Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I am interested in good books to learn more about parrot anatomy as well as to understand the physiology and biology of the parrots I keep. I would value suggestions for specific books.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You could find a current or near-current ornithology text; thatā€™s where I started with undergraduate ornithology. I still have that book but itā€™s embarrassingly old now (ornithology by frank b gill) . Though birds are still put together the same, natural history hasnā€™t changed; classification and molecular biology has changed so some info is wrong.

I have an abridged copy of ā€œavian medicine: principles an applicationā€ by Richie, Harrison, and Harrison that I check occasionally to answer questions. The problem with consulting a vet medical text is that you need a vocabulary and substantial understanding to use those texts. Just as I can access some of the same websites my dr uses, I donā€™t have the training to use that info as well as he does. I get SOME info from Dr google but it doesnā€™t replace consulting with my dr, examination, testing.

Last edited:
OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Thanks, @HeatherG, but I am not interested in orniths, just parrots. I don't think I've even seen an ornith. (Lee humor)

The problem with recommending a vet medical text is that you need a basic vocabulary and understanding to use those texts.

I have many books that were over my head when I got themā€”and "in" my head after I worked through them. I have grad-level textbooks on such topics as liposomology, ballistics, injection molding, etc.

You might appreciate this one; a bit dated, but still fascinating.

If a book is worth the work, to me, I'll do the work. :]

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks, @HeatherG, but I am not interested in orniths, just parrots. I don't think I've even seen an ornith. (Lee humor)

I have many books that were over my head when I got themā€”and "in" my head after I worked through them. I have grad-level textbooks on such topics as liposomology, ballistics, injection molding, etc.

You might appreciate this one; a bit dated, but still fascinating.

If a book is worth the work, to me, I'll do the work. :]
I love finding old texts and going through them! Sorry I was not sure if you only wanted parrots.

As I recall there are reference books aimed at ā€œexotic birdsā€ but they will have much info gleaned from poultry studies, usually most info is intended for parrot type birds with some added info about ratites, raptors.

Amazon.com will give you publisher names and then you can go to individual company websites from there. Iā€™ve found used texts on ebay as well; eBay certainly links many used book resellers.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

BSAVA Manual of Psittacine Birds By: Nigel Harcourt-Brown (Editor), John Chitty​

Is listed now on ebay for about $100 US dollars.

Clinical Avian Medicine and Surgery by Harrison and Harrison​

from 1986 for $25.

And a copy of avian medicine, principles and practice by Ritchie, Harrison and Harrison from 1997 is still useful and about $25.

My point in previous post was that these texts about ā€œavian medicineā€ are generally intended for use with pet parrots; if a book is intended for poultry/livestock it will be labeled ā€œpoultryā€.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Sorry I was not sure if you only wanted parrots.
Oh, no, I wasn't complaining or objecting. :] I was just making an ignorance joke because you pointed out the importance of a base vocabulary. :LOL:

I would prefer to just focus on studying parrots, ideally; but, I realize that may not be possible in some cases.

Amazon.com will give you publisher names and then you can go to individual company websites from there.

That is a great ideaā€”thanks!

This price-engine site for books has been around forever, and it is still useful.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots

BSAVA Manual of Psittacine Birds By: Nigel Harcourt-Brown (Editor), John Chitty​

Is listed now on ebay for about $100 US dollars.

This is just what I was looking for!

Might you know how it compares to a seemingly-similar newer book by that publisher?

Available on Amazon

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
This is just what I was looking for!

Might you know how it compares to a seemingly-similar newer book by that publisher?

Available on Amazon
I donā€™t know how it compares. If you go to a book dealer most likely youā€™ll get a similar price. If you donā€™t mind a used or damaged book you can get that cheaper.

Sometimes you may find textbooks at thrift stores in university towns. My city has a famous st Vincent de Paul which occasionally boasts high value texts for only dollars.

Unfortunately I donā€™t have ROOM for all the books I would like to keep.

Most Reactions