Red rumped parakeet

Mcm18

Sep 25, 2021
Parrots
Two green cheek conures and one black capped conure
I have a black capped conure and am thinking about getting a friend for him. Would a red rumped parakeet be a good companion for my Gomez.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, Mcm18 :)

Your placement of this thread in the "Cages" sub-forum poses an interesting question. Was it placed here because you wish to know whether your potential parakeet can be housed in the same cage as your conure? If so, I would advise against it, since many conures are known to be rather territorial and can become aggressive. Housing two parrots together in the same cage sometimes does work - I have a budgie and cockatiel sharing one right now, although it must be said that they are rarely locked in together and neither of them are particularly territorial so in their case it works. My lorikeet on the other hand is HUGELY territorial and prone to bouts of extreme aggression and simply cannot share a cage with anyone. Your birds may get on just fine outside their cages in neutral territory, but I think it's best if you arrange for your new addition to have it's own living quarters, for safety's sake :)

OP
M

Mcm18

Sep 25, 2021
Parrots
Two green cheek conures and one black capped conure
Yes, that was my question. Thank you for your input.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You're most welcome, I hope it helped :)

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Welcome Mcm18!

I have never had close contact with either species, but someone told me red rumped parakeet are extremely territorial. That person compared them with the same level of territoriality of the pacific parrotlet (which I know well) and I would say that must be a good amount of aggressiveness.

Moreover, if the cage is small, I always think there is some risk or disease transmission as microorganisms that are not harmful for one species, might be to the other.

Last edited:

Most Reactions