Reaching a Milestone

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So my Sam has been pretty much a one person bird, and he's only 8 months. I can do anything and everything with him - at any given time, and today he surprised the heck out of me.

We were done with dinner, I was putting stuff away in the garage, came back in the house, and there was my oldest son, Michael, holding both Hunter AND Sam. :eek:

"WTH?" Was my reaction. "How did you get HIM out?" Was the next question.

"He looked upset when I got Hunter out, so I opened the cage and he came right out, " said Mike. :eek:

Here are some pictures...and THIS is a milestone for all of us. I am SO happy....

IMG_6521_zps803469bd.jpg

Touching??? Not so much. :eek:
IMG_6529_zps7fb50fb0.jpg

But of course he can touch Hunter ALL day long ;)
IMG_6532_zps3c093e6f.jpg

Let's try this again...
IMG_6533_zpsebc948bd.jpg

Nope...not yet
IMG_6534_zpsfaa9d37b.jpg

But Sam did NOT fly away.
IMG_6536_zpsf911c24c.jpg

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
hahahahaha i just love the 'nope... not yet' ;)

YAY thats excellent news! Well done sam! and mike!! :)

Thanks Tab. I swear, I was truly dumb-founded when he was holding SAM...of all birds...SAM??? LOL.

I'll be adding another picture shortly...just so you all can see what GREAT progress Sam has made about stepping up on people. ;)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
LMAO!!!!!!!! Boy can I relate to that!!!!!!! I can get them out any time......but NOOOOOOOO touching!!!!!!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
The sky is the limit now. The biggest step is having them trust someone other than the favorite person. Once they make that 2nd friend the rest come so much easier/quickier. Like i always say, "there's nothing like a well socialized zon". your doing such a great job, Your a good birdie momma. Something that unselfish so enriches your bird's life. Congrats

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
While we were away (to Georgia to pick Mike up), my youngest son's GF stayed here and watched my zoo.

Check THIS out:

Sam stepped right up onto her arm. :eek: It scared the hell out of Nikki, but Sam was quite the gentleman. :)
SamWithNikki1_zpsd3b24ce9.jpg

And my dogs??? They LOVE her...as do I. ;)
NikkiampOscar_zps54bcdcb1.jpg

NikkiampDogs_zpsc8d5fbf8.jpg

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
LMAO!!!!!!!! Boy can I relate to that!!!!!!! I can get them out any time......but NOOOOOOOO touching!!!!!!

...and man did Mike try hard...but he knew better than to force that hand on him. :eek: He's been nailed by him MANY times, and Sam means business when he DOES make contact. ;)

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
awwww!!! that is awesome! Sam is so darn cute. It would be killing me not to get to hold him.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Aww, I'm so happy for you Wendy! :D I can relate, but I think on a lesser scale. I was completely elated when Oliver finally stepped up onto me after a few months. Now he likes me over my mom. :rolleyes:

Hey, I have that same magnet! :p

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The sky is the limit now. The biggest step is having them trust someone other than the favorite person. Once they make that 2nd friend the rest come so much easier/quickier. Like i always say, "there's nothing like a well socialized zon". your doing such a great job, Your a good birdie momma. Something that unselfish so enriches your bird's life. Congrats

Richard, you were SO right about that!!!! The first step was THE hardest ever, but now he's ever so slowly mellowing out....and I can honestly see the progress daily. It's an incredible feeling. Turns me into pure moosh. :eek:

And THANK YOU! For everything!!!!!! From the bottom of my (non yankee) heart. ;) You're THE best!!!!

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
These pictures are so beautiful Wendy!!! Your son has a way with your birds hey haha! :D

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
So nice..Awesome photo.. Cute zones..preaty coole son dare..kepp on the good work:):53:

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
These pictures are so beautiful Wendy!!! Your son has a way with your birds hey haha! :D

Thanks kc. :) You're right...Mike is REALLY good around them, I thoroughly enjoy when he interacts with them.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So nice..Awesome photo.. Cute zones..preaty coole son dare..kepp on the good work:):53:

Thanks so much, oled. We'll try. Mike's only going to be home until next Wednesday, but I know that no matter how long before he comes home again, my birds will NOT forget him.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Thats brilliant Wendy :)

This is exactly how Codie is with Daniel.. He will step onto him, but NO WAY is he allowed to touch him LOL

raven2013

Banned
Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Media
Albums
You know, I think birds can tell when someone really likes birds. Like you said somewhere, it is like a magnet. There are some people you could not pay Judy to sit on their should or even go near them. She just senses something about them.
I am the only one that she will kiss and pamper. She ever preens my eyelashes. Everybody says, "When she takes your eye out, you will wish you had not done that." I do not believe that Judy would ever hurt me. She pics around in my hair, the edge of my hairline, my eyes, and my nose and it does not scare me in the least.
She has bit me twice really bad. One time she got her toe caught in a chain and I was trying to help her get it out and she took a hunk of meat out of my hand, and another time I startled her and boy did the blood pour. She was sitting on my legs and I threw a blanket over them and she reached out and got my hand. I was bleeding so bad my neighbor called an ambulance. Blood shot on the walls and floor. My neighbor said later, "I will be d----- if I would keep a bird that mean, I would kill it." I said, "Why, it was not her fault, I startled her. Why should I punish her becasue she got scared. Here are some pics of my bite. Two bites in 26 years is a pretty good record to be around her almost 24 hours a day. She really is a good bird even if this bite makes her look mean. It was just an automatic reflex for her. My hand was black and blue inside and out and down my arm for about 6 weeks.
parrott-bite.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions