Rambo laid an egg (updated 24.04.2022)

zana

Sep 14, 2020
Two days ago, Rambo laid an egg. She is not interested, she even pirced the egg. What to do now? Remove the egg from the cage? btw, her belly is a little bigger, I guess that she will drop another egg soon.

20220413_170107.jpg

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Two days ago, Rambo laid an egg. She is not interested, she even pirced the egg. What to do now? Remove the egg from the cage? btw, her belly is a little bigger, I guess that she will drop another egg soon.

No. Don't remove the eggs. LLeave them there until she has no interest in them, then take them out. Otherwise she'll lay more eggs to replace them.
Also, the pic isn't working..

Edit: Oh she is not interested.. well, then remove it.

OP
Z

zana

Sep 14, 2020
The egg is pierced....and after 1-2 days will be spoiled. Is it dangerous for her?
She eat tropican lifetime formula and I added almond and hazelnut. I read that almonds and hazelnuts contain calcium.

OP
Z

zana

Sep 14, 2020
Rambo played with the egg few times...thinks it's a ball maybe 🙄
Now she don't even touch it. I put the egg in a visible place in the cage, but she don't give a f***.

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
I accidently dropped Squeaky's first when removing it. It hit the floor like a rock. Its been a couple of years since then. She has laid 4 more since then. Some break some don't but never shows any interest.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The egg is pierced....and after 1-2 days will be spoiled. Is it dangerous for her?
She eat tropican lifetime formula and I added almond and hazelnut. I read that almonds and hazelnuts contain calcium.
in that case remove the egg.

Off-topic, but I'm a bit suspicious of tropican lifetime formula's ingredient list...
Composition: Cereals (72%), derivatives of vegetable origin, seeds (3.5% (flaxseed 0.5%)), minerals, nuts (peanuts 3%), oils & fats, vegetables, yeasts
They are very unspecific and they contain "derivative of vegetable origin", which is a long way to say "Vegetable by-products"...

OP
Z

zana

Sep 14, 2020
I read that lifetime formula is very good, but I'm not much familiar...don't know.
Thanks for your fast response :)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I read that lifetime formula is very good, but I'm not much familiar...don't know.
Thanks for your fast response :)
I personally whouldn't feed it, but if it's the best you can then so be it :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Personally I would remove any egg that's damaged in this way. It's a bit hard to tell exactly what's happening with Rambo and that first egg. Some hens simply don't recognise their first egg for what it is and will react the way Rambo has. Others, and this depends on the species, will pretty much ignore the first egg or two until they have laid closer to the usual number of a whole clutch, which in the case of lovebirds is around 4 - 6 eggs, only then will they show interest in sitting on them. I'm not familiar with lovebirds myself so I don't know which situation this might be for Rambo.

There is a decent chance that she does already have another egg forming, so do be on the lookout for that. It's generally best to leave the eggs with the hen where possible, and allow her to sit on them long enough until she works out for herself that nothing is going to hatch. It might be to your advantage to try to find some dummy eggs to replace Rambo's real ones with. She can then sit on those to her heart's content and you don't have to worry about her breaking them. I know of a very good online supplier of dummy eggs, www.dummyeggs.com, but I'm not sure if you are located in the USA or if they would ship to you. You might very well find a local supplier though.

Please keep us updated and let us know if Rambo has any more little surprises for you! I hope she will be OK 🙏

OP
Z

zana

Sep 14, 2020
today she laid 5th egg. I expect another one in next 2-3 days. She broke 2 of 5 eggs.
She stole my keycap puller. No idea, why she hide it under the paper on the bottom of the cage.
e7dWMV9.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Lovebirds typically lay between 4 - 6 eggs per clutch, so you probably can expect a few more. If you are unable to get fake eggs to replace them, you can take her eggs and boil them for a few minutes. This will give them a bit more durability as she sits on them, and it also means that if she does happen to break them while sitting (like my Lilly did!) that you won't have a nasty smelly mess to clean up off your bird!

If you possibly can though, do try to obtain some fake eggs to replace the real ones. Then your little hen can sit on them worry-free for as long as it takes for her to realise they aren't going to hatch and loses interest in them all by herself, and that could take a good three weeks or more. I always had fake eggs on standby for my Lilly and they worked very very well indeed :)

Last edited:
OP
Z

zana

Sep 14, 2020
Rambo is not interested. Eggs are just in the corner and she don't give a f**k about them :D

I add 1 roasted almond (40 seconds in microwave) per day to her bowl with pellets. Thanks god, that she like almonds (calcium), because she not like mineral perches/cuttlebones.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Rambo is not interested. Eggs are just in the corner and she don't give a f**k about them :D

I add 1 roasted almond (40 seconds in microwave) per day to her bowl with pellets. Thanks god, that she like almonds (calcium), because she not like mineral perches/cuttlebones.
I realize this is an old thread but a whole roasted almond per day for a lovebird is too much rich food. This may be partly why she is laying eggs: her body feels like it’s in the perfect situation to have babies: a safe home, someone who loves her, and more than enough food.

(Too bad about the name, though. Rambette ? I hope Rambo is done with her egg laying.)

Most Reactions