Ravvlet’s Ringworm Rodeo

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Y’all know that saying, “no good deed goes unpunished?”

We adopted a kitten from a local rescue who had a very distinguished Roman nose…that turned out to have been a scab that was the same color as her fur!

It was ringworm. It’s been a month of oral meds and not only is she still positive but our adult cat we already had has a rash that we had to get cultured today. We’d been isolating her as well as the kitten in the hope of preventing spread, but the kitten had been home for a couple weeks before her first vet appointment with us (the rescue had taken her in for her spay surgery just a few days before we adopted her!) Everything got washed, is going to be steam cleaned, or was thrown out, haha. In addition since it’s proving particularly stubborn we added a topical ointment and medicated baths to our routine - I would rather give oral meds to a dozen angry amazons than bathe one 12 pound monster cat!! She ripped a glove clean in half and almost sliced my hand open.

For anyone who finds themselves wondering, “what ringworm treatments are safe around birds?” The answer is oral meds, topical creams (wear gloves and wash your hands!) and medicated shampoo. Do NOT do lime sulfur dips. The smell is very strong, the chemicals are harsh and it’s not a good time for anyone. Source: our avian vet who also sees cats and dogs (although our cats go to a vet who is closer to us).

Anyway, it’s been uh. Well. It’s been an experience. I’ll never complain about having to clean Kirby’s nostrils again. Since the cats are kept far away from the birds and they don’t usually go near the dogs, both our parrots and dogs are oblivious. It’s kind of funny.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
That sounds like an awful mess. At least you don’t have to treat the birds, too. Hope your kids don’t get it from the kitty.

No worries about that, I’ve been checking them diligently and on top of that the basement recreation room is closed to business until the cats are sorted - we have one in the bathroom down there and one in a cat kennel. I go and give them treats and food and socialize with them in the morning before I shower & at night before I change into PJs to reduce risk. Tbh, it’s the same fungus that causes athletes foot and I’ve had that before, so it’s not that bad for people!

Bathing them has been uh, an experience, but we have all survived so far. Fingers and toes crossed that come March they’ll be out of kitty prison. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts