoplasmosis-cats

Unpleasant description of how toxoplasmosis can affect parrots: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23397856/

Wow, I never thought about toxoplasmosis in birds. I had cats who were super docile with my old bird, but now after reading this I would have to re-think 3 times before I ever say that cats and birds can live together. They can live peacefully, but the dangers of illnesses is real.

Most Reactions

Latest posts