R&G Macaw seems to have forgotten how to take food.

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
"Rosemary" Red-and-green macaw (Ara chloropterus)
So Rosemary has been eating great for me every day... until yesterday. She still acts really hungry and starts off with a great feeding response then gets really lazy and stops gulping it down. It just fills up in her mouth and she just sit there then eventually it all comes spilling out all over. makes me nervous she is going to aspirate or something. WE had a great system going where she would gulp it down with little mess. Now it feels like half of the food isn't getting into her. Note, I think she is probably going on 12 weeks and wanting to fledge soon.

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This covers a lot if problems, I don't agree with everything in the article or supplement and...but it cover a lot of problems you can encounter

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
I don't like this, its not normal
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-960044
Unfortunately nothing jumps out at me. Seems like there are a lot of things that result in "poor feeding response". I haven't noticed and other symptoms of anything yet. Maybe my last few rounds of food have been to thick or something. I'll try thinning it a bit and see if she does better. Down side of making my own all the time is consistency is not... consistent.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You should be keeping a close record of her weight in grams, every day. Keep a journal. Use a cheap kitchen scale that weighs out in grams. You are looking for a steady weight increase. If you see her not gaining or loosing weight, time for concern and a vet visit. Best to weigh at the same time every day, after she has had her big morning poop and before you feed her. You can leave out fruit/veggies and pellets for her to investigate and try, but let her do this at her pace, not your!

12 weeks seems a bit to early for her to start self weaning. Keep offering formula until she starts to refuse feedings. At her pace!

Most Reactions

Latest posts