regular harness or flight suit

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
The baby cocatiel I'm looking at won't be ready to rehome for another 4-8 weeks but the breeder has all her babies trained to wear a regular harness. I have recieved pictures of two of her babies outside in the harness or inside being petted all while wearing the harness. So the baby I may possibly get is already trained to wear a harness but I like the idea of the flight suit as a way to keep the bird poop off of me while s/he is on me. Which one would you guys reccommend?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I recommend portty-training :) If the "regular harness" you are talking about is the Aviator harness, it is basically the safest option. That said, I used a flight suit in Flick, my GCC, before she could fly (she came to me clipped) but now that she can fly I dont trust the flight suit.

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I have never tried potty training with a bird and have no idea where to start on that. However yes when I say regular harness I am referring to the aviator harness. To me it looks like a regular dog harness just super small which is why I call them a regular harness.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I highly suggest you do some googling and familiarize yourself with birdy potty training. Just keep in mind that young birds are like any other young animal and do not have full control until they are about a year old.

Most Reactions

Latest posts