Rare gurgling sound blue fronted makes, what is it?

Vadb

Apr 18, 2017
Hello all,

I have a blue fronted amazon and recently from time to time when he plays, he starts to make some strange noise, which worries me a bit.. I thought maybe it is a reproduction period. He starts to talk and talk and then suddenly starts making this noise..
When I grab a camera to film him, he sometimes stops making the noise (since he was also curious about my camera)..

this is the video
[ame="https://youtu.be/8BMEABTB84M"]bbbb - YouTube[/ame]

PS. he is very often outside the cage, has the mineral stone to bite, drinks only bottled water, fruits, vegetables, rice, no junk foood, takes a bath every 3 or 4 weeks or so.

Thanks a lot!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Sounds sort of like a chicken to me [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Your bird is "hot to trot"
it wants to um... you know mate with something.
It's looking to rub it bum on something.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't know your bird but the way it flutters it's wings make me think he is a SHE.

I could be wrong. but My RLA (female) acts this way when she is "in the mood"

texsize

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Is it a gurgling noise like your stomach gurgling, ie something internal or a noise made by your parrot?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Yup! Hot To Trot! This is a mating dance and its accompanying sounds! Its Spring Time at your place. :D

FYI: The turned wood rod on top of the cage appears to have a metal rod on the left end of it. If so, remove that metal rod!

Amazons enjoy bathing like every day to maybe once a week. Every three to four weeks is way to long for an Amazon.

If you haven't or its been awhile, Read Alond to your Amazon, the first two Threads in the Amazons Forums: Read: Understanding Body Language First, which will provide you a solid knowledge base as to what your Amazons is communicate. Re-Read it often! The other: I Love Amazons - ... is a huge Thread with numerous segments that will provide you a knowledge base for Loving and Living with an Amazon.

Enjoy!

OP
V

Vadb

Apr 18, 2017
Thanks a lot guys for all your replies.
Regarding the metal rod, I actually removed the pedicure perch, because it was partially destroyed by the bird and I need to repair it..

This bird entered my balcony about 8 years ago, I think it escaped from somewhere, it does not have any banding, so I assume it was not brought legally to the country (I live in Argentina, in South America and I believe this area is not very controlled here, since in the north, close to Brazil and Iguazu falls is the natural bird environment and sometimes you dont even have to cross the border to bring it)

I really do not know if it is she or he, he was always a bit agressive, even though he is always ready for a massage. Maybe the room is too small for him and he may feel that his territory is under a threar, unless this is a female and I do not know if females behave the same.

Does anyone know an effective technique to tam it, maybe I can start working on it, so if one day I need to take it to a vet, I can do that easily?

Regarding the bath, I searched in the web and found that a complete shower (wet to the bone) you can do it once in a month or so, but a light shower is allowed almost every day (I do this in summer time, summer in Argentina is in December, January and February, now we are in autumn))))))))))), its a bit strange I know... so I was a bit confused about the mating period, need to search for it.

How can I find out the birds gender?

Again, many thanks for all the answers!! Appreciate it.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yep. Normal "horny bird" amazon noises... it's that time of year, and your bird is hormonal. That's all this is.

So are mine at the moment... get used to it. :)

jhsatx

Jul 23, 2016
We're alike in the fact that a Ferrell bfa entered into our lives.
Our Ferrell began this exact behavior a couple of months ago.

This website gave us the tools to developed a relationship we most likely wouldn't have this bird.

There's some people here that could quite possibly have bird DNA in them.

You will not find a more valuable resource for your situation.

Good Luck

QUOTE=Vadb;647652]Thanks a lot guys for all your replies.
Regarding the metal rod, I actually removed the pedicure perch, because it was partially destroyed by the bird and I need to repair it..

This bird entered my balcony about 8 years ago, I think it escaped from somewhere, it does not have any banding, so I assume it was not brought legally to the country (I live in Argentina, in South America and I believe this area is not very controlled here, since in the north, close to Brazil and Iguazu falls is the natural bird environment and sometimes you dont even have to cross the border to bring it)

I really do not know if it is she or he, he was always a bit agressive, even though he is always ready for a massage. Maybe the room is too small for him and he may feel that his territory is under a threar, unless this is a female and I do not know if females behave the same.

Does anyone know an effective technique to tam it, maybe I can start working on it, so if one day I need to take it to a vet, I can do that easily?

Regarding the bath, I searched in the web and found that a complete shower (wet to the bone) you can do it once in a month or so, but a light shower is allowed almost every day (I do this in summer time, summer in Argentina is in December, January and February, now we are in autumn))))))))))), its a bit strange I know... so I was a bit confused about the mating period, need to search for it.

How can I find out the birds gender?

Again, many thanks for all the answers!! Appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

OP
V

Vadb

Apr 18, 2017
Is it a gurgling noise like your stomach gurgling, ie something internal or a noise made by your parrot?

I couldnt describe it accurately, so I made a short video about it.
He also imitates water drops sounds, but it is a bit different

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
For you and your Amazon, this is early Fall (Natural BFA Range) and too early for a Natural on set of Hormonal activities. Use the Sun's day as a guild as to how much sleep your Amazons should be getting. It is likely that your BFA needs more sleep and that is bring-on an the Hormonal activity.

DNA Testing is the only non-invasive method of verifying the Sex of an Amazon Parrot.

Building a relationship with an Amazon requires that you develop a trust bond with your BFA. Only good things happen when Human are around. It is important that the effort involves one-on-one time, commonly four or more hours each day. Amazon's love to be read to! So, any reading your have to do - sit next to your Amazon and READ.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When I lived in South America virtually ALL the birds that ended up as "pets" were wild caught.

Wild Caught birds still retain their wild instincts. You have to overcome those and get the bird to trust you number one. Food and scratchies help...

The other thing is that hormonal birds can be unpredictable... so that could be part of it too. It's that time of year.

Have you read my amazon body language post?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

Yup! Hot To Trot! This is a mating dance and its accompanying sounds! Its Spring Time at your place. :D

FYI: The turned wood rod on top of the cage appears to have a metal rod on the left end of it. If so, remove that metal rod!

Amazons enjoy bathing like every day to maybe once a week. Every three to four weeks is way to long for an Amazon.

If you haven't or its been awhile, Read Alond to your Amazon, the first two Threads in the Amazons Forums: Read: Understanding Body Language First, which will provide you a solid knowledge base as to what your Amazons is communicate. Re-Read it often! The other: I Love Amazons - ... is a huge Thread with numerous segments that will provide you a knowledge base for Loving and Living with an Amazon.

Enjoy!

Yep! I agree..Amy does that from time to time too..

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I hope that the information has helped you understand what your Amazon is doing.

Please make copies of the two 'Sticky' Threads as the top of the Amazon Forum so that you have copies of the information as part of those two Threads. They will provide you information to support your Living with and Loving your Amazon.

Take great care! Know that the people of Argentina have many friends in North America and that we care that you and your Amazon are safe!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It looks like he's trying to regurgitate for you, yes this is a hormonal behavior and if he ever does this and looks to vomit a small bit of something up it's okay, he's doing it on purpose to try to feed you. I suggest that you search "Solar Schedule" in the search bar here and get your bird on one, this will curb his hormonal behavior and help to stop any aggressive behavior that may follow.

Why in the world is there a piece of wood on top of his cage with a metal rod sticking out of it? It looks like a screwdriver or something? PLEASE GET RID OF THAT BEFORE YOUR BIRD BADLY HURTS HIMSELF ON IT! I don't know if you have that there for him to scratch himself on or if it's just something for him to chew on, but either way it's very, very dangerous and you need to get rid of it or at the very least pull the metal rod out of it and give him the wood back. He could easily cut himself on it while using it to rub on, he could fly or jump and land on it impaling himself on it, he could accidentally poke himself in the eye on it, or much worse! Bad toy! Please get rid of it immediately!

Also, and I'm not trying to be harsh towards you or hypercritical of you (although that wood with the metal rod has just got to go now before something bad happens), but that blue cage that appears to be his since he's on top of it, it has toys in it, and a cover on it, is WAY TOO SMALL for an Amazon, it looks to be the proper size cage for a budgie or maybe a single cockatiel, but it's probably too small even for that. It is in no way an appropriately sized cage for an Amazon! He needs a cage that he can fully open and spread both of his wings in without them touching an part of the cage, and needs room to walk around, crawl up and down, and actually play with his toys! That cage is hardly large enough for him to just sit motionless in! Please do a search in the Amazon forum here for cages and take a look at the average size of the cages people have their Amazons in, you're going to find that your cage isn't even a quarter of the size of most of the cages people here have their Amazons in! And it doesn't matter how often he is allowed out of it, he shouldn't be locked in a cage that size at all! Please remedy this immediately!

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
"Amazons love to be read to"
Well we will see this weekend. I have to read a 35 page ISO Quality standard, and if you think watching paint dry is boring - thats like watching a prize fight compared to this. Poor Salty.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
"Amazons love to be read to"
Well we will see this weekend. I have to read a 35 page ISO Quality standard, and if you think watching paint dry is boring - thats like watching a prize fight compared to this. Poor Salty.

LMAO!!! :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Jim

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
What Wrench13 says: All materials used must be new, Salty, and meet or exceed Bristol Standard 402.3 and be blue. Additionally, Salty, no trace amounts of molybdenum are permitted in the scarfulous residue piles.

What Salty hears: Blah blah blah blah Salty blah blah blah blah blah blah Salty...

Most Reactions

Latest posts