Raising an African Grey questions

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
[FONT=&quot]Hi Folks! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My husband and I are thinking about adding an African Grey to our family. We have a Green Cheek Conure who has brought so much joy to our home and taught us SO much. We did a heck of a lot of research and reading before we brought Yoda home, and naturally we're going to do the same this time around with the Grey. Any and all advise, stories, tips, warnings, etc would be very much appreciated. [/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]How likely is there to be a problem between our Conure and the Grey? I've been cautioned that our conure is more likely to be aggressive to the Grey than vice-versa, and for both their safety they should be gradually and carefully introduced and never be unsupervised. We will DEFINITELY be careful, but we really hope they get along. Yoda is our first born and we'd never want him to feel neglected or hurt or threatened by the Grey's presence. Yoda kind of "rules the roost" now. He is ONLY in his cage when he is sleeping at night and out on us the rest of the time. Yoda is used to being the only bird. Would he get jealous? Is there any chance that having a new bird might change Yoda's personality? Make him a bully or make him LESS cuddly for me than he already is? Yoda will be one year old in March.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Is there a better or worse age in a green-cheek's life when he would be most accepting of a new flock member? [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Congo or Timneh? I've read articles that insist there are significant differences between the two sub-species and other articles that declare the only difference is size, color and speaking age. What is your experience and opinion? Is it true that Timneh are more easy-going, stable and less likely to pluck? Is it true that Congo are prone to being neurotic and could 'freak out' and have problems if their routine is disturbed? [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Male or Female? I've read that Males tend to be more aggressive, social, and brave, while females can be more aloof, scared and docile. Any truth to this? [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]How much of a problem would it be for an African Grey when we move to our new house? If we move twice in one year, would that be traumatic for the AG? We're selling our house and may end up in a rental house for half a year or more as we find or build our next home (which would hopefully be our forever house). It would be a local move, not long distance. Its possible we end up moving twice within one year. Or twice in two years. [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot]How likely is there to be a problem with the Grey bonding to me and not liking my husband? I work from home and would be here all day, every day with the Grey (and our conure). I expect they would both be out of their cages most of the day (on their own separate playstands and always closely supervised of course). My husband works from the office 4 days per week, so he'd be around the birds for a few hours every evening until their bedtime. He would be heartbroken if that happened as he is every bit as devoted to our feathered guys as I am. I'm kinda the 'favorite' of our Yoda, and my husband would love to be the Grey's favorite. ;) [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]How bad is the dander/dust? How does the dust compare to a cockatiel or cockatoo? To a conure? More or less? How does the dust compare to the "average" dust producing bird? [/FONT]I've read that this isn't too bad as long as the Grey is bathed frequently. Yoda gets a bath about every other day, is that often enough for a grey? Does it have to be in a shower, or is misting or tub or sink adequate?
    [/FONT]
  7. [FONT=&quot]How bad is noise with a Grey? I'm sure they are capable of being louder than a Green Cheek, but is that a frequent/common thing with them? Yoda gets very loud when he's angry about being in his cage. He’s only in there when I run errands or have a conference call,but more often than not he screams while he’s in there and boy howdy that is ear-splitting. How does a grey compare? I can't handle another bird that has this particular habit, I swear they can hear Yoda all the way down the street. [/FONT]
  8. [FONT=&quot]Is it a good idea to ask the breeder to not clip the baby's wings? Are there less issues with trust and bonding to a baby over an adult? We're looking into adopting a baby bird from a local breeder whom we have researched and we trust their methods. We're planning to visit the breeder once the babies are big enough to be visited (but not yet weaned) so we can choose (BE chosen) by the right Grey for us. We've read that it is very important that the Grey be fully weaned and not rushed out of the nest for his own well-being and mental health. We were also thinking we'd ask the breeder to not clip the guy's wings, because we've also read that it's beneficial for the Grey's confidence and coordination to fully learn to fly and get around before their wings are clipped (if we ever choose to clip, Yoda is flighted). [/FONT]
  9. [FONT=&quot]How does an African Grey compare to the mess of a Conure? We're now intimately familiar with our conure with regards to how "messy" it is…food mess, poop mess, potty training, etc. [/FONT]
  10. [FONT=&quot]How sensitive to nighttime activity is a Grey? Should the Grey’s cage be in the center of activity in the house, or away in his own room for night-time silence? We generally put Yoda to bed around 10pm but are often up until midnight or even 2am watching TV and listening to music and such. Yoda’s cage is in the dinette, which is next door to the living room. It’s not the quietest room in the house, but Yoda doesn't seem to mind the noise after night time. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you in advance for your help, sorry for the crazy long post. :D[/FONT]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your list is extensive, but clearly shows an intense interest in researching Life with a Grey.

Regarding your moving! I would strongly recommend waiting until you are into your new home! The emotional load of the process of building and having to move to a temporary home and then on to your home will be a nightmare for the three of you. Adding an addition member to the household, that just crazy!

You have been very lucky that your life style has not turned into a nightmare. It is very possible that your current Parrot is getting lots of daytime sleep.

Many of your question are to be found within the African Grey Forum.

I'm an Amazon Snob and will let the Grey folks address your questions. My only comment is that Grey's are smart, very smart and you will need to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
OP
Squeekmouse

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Thanks for the advice. What of our life style would you think could be a nightmare? Good points about the double move. I'm dearly hoping we would be in our next home soon, but things never seem to go as planned.

For anyone who is scared off by the bajillion questions, PLEASE feel free to only answer whatever you have the energy to read and think about. :)

MooshieBird

Dec 12, 2017
Media
Gulf Coast
Parrots
Mushka CAG 5 years old
African Grey's are awesome! Good choice.

1. Yes to any and all of the above. They may be great friends, or hate each other. They may bond and ignore you. They may end up cordial but not friendly. One may love the other forever but be despised in return. There is no guarantee that any positive or negative outcome. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. After everyone gets acclimated try it out and ALWAYS chaperone even if they get along great. An African Grey is significantly larger than a GCC. And a GCC can do more damage than you might expect. My Grey hates other birds. Greys are single species flock birds, their flocks are all grey and they don't let other species in their flock as a general rule while most conures (note sure about GCC) live around multiple species and I have heard that can make a difference. Before I got her she attacked a BnG Macaw and put him in the Vet's for a couple of weeks. The attack supposedly lasted just a few seconds but the BnG Almost lost his tongue and some toes.

2. Generalizations are based in truth but often fail to last when reality sets in. I would choose Congo or Timneh based on the actual bird, not generalizations. Mushka is a Congo and not neurotic but is clingy and needs several hours of attention daily. African Greys are generalized to be aloof and not cuddly, Mushka is very hands on and NEEDS her cuddles. She deals well with new things but we constantly work to Socialize and Desensitize. A well Socialized and Desensitized Congo is going to be more stable than a un-cared for Timneh and vice versa. The Timneh is more likely to be an easier companion but there is no guarantee. So I repeat select the right bird, not the right species. How you care for them will be a much more important factor.

3. I reiterate, pick the best bird for your family. Mushka is female and is aggressive, social, and brave and not aloof, scared and docile.

4. Once again it all depends on the individual bird. Because Greys are so intelligent they often don't react well to sudden change. They like to have time to mull new things over in their head. Additionally if you are still in the process of bonding, moving may hamper the process. Not to mention the difficulties of moving birds in general. It may be best to wait but it really depends on your situation so I am only comfortable giving my opinion of the issues that may arise. Yes it could cause problems that could prove difficult to overcome, but if you have had the time to bond and have spent lots of time desensitizing it may be fine. Younger Grey's do overcome change better than an older Grey as a general rule but it all depends on your bird and your situation. I leave that to your judgement.

5. Grey's are flock birds and if well socialized they often have several friends they like to be with. At the same time they often do have a favorite. It is not uncommon for them to be one person birds. It all depends on the individual bird (are you seeing a pattern here?:D). Anyone wanting to spend time with the bird will need to take the time to spend with the bird, if that makes sense? Grey's can be picky and the best way to be friends with them is to spend lots of quality time with them. Mushka loves me, likes 6 other people, is cordial with most men, tolerates most women, views young children with disdain, and violently hates 10% of the population for God knows what reason.

6. Not as bad as a Too, but worse than a Tiel. Invest in a HEPA air filter, makes a huge difference. Bathing helps but there is always some powder and if you have allergies Grey's can set them off. Mushka bathes when she feels like it because she hates being sprayed. I repeat, AIR FILTER. The powder from a Grey compared to the dander of a conure is significantly more. And it is more powdery so way harder to clean up. Spray or standing water are both fine and effective, just what you and your bird prefer in my opinion.

7. Mushka talks ALL THE TIME. At the same time she is never at the volume level of conure screaming. She really doesn't scream, they can but most stick to chatter, whistling, and sound effects for the most part. Grey's are not as loud as most med-large parrots and many people find their loud calls much easier to handle but they are by no means quiet. I personally love it because I love to listen to Mushka talk and do sound effects, but it can make keeping up with a TV show challenging at times. The chatter seems more constant than many other parrots but not as obtrusive as the scream of many other birds.

8. It is best to let a young bird fledge even if you are planning to clip later. Mushka was clipped when I got her but I am letting her feathers come back. She can fly some now and it is AWESOME and SCARY. Make sure you are prepared for flight if you go that route. Check the stickys in the Amazon forum, there is some great info there that applies to all parrots flying. Lots of posts on this forum about that so you may want to do a search, lots of opinions, pitfalls, and safety info on these forums for flying.

9. Bigger the bird bigger the mess. Greys have the need to take everything apart and figure it out. And when a parrot takes something apart it is most often destroyed. Grey's a SCARY SMART and if they want to figure something out, they do not care about consequences. All parrots can be like that but Grey's may be the worst. So yeah, more than likely you'll spend lots of time cleaning the mess.

10. Mushka gets a minimum of 10-12 hours of sleep. I cover her cage in my bedroom but I have to leave a corner open or she gets upset. Also a night light (blue) and music softly in the background. But that is Mushka. The same post on the amazon forum that has the flight info has some good info on parrot sleeping needs that apply to many birds not just amazons. Bed time should be quiet, but awake time needs to be in the middle of everything. Grey's are social and need to be around you when they are awake.

To make a short of it, every African Grey is an individual. And every African Grey family is different. I can spew all kinds of advise and maybe 50% will be applicable, and the other 50% dead wrong.

African Grey's are SCARY SMART. They need interaction, toys, space, entertainment etc. When they do not get what they need they develop the problems they are notorious for. Barring illness or diet deficiencies, how stable they are is almost entirely dependent on how you care for them.

You mention "be chosen" . That is how I got Mushka. When I decided to get another bird after being bird-less for years, an African Grey was not in the cards. They were too big, too hard, too neurotic, not cuddly, needed too much experience I didn't have. There were so many reasons for me not to get a Grey. After Mushka chose me I made the decision that I could would get a Grey and it was a decision I know was right and have never regretted. When you do decide to get a Grey keep an open mind to anything and I wish you the best of luck.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Second attempt Timneh deleted the first try some how she got a hold of my mouse oh and just in case your are wondering yes she does know how to turn my monitor off. I gave up on my games and focus on my Parrot Game lol. She has destroyed keyboards and cracked t++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++h frame of my computer monitor. I left that in Timneh typed that part. oh she gave up on the keyboard so she shut off my monitor oh crap now she has my mouse again. So you get the idea if a gray w+ants+ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ attention they get it. she won't scream she will just take it. Rarely she will let out her frustrated scream when I don't return enough

of her whistles in a timely fashion. Timneh stays up pretty late but she also sleeps in in the morning and naps while I'm at work. This works for Timneh but may not work for every parrot. Mr. Boats was talking about Yoda maybe not getting enough sleep and getting a bit cranky I believe. I don't cover her house at night. If she knows I'm still downstairs she will keep whistling for me to come back and have some more fun. As soon as I go upstairs she stops whistling and settles in to her bed ( a knot and wood block toy.) I also have a night light on for her its a moon light on my aquarium so she can find her way to bed. I actually have a lot of allergies and Timneh doesn't bother me but I do have air filters running. She can coat the leather chair next to her house in a couple days with dust not heavily but you can see it fly out when shes doing her thing but she also hates water and uses bowls for bathing at her leisure. And gets misted a couple times a week. I also run a large humidifier for her. Timnehs smartest attribute I would say is her word association. She knows hey, hi, and hello all mean the same thing. Morning is when its light out, ow is when it hurts, her human expressions are always on point. I told her I was going to get her she grabbed my finger and said "no". I scared her on accident she flew around the house came back and said what the hell. Timneh is absolutely amazing and I stop and wonder if I really heard what I think I just heard or not. She listens to audio books every day and rarely says the same things more than once. I believe her vocabulary to be insanely impressive but she is just working on saying things more clearly. If she tries to say to many things like a sentence per say who knows the words get to jumbled and you can't understand them. Hope this helps a little bit to the insight of an African Grey. Timneh is sitting on my monitor watching me to make sure I do things right. Oops I forgot the part about to retyped the part about how strong Timneh is. Pretty much any smaller parrot I have played with in the pet stores so far have been tickles to how strong Timneh is. She seems to know my pressure points now too she grabs my knuckle just right -and with very little pressure so it seems she can cause great pain. I had to teach her about bite pressure so she knew she wasn't suppose to draw blood so knuckle busting is what I +ca+ll it+ was her alternative for +bending me to her will. She has gotten much better but will still use it if she gets frustrated. a 30 second time out on her perch and me walking away is all she needs for punishment and it usually fixes things right up as long as I stay consistent. Give her an inch and she will take a mile. My brother shakes off burns and knife wounds at his restaurant but screams like a little child when Timneh pinches him, so make sure you can handle the bite. Thats what I needed to know when I first met Timneh and I went right up to her and took her worst and was able to keep smiling so I knew I would be alright. It really feels like she could break my finger if she wanted to though shes that strong. Its also taken her over a year to explore like backs of chairs and some other places in the house she had previously avoided. I'm really glad about this cause working with Timneh and actually getting her harness on will hopefully be way easier if shes comfortable standing on a counter top or back of a chair now. I feel like I got super lucky with Timneh she was my first parrot and she has taken all my learning in stride and trained me very well. I don't think all g-ra+ys would +-have been +as tolera-nt of me. hope this helps a little bit to show the world

of an african gray newbie.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
1- Melding this question a bit with #2, Yoda's size is closer to that of a Timneh vs a Congo. There is never a guarantee two birds will become friendly or barely civil. Gradually introducing and maintaining a supervised visit is best, ensuring the both get equal attention. I have a Timneh living with 3 Goffins and they get along just fine, uncaged and unsupervised. At one time the grey also lived with a Moluccan and Citron.

2- Congos are larger and more visually appealing, though I've only had Timnehs. At one time had 4 and they were mostly mellow and never plucked. Haven't any experience with a Congo.

3- I've had 1 female and 4 males; the female was a bit more ornery, but so was one of the males!

4- Greys are not particularly amenable to change. I moved twice in the past 24 years and they didn't enjoy the disruption, but quickly acclimated. Cage changes or rearrangements are a chore, but tolerated.

5- Bonding is a wild card. You can be scrupulously even with handling time, feeding of treats, etc and wind up being totally dissed. With an older bird and documented history, there is precedent. With a young bird, no promises!

6- Some dander, but far less than a cockatoo. Most greys have a distinct slightly pungent odor. I enjoy it!

7- Greys can be vocal but in my experience tend to produce pleasing dialog and various familiar sounds. Never had an issue with screaming, though they can produce a "growling" sound when angry or frearful.

8- I never clip a young bird's wings as the fledgling process is vital for their confidence and maturity. For those who do, you'll have to query them for a rationale.

9- Can't compare with a GCC, but greys are capable of assertive chewing and destruction.

10- None of mine were covered or sequestered at night time. Ensuring plenty of sleep is good for a mature attitude and good health.

Omar81

Feb 3, 2018
Hi. I got Congo African grey approximately 10 days ago. Approximately 3 years old. Was told that Charlie spoke human words in previous home (I have no proof of that, just sellers word). All the details and questions I had are in a previous post (labeled: what to expect). I just wanted to share a bit about my experience. Maybe it will help. About the noise level, Charlie is LOUD!!! Till now he has only been making 'natural parrot sounds' (the sort I assume they make in the wild). No human words or mimicking. But even though I had some a ton of research I was not prepared for the volume of the sounds made. The whistles and screams are ear-peircing!! I mean it is at a level that I'm really worried on the long run I could get hearing damage from being near him. I REALLY hope soon he starts talking and mimicking so that hopefully his vocalizations will be more bearable (volume wise).
As for their intelligence and sensitivity and dislike for change. Well from my brief time with Charlie I can say that is all true. He is VERY cautious and weary of anything new. Unfortunately he only eats seeds (probably all he was given at his previous home). I will definitely work on that at a later stage but everything has to be done at an insanely slow gradual rate. With Charlie it is like walking on ice! I gain an inch of trust and then the simplest of things he doesn't like he takes a mile back! For example yesterday i decided to try giving him a carrot. A few days ago I gave him a small carrot and he chewed it to pieces like he chews a piece of bird safe wood in his cage. But I could tell he was just biting it to pieces and not eating it. Anyways yesterday I put a bigger, thicker carrot in his cage (thinking it would endure his chewing for longer than the 30 seconds the previous one lasted. Well he went ballistic!!! Staring at the carrot and growling/screaming with his feathers puffed up!!! And he climbed to the bottom of his cage still growling and screaming!! He stayed like this for maybe 15 minutes till I took the carrot out! After that for the remainder of the day we were back to square one in terms of trust. I had lost all progress i had made. I'm just using this to illustrate that CAG (At least Charlie) can be EXTREMELY sensitive. In my research before getting Charlie, I came across stories of CAG's that were in a home with loving caring owners very well bonded for years and suddenly stopped talking or started trouble behaviour and after days of trying to figure it out, the owner discovers it is a simple change like a new vase in the room that caused this big behavioural change in the CAG!!! I'm sorry if this seems a bit harsh or judgmental but it seems to me that such an intelligent animal should VERY easily be able to understand that its loving owner of many years would never do anything to harm them... or that simple thing like a new vase or different curtains are not dangerous and do not warrant going into a deep depression over. Note: I have raised almost every kind of animal you can think of, but I have never had a pet that is so sensitive/stubborn/moody.
Again I'm sorry if it seems I'm being harsh but the thing is whenever I get a new pet, I really give my ALL to give it the best of care and help it adjust to its new home. But yesterday's episode with the carrot made me very frustrated and made me feel like I'm walking on eggs or on ice (and I'm terrified that this will always be the case) around Charlie because the slightest disturbance or change could cause a deterioration of his behaviour.. .etc...

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Omar81, let your CAG (name??) settle in to his new surroundings. Sit with him, non threatening, read or talk softly to him. When Enzo fluffs up and growls, usually when the hoover is around I talk softly to Enzo,'its ok' etc and the hoover will be out of her sight in seconds. Anything that scares her is removed immediately in general. If she gets aggresive or over excited I stand perfectly still with a stern face and remain silent for a few seconds, 5-10s and she always calms down, always. If he is only eating seeds, try eating close to him and make 'yummy' noises but without offering the snack to him, his inquisitiveness may well get the better of him and he may come over to try this new wonderful food. HTH.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I love all the research you are doing!

1. We have a CAG and conures, but they are in separate rooms and have no contact with each other. Our CAG, Justice, was a breeder bird for all his 17 years before coming to us, and was mistreated in his last home. He is interested in our other birds who share his room, but not friendly with them if they come near his cage.

2.I have never had a Timneh so will let the others speak to this one.

3. We only have a male, but my friend has males and females, and there seems to be little difference in hers.

4. Justice hates change, and it took him awhile to settle back in after we moved. This could just be him as an individual rather than indicative of the species, though.

5. There really is no telling who the bird would bond to...Justice is one of the few birds we have who not only prefers me, but actively dislikes my husband. I am the main caretaker for our guys and am here all the time, but still most of the birds love my husband best. 50/50 chance on who your new guy would prefer:)

6. Justice is not nearly as dusty as our too, but he does produce a great amount of dust just the same! I definitely recommend an air purifier.

7. I have only heard Justice scream when we have to do his nails or take him to the vet. He is always talking or making noises (beeps,phone ringing) but not a lot of bird noises.

8. The baby should definitely be allowed to fledge before clipping, and I wouldn't clip unless it was absolutely necessary.

9. Justice is a dunker...we keep 2 water dishes in his cage at all times, and he uses one to dunk and drinks from the other. His is messier than our conures for sure.

10. Justice does not do well with less than 10 -12 hours of sleep at night. He wakes quite easily so I know he wouldn't do well with noise after bed.

OP
Squeekmouse

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Holy Smokes!!! What an incredible response I have gotten from the ParrotForums community. My husband and I bought 3 books, have been studying everything we can find on the internet, visited two parrot pet shops and called others as well. We want to make sure we make the right choice at the right time. All the reading in the world can't really say the practical, every day experience that we get from an actual AG Parront though, so I can't thank you all enough!!

MooshiBird:
Wow! What an excellent reply! Thank you so much for the info. I definitely see a common thread through your post and others; Every African Grey is it's own self and each is different. This is why we are definitely going to see and socialize with multiple babies to find the one that chooses US. Sure, in the end we are rolling the dice to see who the little guy becomes but we're trying to stack the deck to give us the best odds. ;) Ok, so I mixed metaphors... you get my point.

Billdore:
Not only did you post an excellent, entertaining and helpful post... you did it twice! Thank you and thank you again! I couldn't stop laughing at your Timneh's contributions to the reply. As I type on my keyboard that is missing two keys (had to wrestle them out of Yoda's beak!!), he has been pouncing on my hands, crawling up under them, and now he is murmuring happily on my shoulder having tired himself out from all the fun. Sounds to me like an AG would be the same, but larger and therefore MUCH harder to type around. I would certainly never be lonely again I think. ;) Truly this isn't a decision we'll take lightly.

Scott:
Great info, thanks so much for all of those answers! Would you say that the Grey smells anything like a conure? I love the way Yoda smells. My husband thinks he smells a bit like popcorn when he is wet. You say the mess can't compare with a GCC, is that mostly due to the chewing and desctruction? Do they fling food more than a GCC does?

Omar81:
I've read your other thread, it was excellent. I've been living vicariously through reading of your experiences! I sympathize with your recent frustration, I think Charlie is lucky to have you all the same. I think he's lucky to have you and I'm sure he'll grow to trust and love you. :)

Bigfellasdad:
I'm going to steal the advice you gave Omar, if you don't mind. ;) Thanks for the post!

Tami2:
I have to admit, your posts and pictures of Levi in the past are part of my inspiration for wanting an Africa Grey. Levi is so precious!! I've read and re-read that CAG 101 post, excellent excellent info!

Terry:
I'm SO glad to hear your thoughts and experiences!! We researched the heck out of our choice to get Yoda, and he chose us that's for sure. We must have done something right because he is our little ball of joy, for certain! As everyone keeps saying, every Grey is different, so every person with their own experiences and points of view are very very helpful. We were thinking we should get a male, but it's starting to sound like male or female doesn't really matter so much as the individual bird and US. Good to know!

Thank you all once more! :D

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Everything everyone said...ditto!!!! Once you enter the grey world, it’s very difficult to turn back! My Nigel is a beautiful snob who can frazzle me and melt my heart. My husband (never before loved animals) can’t imagine our home without our little snob. Maybe he will teach us some class? This is the best place to be to learn and grow with our parrots. I love this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
" Tami2:
I have to admit, your posts and pictures of Levi in the past are part of my inspiration for wanting an Africa Grey. Levi is so precious!! I've read and re-read that CAG 101 post, excellent excellent info!"

WOW, I am truly honored. :01: Please feel free to explore more of my boy …
http://www.parrotforums.com/members/tami2-albums-levi.html

Great!! I wish I knew about that thread prior to bringing Levi home. I had to conjure up all that info on my own.
He hated me for at least a month. But, I persevered and it was sooo worth it. ;) He loves me to pieces & the feeling is mutual. :heart:

You sound like me, I started buying African Grey books probably 6 years prior to getting Levi. I didn't want to screw it up ... Ha
And also watched Tons of You Tube videos. You are doing everything right! :smile049:

I did the same and chose the baby that chose me. Plus, he was a tad darker than his siblings. So, he caught my eye immediately.

I narrowed my choice down to three, an Amazon, a U2 & a Grey. (the top talkers) After much research and than more ... I decided on a Grey. We've had him 18 months now & I believe we made the best choice for our family. He is actually very quiet and at times you wouldn't even know we had a parrot. Don't get me wrong, he does have his chatty moments . Mostly, when I'm on the phone. :D

He is very engaged and does not like to be left out. He wants to be and is very much a contributing member of our family. I was actually very surprised at how engaged he was comparing him to 20+ years of raising Labs. He wants to be in the middle of everything.

He definitely prefers me to my Hubby, but he will tolerate him in my absence.

I've been told females can have a larger vocabulary, but I'm not sure I buy that. I'm a firm believer that what you put in is what you get out. Just sayin.

He adjusts very well to new situations as we take him everywhere. One, b/c he is a member of our family and two, b/c we want to desensitize him. We do have a routine, as you know they are creatures of habit and thrive on regularity.

He always gets 12 hours of sleep. His cage is in a different room from our family room in both houses. I also cover his cage.

I have no experience w/ Timnehs, as Levi is my first and only Parrot.

That's all I got for now. If I think of anything else I'll jump back in.

I hope some of this helps.

Have a good night.

OP
Squeekmouse

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
WOW Tami! So many of those pictures look like they should be hung on the wall, so beautiful! You must be a professional photographer!

Two more books about African Greys just arrived from Amazon today... Yoda is looking forward to chewing on on them. He's already perforated the first one we got. What can I say, Yoda is an avid reader... he just devours every book that comes near him. :D

MooshieBird

Dec 12, 2017
Media
Gulf Coast
Parrots
Mushka CAG 5 years old
Just a heads up, check the publication dates on those books. I have an older parrot keeping book, published 1995, and quite a bit of the info in it is dated or just wrong.

OP
Squeekmouse

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Mooshie, GOOD thought!! Of the three books we got, one was dated 2003, the other two are just a few years old. I figure by reading 3 books, more internet articles than I can count, bugging everyone at the two bird specialty shops in our area, and pestering everyone on the forums, I can get the most complete picture to help us make good choices.

Seems to me, all the biggest decisions I have made in my life, whether I thoroughly research it or just go with my gut, in the end it always comes down to doing my best and then getting lucky it works out for the best. :)

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
I'm really excited for you, getting a CAG is fantastic. I don't know if you have had kids or not, but when I first got Enzo I found it very similar to having a child emotionally and on a somewhat lower level in effort. A very similar level of satisfaction too. MY kids however where far better behaved than Enzo!

Most Reactions

Latest posts