Questions on my new Rescue

GoddoG23

Jan 14, 2021
Ohio
Parrots
None yet, adopting a B&G
Hello again all, (sorry for the long message but i need help)
I am in the process of adopting a B&G and currently I am looking at bringing him home on Feb 5th. That being said I have to dog sit/house sit for my friend Feb 15th to the 25th. Unfortunately i agreed to this before I ever met Rico, and I don't want to back out on the person. I plan on asking the rescue if we could move my pick up date to the 26th but im not sure if they will go with that.

My question is, how detrimental to my bond with Rico would it be to bring him home on the 5th, spend normal time with him on the schedule I plan on keeping for his lifetime from the 5th to the 15th and then only spending a few hours a day with him for the next 10 while I house sit? I dont want to stress him out by moving him again to the house im sitting for with dogs and a cat. I also would much rather wait until after that time to pick him up, however if that is not an option for the rescue then I will be at a crossroads on what to do here. Any input would be great. My schedule for Rico at home is below, and then what it would look like while I house sit below that

Ricos Normal Routine (5 to 6 hours of active stimulation with me)
Wake up 10 am (Spend 30 to 45 minutes with him while I prep his food)
Come home for lunch from 1230pm to 130pm spend whole time with him
Come home for 30 min break at 330 spend time with him
Come home from work 630 spend the rest of the evening teaching and bonding until bed time at 10pm

While I house sit for 10 days (2 hours max active time with me)
Normal wake up
Only could come home fro 330 break but could extend it to 1 hour
Come back to spend time/put him to be 9ish

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I think you are answering your own question. Rescues need one on one time and your month of February is a complex mix that maybe best defined as: when you can and that is not a solid staring foundation.

IMHO, you would be better severed to spend the time getting to know each other at the Rescue during the month of February!

OP
G

GoddoG23

Jan 14, 2021
Ohio
Parrots
None yet, adopting a B&G
Yea that is sort of what I was thinking, I hope the rescue would be okay with this additional 20 day hold....

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You probably should ask your friend to get another sitter or postpone picking up your bird until after. Can't they just keep him during that time? I mean, you want him to be fully weaned by the time you take him home anyway..

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm betting the rescue will be okay with pushing the pick up date back a bit, bearing in mind that Rico has been unmanageable for anyone else but you? Try just explaining the situation. I can't imagine it being a problem, other than I'm sure you want him HOME. :)

Most Reactions