Questions about Adopting or Rescuing Birds

CallumConure

Apr 10, 2019
Central Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Callum- GCC Hatchday: October 15th, 2016
(nonparrot friends include rats, a dog, and a few reptiles :))
So, in the future (not anytime soon), I'd love to adopt another bird. I know a lot of people will tell me not to get my heart set on a certain species of bird, but for now, I have my eye set on macaws or any of the two African grey species. That's what I've been off-on researching for years and have sort of wanted ever since I was a little kid. While I'd love to have more birds, I simply don't have the time, space, or funds to support such intelligent, big birds. For now, I'm happy with my little budgie and GCC, but do always want to add more to my flock.

So, getting to the point... To anyone who has rescued/adopted birds, what are red flags you're looking out for from a bird rescue? I know sometimes we don't choose the bird. Either the bird chooses us, the bird is given to us, or we just see a bird and need to take them from the situation. For now, I'm limiting this to bird rescues. Not naming any names, but the adoption agency I've got my eye on has adoption fees up to $600 USD, but can charge more for "rare" species or color mutations. This is literally what they say on their website. Is this normal?

Another question is... How far should I be willing to travel to adopt a bird? I live in a state in the US that has a really small number of bird rescues (two to be precise). I generally don't mind traveling a thousand miles to meet and potentially adopt a bird, but I would worry about bringing the bird home. A 3-4 day road trip could be incredibly stressful for bird and I, and planes in the US (I believe at least) typically don't allow birds in the cabin. A bird would have to go in the cargo, which has uncontrolled temperature and pressure.

For reference, the next closest bird rescues (at least according to Petfinder) are another 200 miles away, which can turn into a four or five hour drive one way. If I were to adopt a bird, I would like to meet the bird three or four times, then begin the process of adopting.

And, I don't know how regular this is with bird rescues, but quite a few require home visits (totally understandable) and I would understand if a volunteer didn't want to travel a few hundred miles just to approve a home.

Anyways, these are just my questions. I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to look at macaws soon. I'd like to see and hear what these birds are like outside of zoos and videos lol.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Many of the questions you have regarding Macs are addressed in the Mac Forum here. Take a look back into that Forum and also read the Threads found in light blue at the top of that Forum.

First, Mac's by nature are loud. They are really not recommended for apartment life unless you happen to live in one in which all your fellow renters have Macs. That likelihood is in the billions to one range.

All large Parrots are expensive to have. From food, to housing (cage), perches, toys, etc... One of the major cost items is Vet Care. Far too many individuals never budget for this cost item!

Time: Like a three year old Human child, they require tons of time! Time for cleaning, feeding, and especially, one on one time.

Bites: Bites happen for tons of different reasons. Most are errors, some are a result of you not paying attention. The larger the Parrot, the greater the effect of the event. Macs Know that they are Big and have a Big Bill and as a result will use it to intimidate. But that is getting way ahead of this discussion. Point being, a Bit can and does happen. Developing a strong bonded relationship greatly reduces the likelihood.

Money: It costs money to run a Rescue and it doesn't grow on trees. Plus, charging money quickly separates out those who are really interested and those that just want a freebee. And, as stated above, Big Parrots are expensive and if you think about it, 600 USD is less than what a Mac cage will cost. A new Large Parrot owner can quickly spend 3000 to 5000 USD in the first month bring baby home.

We have a large Amazon (DYH) and his yearly costs for Vet care runs in the 3000 to 5000 range. Not saying that is common by any means, but it can happen.

What is Most Important is most commonly forgotten: Let the Parrot Choose You!!! They are much better at it than we!!!

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
All of my birds are from rehoming situations or from rescues, and I have volunteered at a rescue for a few years. I would echo all of what Sailboat has said.

It’s normal for rescues to charge - it helps sort the legitimately interested people from those that would flip birds for profit. It also costs a lot to feed and care for bird, and donations only cover part of that cost. Red flags for a me at a rescue would be - that they don’t let you visit with the bird prior to adopting and don’t ask questions about your intentions, ability to care for, home or experience, or they try to rush you into taking the bird.

I would probably limit my travel area to what will work for the place you are wanting to adopt from (particularly if they want a home visit). And I would definitely want to think hard about the logistics of traveling overnight with a bird that you are not familiar with.

I think when you get to the point that you are ready to adopt - it will be when a bird chooses you as their person. I hope you’ll be open to considering all species, it’s definitely a bonus when your bird genuinely wants to come home with you.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
A totally different perspective for you to consider....Bertie was just adopted from a reputable rescue centre here in Australia. You may NOT visit the birds prior to adoption. We had one photo to view, plus comments. We CHOSE him: he didn't have a choice. We drove 9h to his location; stayed overnight so Ellie stayed on 'sleep/wake schedule'; picked Bertie up early morning and drove home to get Ellie and Bertie a feed and to bed at sundown. We love Bertie and he has accepted us and the rest of the flock.:)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I guess it's up to you. I drove 3.5 hours each way so seven hours in the car to get my Neptune. I drove ten hours to a shelter to get my dog, so a 20 hour round trip.
I say follow your gut on the rescue places, some indeed are bird brokeres pretending to be rescues...
I once was complaining about the toys I go through to a pet store owner, and she said you are lucky you don't own a macaw, as she had a guy who spends a hundred a week on toys, not including the DIY toys.
I always suggest doing research on the horror stories or bad stories of a species. Not just the good stories. That helped me be prepared for the Quaker cage territory aggressions. Good luck can't wait to hear of your adventures!

OP
CallumConure

CallumConure

Apr 10, 2019
Central Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Callum- GCC Hatchday: October 15th, 2016
(nonparrot friends include rats, a dog, and a few reptiles :))
Thank you for the advice and commenting everyone! I appreciate the advice, even though I wasn't necessarily expecting it. Like I said, this sort plan is many, many years ahead of me and I have plenty of time to get my life in order, research some more, hear more pros and cons on the bird species I'm interested in, along with going to a bird rescue to volunteer and see (read: hear) these birds. I live in a townhome currently. I would not move into an apartment with larger birds, unless it was bird central (as SailBoat said). I have a GCC, so while I don't face the expenses of larger bird keepers, I do understand that birds are expensive. I expected to spend at least $3k upfront to first adopt the bird and then buy all of the supplies that come with the bird.

I would also like to clarify why I asked if $600 seemed excessive or not. I do not want to mistakenly support a breeder or a bird broker as Laurasea said. I quickly checked Hoobly (it's a site like Craigslist, Kijiji, etc.) and saw macaws being sold as babies for upwards of $2k. I read somewhere forever that a rescue should not raise the adopting fee simply because a bird species or rare or the bird has a color mutation. Do you guys share this sentiment? A higher adoption fee in adopting definitely scares away the unprepared or the "I want a bird but don't want to actually care for it" people. I am not looking for a free bird, especially since there is no such thing as a free bird. Even if you get the bird and all of its cages, stands, perches, and toys for free, you still have to buy food and replace toys that are destroyed. Along with vet fees, whether it's a routine check-up or an emergency 2AM vet visit.

Like I said, I don't have the funds to buy an $800 cage, $600+ bird, and another high amount of perches and toys. This wouldn't include either a DIY or bought aviary, the bird stands, and food. So I'd wait until I was financially stable enough to afford such a bird. Ideally, I'd live in a home and have an at-home job so that I can be around my birds a vast majority of the time.

So, quick update: I went to the bird rescue today. At this specific rescue, they had a ton of macaws, mostly B&G, a greenwing, an AG, and some smaller birds like two GCCs, a nanday conure, a cockatiel (that was being adopted as I was leaving), a bunch of budgies, and a parrotlet. I was there in time to hear the screaming from all of the macaws. Multiple times. So NOW I understand the "macaws are loud, very loud" sentiment lol. Had one or two scream in my ear. I left the bird rescue with ringing ears! I really didn't mind it. But of course, that was only for a couple of hours.

Of course, I experienced a few lunges, some gaping beaks, etc. Almost got bit by a B&G. Usual bird things. While experiencing those things really helped the "they have big beaks and they know" sink in, I didn't find myself scared or anything of these birds.

I don't want to stress the bird out (especially since they may only have just met me or have only seen me four or five times), which is why I would be apprehensive to travel a huge distance.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
BTW I forget to say bravo on intention to adopt!!!!!
Wonderful that you are researching and planning! If you heart and dreams are a macaw then I hope those dreams come true. You can see most where probably given up because of the noise. Some species are more prone to love belting out the ol bird tunes and I think macaws are such. My Quaker can't reach that volume, but his volume is plenty loud enough to be driving me crazy right now, Quaker also like the sound of their voices and can spend a lot of time being loud...I'm trying to get him back speaking instead of scream
Anyway. Thanks for thinking rescues/rehones first!! Must be so hard waiting for your dream to come true

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
I have no doubt that when the time comes to bring your Eclectus (ooops), I mean Macaw (LOL :D) home, that you will be ready financially - just as you are already aware species-wise and capable fid-wise. Now, what's grandma's current take on the timing eh? She is very special but is she ready for a Macaw to love her? I recall she wasn't ready for Callum to love her BUT he does!:). I think your grandma is quite something...and so are you for thinking of rescues and re-homes at your young age. Thank you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts