Regret ...

Navygal

May 15, 2023
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hello family:

My CAG - Sailor is 8 months old, she's really a sweet girl. When I first got her my husband convinced me to
have her wings clipped so she wouldn't fly into our ceiling fans. My husband is a nice guy but he knows
nothing about parrots- he has a lot of opinions and suggestions. Always eager to share them with you.

Prior to Sailor getting her wings clipped she would fly to me short distances. Now she only fly's when she's
frighten and then it downward. Can anyone tell me, will she grow those feathers back and fly? I wish I could
go back and undo that day. Is there any hope for Sailor and I?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello family:

My CAG - Sailor is 8 months old, she's really a sweet girl. When I first got her my husband convinced me to
have her wings clipped so she wouldn't fly into our ceiling fans. My husband is a nice guy but he knows
nothing about parrots- he has a lot of opinions and suggestions. Always eager to share them with you.

Prior to Sailor getting her wings clipped she would fly to me short distances. Now she only fly's when she's
frighten and then it downward. Can anyone tell me, will she grow those feathers back and fly? I wish I could
Oh @Navygal, I'm so sorry you and Sailor are going through this :( Can I surmise from the info in your post and Sailor's age that the clip was done some months ago? I've never had a Grey, but from what I can find on the interweb they generally start to moult their baby feathers into adult ones at around the age of 9 or 10 months or so, and from there it may take around 6 weeks or so for them to grow to full length. If this is the case, then hopefully you won't have to wait much longer before those clipped feathers are shed and she replaces them with nice new ones! Depending on whether she had learned to fly before they were clipped you may have to teach her, but they will grow back in gradually and that should allow her to grow in confidence with flying little by little every day.

Hopefully other members who do own Greys will spot your post and weigh in, and even correct me if I'm wrong with my info. But I hope this helps in the meantime, because she will grow those feathers back ultimately :)

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Answer - yes the feathers will grow back, eventually. Having a fully flighted parrot in the house means everyone, and that is EVERYONE, has to be keenly aware of where the parrot is at all times. Not just to prevent an escape thru a door or window, but also to avoid crushing the bird in a chair, seriously injuring one perched on a open door that is closed suddenly, landing in the kitchen area during times when hot stuff is on the stove or oven, being whacked by a ceiling fan left on, and on and on and on. If everyone is not on board with this kind of awareness, it might be best to keep her clipped.

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
4 1/2 years old now CAG..got her at 14 weeks...Debbie is still clown! Now almost 4 1/2....never a dull moment!
Oh, I agree with wrench13, fully flighted is a huge responsibility! I love when our Debbie ( soon to be 7years old) is fully flighted! Buzzing through the house, landing most anywhere! A constant eye out for where she is and what we’re doing that may harm her.
Don’t misunderstand, we keep her flighted as much as clipped.
Hormonal times, yes plural for Debbie, twice a year here in Florida, she becomes pretty aggressive and overly attached sexually . At those times if it gets too intense a light feature trim and she settles down almost immediately. Doesn’t pout or seem to get angry or sad. One flight attempt where she can’t gain altitude and she understands!
oh, BTW, yep, she’s hormonal as I write this!

Rsells

Oct 5, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Hello family:

I think she will learn not to fly which is safer for her. My 26 yo CAG learned he could fly at 24 and then would crash!

Most Reactions

Latest posts