Red spectacled amazon

Dany3030

Feb 16, 2018
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about acquiring a new parrot. I already owned a BFA before, but I left him with my dad when I moved out. My BFA bonded with my dad so much, I didn't have the heart to take him away from my dad, he loves that bird hahaha.

Anyways, there are a few breeders at my region that breed red spectacled amazon. I have found so little information about them on the internet. I have seen people call whitefront as spectacled amazon, but red spectacled are a different subspecies

Here is a red spectacled:
Red-spectacled%20Amazon.jpg

Does anyone have one of them or had had any experience with a red spectacled? How much do they differ from BFA (especially temperament wise)? Any experience input would be greatly appreciated. I am having hard time finding any reliable source about this subspecies.

Thanks.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I had one when I was in my 20's. Skylar was a really nice parrot, quiet and socialized well with my family at that time. He went everywhere with me.. laundramat, library, supermarket..always on my shoulder. Was happy to just hang out, sitting on my ex's lap watching tv. A mellow parrot, especially compared with a BFA. Good luck.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Having a single Red-Spectacled Amazon (Amazon pretrei pretrei) Breeder in one's area would be unusual, having several is near unbelievable. It is important to know that RSA's are and have been a Appendix I, CITES classified Amazon for many years!

They are an endangered species! There are very specific documentation requirements that have been in place for this species of Amazon. Assure that the Breeder that you are working with knows the documents s/he needs to provide you and that you take those 'original' documents to your Certified Avian Vet for them to copy and included in the medical file! Assure that you keep those documents in a very safe place (like a safety deposit box).

There is a very fine line between the two specifies of RSA and it is best to assure you have a proper document trail, which defines the species of the Parents and if at all possible the grandparents.

See the Post above from 'Wrench' regarding the joy of owning this species of Amazon. Please remember that it is always best to allow the Amazon to choose you!

OP
D

Dany3030

Feb 16, 2018
I had one when I was in my 20's. Skylar was a really nice parrot, quiet and socialized well with my family at that time. He went everywhere with me.. laundramat, library, supermarket..always on my shoulder. Was happy to just hang out, sitting on my ex's lap watching tv. A mellow parrot, especially compared with a BFA. Good luck.

What about vocalization? how was your experience with it? And also thanks a lot for your input, it is hard to find someone that had one!

OP
D

Dany3030

Feb 16, 2018
Having a single Red-Spectacled Amazon (Amazon pretrei pretrei) Breeder in one's area would be unusual, having several is near unbelievable. It is important to know that RSA's are and have been a Appendix I, CITES classified Amazon for many years!

They are an endangered species! There are very specific documentation requirements that have been in place for this species of Amazon. Assure that the Breeder that you are working with knows the documents s/he needs to provide you and that you take those 'original' documents to your Certified Avian Vet for them to copy and included in the medical file! Assure that you keep those documents in a very safe place (like a safety deposit box).

There is a very fine line between the two specifies of RSA and it is best to assure you have a proper document trail, which defines the species of the Parents and if at all possible the grandparents.

See the Post above from 'Wrench' regarding the joy of owning this species of Amazon. Please remember that it is always best to allow the Amazon to choose you!

Yup, I am aware of it. I live near its original habitat, that is why I am able to find breeders. Some of the "breeders" are very sketchy but I found 2 that are trust worthy. One of those breeders is actually the breeder I got my BFA from, a legit regulated breeder ;)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There are no assurances regarding vocalization, whether sounds or words, soft or loud! That is far more an issue of your efforts.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Skylar was a quiet parrot, just normal amazon squawk and stuff , he didn't talk, as 'Boats says, that's mostly the effort one puts in. Back then, who knew how to work with parrots? 40 years is a big difference in how one works with a parrot, from then til now, for me anyways. Who knows, in 40 more we might have thinking caps for parrots, get 'them to recite War and Peace!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I own a BFA and while I haven't ever been around a red spectacled amazon, but I grew up with a green cheek amazon (AKA Mexican red headed amazon) which I believe is a fairly close relative. He was an exceptionally quiet bird, only vocalized when his 'girlfriend' (a DYH) was out of sight for too long or someone had a treat he wanted;) Temperament wise, he was very gentle-natured, tolerated everyone, responded well to commands, never bit anyone in my memory and did not have a single aggressive bone in his entire body. He was basically everything anyone could have hoped for in a companion parrot. Smaller amazons are generally considered to be of a better temperament than their larger "hot 3" (BFA, DYH, YNA) cousins and make arguably better companion birds as they are not as prone to the aggressive tendencies larger "hot 3" amazons experience at puberty/during mating season.

Most Reactions

Latest posts