Random thoughts on parrots

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
please share yours!

Mine is that the wing shrug greeting, and the one leg and wing stretch, is way for a parrot to say see I'm healthy!! My wings work, i can balance, no injuries here!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Great topic Laura!

Agree, wing stretch appears to be greeting! Some of mine fly, land, and partially extend wings.

"Eat like a bird" to be healthy! Maximize intake of fresh veggies/fruits, cereals, moderate protein and sugars. (easier said than done!)

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
I would say more of letting us know.
I am relax and you may approach. And when you put your hand out to step-up and they step-up and want a head scratch. That would be the greeting.

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
please share yours!

Mine is that the wing shrug greeting, and the one leg and wing stretch, is way for a parrot to say see I'm healthy!! My wings work, i can balance, no injuries here!

A different view of the same:

Since the addition of Meisha into my household I have had an appreciated for my ballerina's forms, particularly her arabesque.

Arabesque defined: (French; literally, "in Arabic fashion") in dance, particularly ballet, is a body position in which a dancer stands on one leg—the supporting leg—with the other leg—the working leg—turned out and extended behind the body, with both legs held straight.

In avian dance, the bird exaggerates the form with an outstretched wing over the extended leg.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hmmm, lots of in flight points!

My favorite is the flighting directly at you and a quick couple wing 'pops' with dropped tail feathers, which results in a near 20" (1/2 meter) direct vertical lift as they 'pop' over you! Landing near by and providing a all too smug look. I can, you can't!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The ruffling of feathers when you suddenly wake a bird up.

Ok,you woke me up this better be good.

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Hanging upside down flapping his wings screaming as loud as can be then stopping and looking at like "What:.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I love all your random thoughts on parrots!!!!
I love that they descend from dinosaurs, that tgey are the primates of birds

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Me, I like watching Salty as he ramps up, playing with a toy on his play chain. It's usually his long tubular bell. He starts softly talking into it, repeatedly banging it with his beak, the soft vocalizations get louder, more strident until finally he is in full 'Amazon' mode, screaming at it, and then either he launches himself in a short flight, or he attacks a wood toy that he CAN tear apart.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have thought about starting a thread like this but never came up with a good title.

Buying toys.

When buying toys at the local pet shop, after you have ruled out toys you feel are unsafe.
Go one size bigger.
If you have a budgie get a toy for a Cockatiel.
If you have a Cockatiel get a toy for a Conure.
If you have a Conure get an Amazon toy.
I don’t know how you could upscale a Macaw toy.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have thought about starting a thread like this but never came up with a good title.

Buying toys.

When buying toys at the local pet shop, after you have ruled out toys you feel are unsafe.
Go one size bigger.
If you have a budgie get a toy for a Cockatiel.
If you have a Cockatiel get a toy for a Conure.
If you have a Conure get an Amazon toy.
I don’t know how you could upscale a Macaw toy.

You are so right!!!! My budgies play with my parrot toys!! Just so true!!

May i add do the same thing with perches!! I put Amazon / macaw size perches for my GCC and Quakers, even the budgies prefer them

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Archie does a 360 degree rotation from standing upright on his rope perch, to upside down, back to upright...in like a millisecond. Like a somersault just using his balance.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Archie does a 360 degree rotation from standing upright on his rope perch, to upside down, back to upright...in like a millisecond. Like a somersault just using his balance.

Now that takes talent.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
They way they are equal-opportunity in terms of human genders when selecting humans as mates is sort of unique. Don't get me wrong, I know individuals have their own preferences, but as a group, if they confuse a human for a mate, it seems to be pretty much a coin-toss in terms of gender across the board.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My quakers do a hammer peck to defend against me putting a hand in the cage, especially during breeding season. Its just like it sounds they bang their head in my hand, no bite or blood draw. Screeching too. It seems to be their polite way of saying get out 0f here! Now if I reach all the way in I get tge real bite. Also during current breeding season and past ones, is tge launch out if cage for in flight bites. Earlier today I git the hover bite when I opened the cage . I should have taken time to greet them, explain its time to come out. Because even during breeding season they do come out nice when I take time. Away from the cage they are their normal friendly selves.

Do any of you get a hammer peck from your birds, of any species? I'm wondering if its a quaker only type of thing?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My quakers do a hammer peck to defend against me putting a hand in the cage, especially during breeding season. Its just like it sounds they bang their head in my hand, no bite or blood draw. Screeching too. It seems to be their polite way of saying get out 0f here! Now if I reach all the way in I get tge real bite. Also during current breeding season and past ones, is tge launch out if cage for in flight bites. Earlier today I git the hover bite when I opened the cage . I should have taken time to greet them, explain its time to come out. Because even during breeding season they do come out nice when I take time. Away from the cage they are their normal friendly selves.

Do any of you get a hammer peck from your birds, of any species? I'm wondering if its a quaker only type of thing?

Oooh, hammer peck! Never thought of it that way but exactly what some of my flock does to "discipline" me. Usually quick head motion with beak closed, quick tap of the tip on my hand. Mostly done by my untamed female Citron and Goffins patriarch.

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
For so many of us we spend, hundreds of dollars even thousands of dollars on are feathered freinds.
And for some of us we just have to open the back door.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hmmm, Hammer Bite? No, just a matter of how much pressure and if hard, commonly includes that deadly grinding motion!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Oooh, hammer peck! Never thought of it that way but exactly what some of my flock does to "discipline" me. Usually quick head motion with beak closed, quick tap of the tip on my hand. Mostly done by my untamed female Citron and Goffins patriarch.

ok so it is a universal parrot communication. Its so stylized. And really seems to be used in restraint. Telling you to back off idiot, without hurting you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts