questions about quakers

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
i have a few questions about quaker's i dont know how to word this any other way so i will just shoot i herd that quakers have bowl movements in their water and was wondering if this was true. not a big problem just alot of cleaning and i also herd that they have bowl movements up to every 15 minutes. i was just wondering if i should get a coat or somthing that i dont mind getting ruined or washing 1 million times or if this isnt a problem. i thought it was because birds need to stay light in the air and just have bowl movements to lessen weight. well enough on poop. any help would be apreciated

OP
U

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
Also i was wondering what temprature to keep the room where i will keep the Quaker. his name will be Alvin and i dont want him to be too cold or hot but they did come from south america i think and also live in feral colonies in the eastern us so i have no idea what the temprature should be. I live in idaho and it gets to be about 15 12 degrees farenheight here at night in the winter and i usually keep the heater on.

Last edited:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Almost all parrots will go every 15 minutes like clockwork. As far as doing it in their water or on you that is usually not a problem. They will fill their water with food and make soup though.

You can potty train parrots (to a degree). Some people have great success in getting them to go just in one spot. That is a best case scenario; more realistically is that they will find a few spots to use. It really doesn't take much to make sure they never go on you.

As for temperature if you are comfortable they'd be comfortable. It's more important to avoid drafts or sudden changes in temperature. Nearly any temperature we're comfortable in would be fine for them. I say NEARLY because some people keep the heat low in the winter and just put on heavy sweaters - birds can't put on sweaters. If you are comfortable without bundling up they will be too.

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Banned
Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Poconos, Pa, USA
Yes, birds poop quite often. It's normal, they have a high metabolism and that's part of it. But they don't poop in their water bowls on purpose, they only do it if you put a perch above it so the trick is to get a very large cage where you can place three perches in strategic spots that will not be directly above the water or food dish.

As to temperature, quakers come from my country so I can tell you for a fact that they can easily stand temperatures of 50 degrees and I doubt your house is colder than that so it should be OK.

OP
U

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
i just came back from the pet store and a long night of reserching about parrots didnt mean to use the word nusance in my other post just was tired. No parrot yet and learned alot the owner confirmed that they most likely wont poop on you but will make holes in your shirt so i will get some disposable shirts. Thanks for all they help guys and galls

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
they ... will make holes in your shirt

Absolutely! I go through a LOT of t-shirts. I take off any overshirt or decent shirt I am wearing as soon as I get home. The fronts of most of my t-shirts have been turned to swiss cheese... or they are just completely gone.

justwingingit

Nov 28, 2009
Media
New Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Macaws: Hyacinth, B&G's, Greenwings, Scarlets, Blue Throated. Afr Grey, Cuban Amazon, Caiques, et al
This is funny! I have a quaker named Clancy that an elderly client turned over to me. He hated me when I would go to her house and groom him, but here at my house, he's a lover. In my small bird room, I have a sink for washing the bird dishes and his cage is near that. One day, I was washing dishes and felt a very warm, wet feeling on my neck. He pooped through his cage, right on me! I lovingly chastised him, but I could not help but laugh. Auggie's Dad is right. Never wear anything nice around the birds or it won't stay that way. Some of my neighbors think I'm a bum!:blue:

Most Reactions

Latest posts