Received parakeet egg

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
Hello,
I have received a parakeet egg, and am looking for advice on raising the chick. Just looking to see if anyone has raised them and has tips to share of things that they wished they would have known before. Thank you!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Unless you received this egg directly in person from a breeder, it is highly unlikely to successfully hatch. This is a very common scam, selling parrot eggs, sorry to say.

And, in the unlikely event that the egg does hatch, caring for a newly hatched chick is very difficult, requiring specialized equipment, a lot of knowledge and big amount of luck. THe smaller the species the harder it is to get everything right. We just had someone who tried to do this and the chick literally died in his hand on day 2. THis may seem harsh, but it is a fact and you need to be prepared for this outcome.

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
I got it directly from a neighbor :) it is on day 5, i candled it early this morning and they seem to be doing great! I am aware of the hardships that I will encounter if he/she hatches, I am just trying to look out there and see if anyone has anything they learned on the way that they wouldn't mind sharing with me. :)

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I suggest you go to the Breeder sub forum here and review most of the threads and posts.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Baby parakeets are tiny. How has it gone with this egg? Have you incubated it? Has it hatched?

The syringe I used to hand-feed Tiny (one of my baby 'keets) would jam and i often thought I should have ground up the hand-feeding formula even smaller than it already was, before mixing it with the warm water. The syringe-diameter was too Small for the formula-mix but still too Big for Tiny's little mouth.

I was terrified to injure the babies by hand-feeding them, and I only fed Tiny because she kept getting lost under the other babies, Mama wasn't finding her to feed her, so she would have starved without my assistance. (This meant, if I accidentally killed her, she was no worse-off than she would have been.) The same will be true for your egg If or When it hatches. (Since you don't have a Mama-bird to feed it.)

I don't know what the correct temp for a baby bird, but without a Mama-bird & nest-mates to keep the baby warm, it will need an incubator for warmth. Both before and also after hatching.

I looked youtube to get the idea of technique of How to hand-feed, but the one video that seemed most helpful, actually included instruction to do something (squeeze/massage the crop) that I THINK could've actually wound up killing a baby bird instead. I recommend Not to do this. Tiny got huge bubbles of air in her crop whenever I fed her, but it seemed to settle out after-a-while between feedings.

Without a mama-bird, a baby will need fed quite frequently, every few hours. Newly-hatched budgies are teeny teeny tiny!

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Hello, the egg should hatch tomorrow, I candled it 3 days ago, i am not 100% positive if it is alive still... but if you know me, I am not the kind to take a bird egg (let alone any egg) out of the incubator if I am not 100% sure either way. I do also collect sparrow eggs, i have 3 of them that are fertile, I have raised sparrows from eggs, they are similar in size but i know they are different diets.

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
I have slowly started peeling a little bit at it, no signs of life, but i started it.. (ik ik ik.. never assistttt...) I have a gut feeling that it moved on a few days ago, but I jsut wanna pretend its alive :(

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
I have slowly started peeling a little bit at it, no signs of life, but i started it.. (ik ik ik.. never assistttt...) I have a gut feeling that it moved on a few days ago, but I jsut wanna pretend its alive :(
Aww I’m sorry
Breeding and raising young chicks is one of the most difficult and intimidating things to do!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
ok, I was just curious, since they always have so many.. I saw one on the ground one time as a kid, few minutes later it was squished... couldn't the parents have told their kid to not step on it like come on it is a bird aviary. In hindsight, I wish I would have taken that one..

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
I may ask my neighbor for more eggs next season. she know how I take care of my parakeet, she wont give anyone else eggs XD. btw she has a large aviary, and has a few hens with chronic laying disorders.

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
I may ask my neighbor for more eggs next season. she know how I take care of my parakeet, she wont give anyone else eggs XD. btw she has a large aviary, and has a few hens with chronic laying disorders.
Please do not. If you want more eggs, then please get a breeding pair..- It's very difficult to care for an egg (and the following chick) without experience. You should experience parrots being born in the natural way before trying to raise one yourself.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It's best not to. Unless they are getting rid of the eggs, the parents should hatch the eggs themselves. Hatching eggs and raising very young chicks yourself often ends up in heartbreak.

Most Reactions

Latest posts