Quinoa Grain Salad for Birds and Humans

YYHa

Mar 29, 2022
Parrots
Budgie, GCC
My birds always beg for the food Iā€™m eating and like to steal it! So I fooled them into eating food that they thought was junk food. Use ingredients that you would find in chop but that you would also enjoy eating too.
  • Boil 2 1/4 cups of water in medium sauce pan. High heat.
  • Add 1/8 cup of washed green lentils, split mung beans. 1/2 Tbsp of mix of Coix seed (barley, I used Chinese barley) and red rice. Cook in boiled water for 10 minutes. Medium heat. You can use grains you enjoy eating, these are the grains I had on hand.
  • Add 1 TBSP of flaxseed, 1/2 Tsp sesame seeds. 1/4 cup of quinoa. Half of 1/3 cup of yellow millet. Cook for 13-15 minutes stirring occasionally. Lower temperature for gentle simmer. Set aside till completely cooled down.
  • While all of these cook in pot, prepare fresh ingredients. You can mix and match what kind of fresh ingredients you like. Preferably 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can of washed chickpeas), 1 small can peaches & cream corn, 4 medium cucumbers peeled and diced (make up 2 cups worth). 1/2 cup diced boiled broccoli. Mix together. Season with parsley and oregano or herbs that are bird safe you enjoy.
  • When using other vegetables that would be used in chop such as bell peppers, raw or boiled broccoli, carrots, or that your birds enjoy, lower the amount of cucumber. I used that much as I only had those on hand and my family member doesnā€™t enjoy bell peppers so I did not add.
  • Add wet ingredients to fresh and season with juice of one lemon (preserves freshness). When I eat it myself is a smaller bowl with lime chips, I season it with sea salt and pepper. My sibling enjoys seasoning it with balsamic vinegar in a burrito.
I realized that I forgot to add my diced broccoli and carrots in my salad for the photosā€¦ Also couldnā€™t get a good picture of my GCC as she was napping on my shoulder. Good flock time with birds and tricking them that they arenā€™t eating junk food šŸ˜ˆ

Attachments

• 0B934357-F4F3-4985-A45E-E8CD6DC79DFD.jpeg
    0B934357-F4F3-4985-A45E-E8CD6DC79DFD.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 88
  • CD99753A-9111-464D-995D-BB37389F5010.jpeg
    CD99753A-9111-464D-995D-BB37389F5010.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 83

Most Reactions