Question about Chopped.

Triplemoon

May 21, 2013
mid tn usa
Parrots
Goldie- hen Gold/Yellow cheek Cockatiel ( almost 20 yr old) and a newly weaned Lutino parakeet named Boo 2 GCC's Milo-Turquoise and Jada-Pineapple.
I am thinking about transitioning to Chopped after my girls eat through the seeds I was told to buy. ( my seed mix has dehydrated fruits and veggies in it) I am going to start offering small amounts of veggies and fruit once I move and get settled. Then as the seeds run out offer more and more of the veggies and fruit.

My question is how much would a cockatiel and young Parakeet need a day in Chopped? Do I still offer pellets or seeds?
Thanks for reading.

Tonkatiel

Banned
Banned
Apr 25, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Tonks (Cockatiel), Sid, Johnny, Aussie (Lovebirds), Punky (Galah)
My lovebirds and cockatiel get about a teaspoon (each) of chop mix a day. They don't always eat it all, but a lot of the time they do, so I prefer to have more available rather than less...

I have seeds and pellets available at all times, and give the chop mix for breakfast...

It may take your birds a while to accept fresh foods so I'd start offering things sooner rather than later :)

OP
T

Triplemoon

May 21, 2013
mid tn usa
Parrots
Goldie- hen Gold/Yellow cheek Cockatiel ( almost 20 yr old) and a newly weaned Lutino parakeet named Boo 2 GCC's Milo-Turquoise and Jada-Pineapple.
Thank you Tonkatiel. I can get Goldie to taste new things. But the new Parakeet who is about a week out of weaning is not used to me and I just recently saw her/him eat in front of me yesterday. I got him/her just last Friday.

Any ideas on a recipe that I could start them on?

OP
T

Triplemoon

May 21, 2013
mid tn usa
Parrots
Thanks I have been surfing that site for 2 days now. Once pay day hits I am going shopping. Maybe get enough to last the year..... Hubby is on board as long as I am not spending outragous amounts monthly.

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
I use this chop mix(give or take a few ingredients depending on what looks the best at the store)

Chop Mix For Your Birds

I thought beetroot was unsafe? I need an Australia version of this list, stupid differences!

I recently did a huge buy and chop and froze it all in ice cube trays, I now have veggies for two to three months, makes my non-existent income life happy!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I use this chop mix(give or take a few ingredients depending on what looks the best at the store)

Chop Mix For Your Birds

I thought beetroot was unsafe? I need an Australia version of this list, stupid differences!

I recently did a huge buy and chop and froze it all in ice cube trays, I now have veggies for two to three months, makes my non-existent income life happy!
hmm, I don't know if it is or not. I always leave it out because I don't want to cook the beats on top of all the grains I have to cook XD

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I make chop different every time I make it. My wife & I eat a lot of fresh fruit & vegetables. So, I make the chop out of whatever we have bought for ourselves. We eat everything you put in chop. Fruits, vegetables, grains like quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat, etc. Plus, we like to try any new, odd, or interesting things. And share them with our birds. So, our chop really doesn't cost us hardly anything, and we can make it fresh just about everyday.

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
I make chop about once a month-month and a half, it's got different stuff in it every time and I feed it at dinner time. Mornings they get whatever my daughter has for breakfast, usually fruit, sometimes scrambled eggs and some thawed frozen mixed veggies.
they get pellets and/or seed and usually almonds daily too

OP
T

Triplemoon

May 21, 2013
mid tn usa
Parrots
Well I talked to the "bank" (hubby) and he said that we can do this after we move. For now I will give them samples from our meals. Which are normally healthy. So, far One likes peas but my little Lutino budgie isn't a fan of anything but the seeds. But then again he has only been here a week now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts