Question about lotions

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi everybody,

I was just thinking and I was wondering if facial lotions could be dangerous to my bird after they’ve soaked in? I use Clinique dramatically different gel moisturizer.

My budgie loves to kiss and lick my face so I normally will not use it any time close to when I’ll be allowing him on me. Is there any danger dried though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I know this is going to sound over-the-top to some, but If I have makeup on, or stuff like that, I block Noodles from "kissing" me. I pretty much stopped wearing mascara. I love that moisturizer, but put some on your hand, let it dry and then lick it...It does have a taste and it's full of stuff they shouldn't be ingesting (and it's not great for us either, even though I have used it and still do from time to time). If I wear makeup where my bird will lick, I do try to wash my face first...That's my opinion...It's a cautious one, but if you look into the sketchy regulations surrounding the american cosmetics industry, it's not that radical.

There is a documentary called "Stink" that is very interesting. I would recommend it. Here is a link to the full movie: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxd-o4WZtrI"]Stink full movie - YouTube[/ame]

I know it gets a bit political at times, but I have run into these exact same issues when calling about products and this documentary is very, very valid. I know that dramatically different moisturizer doesn't have a smell, but the whole cosmetics industry is SKETCHY as heck. Claire's was selling tons of eye shadow containing asbestos (for one example)..They can put so much into them because of the strange regulations (despite far superior regulations in some other countries). The US knowingly allows a ton of carcinogens and neurotoxins to be added to many products and many of the chemicals legal here (often unlisted or disguised under a catch-all phrase) are banned in Europe. I do not trust the cosmetics industry in the US...even though I still use cheap makeup lol!

Last edited:
OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I know this is going to sound over-the-top to some, but If I have makeup on, or stuff like that, I block Noodles from "kissing" me. I pretty much stopped wearing mascara. I love that moisturizer, but put some on your hand, let it dry and then lick it...It does have a taste and it's full of stuff they shouldn't be ingesting. If I wear makeup where my bird will lick, I do try to wash my face first...That's my opinion...It's a cautious one, but if you look into the sketchy regulations surrounding the american cosmetics industry, it's not that radical.

There is a documentary called "Stink" that is very interesting. I would recommend it. Here is a link to the full movie: Stink full movie - YouTube

I don’t think that’s over the top at all! When I wear makeup I will absolutely not allow him near my face. I see… I’ll continue being overly cautious as well then.

Added to my watch list!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This is an area that I should have zero knowledge and although not zero, it is fairly low. But, as Noddles said above, the cosmetics industry both in the North American and the World in general have very limited guidelines, let alone much in the way of regulations regarding what 'stuff' including dangerous 'stuff' they can add to cosmetics.

whitney.phillips919

Feb 23, 2021
I wouldn’t do this for my face but just a suggestion for those with dry skin: I slather myself in coconut oil before showering or bathing. Keeps me moisturized enough to not need lotion [emoji4]

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wouldn’t do this for my face but just a suggestion for those with dry skin: I slather myself in coconut oil before showering or bathing. Keeps me moisturized enough to not need lotion [emoji4]

True- and coconut oil is harmless. I have tried it on my face and I would say that you might be able to apply it at night and wipe off excess in the morning, but it's hard to keep out of your hair (although it is also good for your hair lol)--def will make you shiny unless you remove excess. This one is a little less appealing and not vegetarian, but lard has been used for centuries as a moisturizer and the processed stuff has very little scent--- It has a scent, but not like meat or anything..more like canola oil. I used to get it on my hands when cooking and it moisturized them.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts