"Raw diet"

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Let me start off apologizing for spamming the forums with tons of questions (New to tapatalk, don't really know how to work search)

With carnivores they do better on a raw diet vs. Kibble.

I'm curious if there's a "raw" diet for the feather kids obviously many parrots require different nutrition requirements.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J321AZ using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I feed Harrison's pellets, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. 30-ish years ago, Harrison's was still a small company. My vet was actually able to talk to Dr. Harrison about my bird's species and status, and they decided on the High Potency. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff. My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic.

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
With parrots stuff like eggs and chicken can be given to ensure they get protein, but cooked of course. Fruits and veggies are recommended as well. But in the end, I feel like a good pellet based diet is best in ensuring they get everything that they really need.

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
With parrots stuff like eggs and chicken can be given to ensure they get protein, but cooked of course. Fruits and veggies are recommended as well. But in the end, I feel like a good pellet based diet is best in ensuring they get everything that they really need.
With feeding pellets that are meant to be complete, how do you know that the eggs, cooked chicken, fruits and vegetables are not going to mess up the daily requirements?

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
With feeding pellets that are meant to be complete, how do you know that the eggs, cooked chicken, fruits and vegetables are not going to mess up the daily requirements?

Moderation, You ensure that they're eating their pellets and use the other stuff as a supplement. I free feed pellets and give Curry some dehydrated greens and veggies to supplement his pellets.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Fungi, it's best to consider pellets as a vitamin and mineral supplement for parrots. Akin to using kefir, tripe, etc. for dogs, the nutritional analysis in pellets ensures that parrots are consuming the required nutrients to provide a "balanced" diet.

That being said, pellets themselves really aren't the best diet overall for most parrots, and in some cases are hugely detrimental to their health. It's in your best interest to feed a predominantly fresh diet with thoughtfully selected ingredients to ensure that your parrots are consuming a varied amount of proteins, minerals, vitamins, carbs, and fats. After they've consumed their fresh food, you can supplement that feeding by providing quality pellets. Birds often fill up well on pellets too, meaning they stay full longer. Naturally the fresh foods are digested quickly and easily, especially considering the efficient nature of their digestive systems.

EDIT: And just to quickly add, one of our members specializes in providing her parrot an amazing, truly raw diet. You can look up Kiwibird and her posts once you've grasped the search function (open the menu button or click the magnifying glass to search her user name).

Last edited:
OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Fungi, it's best to consider pellets as a vitamin and mineral supplement for parrots. Akin to using kefir, tripe, etc. for dogs, the nutritional analysis in pellets ensures that parrots are consuming the required nutrients to provide a "balanced" diet.

That being said, pellets themselves really aren't the best diet overall for most parrots, and in some cases are hugely detrimental to their health. It's in your best interest to feed a predominantly fresh diet with thoughtfully selected ingredients to ensure that your parrots are consuming a varied amount of proteins, minerals, vitamins, carbs, and fats. After they've consumed their fresh food, you can supplement that feeding by providing quality pellets. Birds often fill up well on pellets too, meaning they stay full longer. Naturally the fresh foods are digested quickly and easily, especially considering the efficient nature of their digestive systems.

EDIT: And just to quickly add, one of our members specializes in providing her parrot an amazing, truly raw diet. You can look up Kiwibird and her posts once you've grasped the search function (open the menu button or click the magnifying glass to search her user name).
Awesome so I am not off my rocker for asking about a more natural diet! I will search for the posts when I wake up from my nap.

Most Reactions

Latest posts