Regurgitating constantly!

Lynn57

Apr 4, 2014
Hi, my GW is about 12 yrs old and I have had her now for two yrs. She is a wonderful bird and I love her dearly...but she tries to regurgitate to me constantly, whenever she us out with me she is constantly trying. I put her on the floor to run around and she goes to my feet to try, I take her to sit on the bathtub ledge with me and she does it there. I then put her down on the floor and she tries there...it seriously is constant. So far I have ignored it by looking away or walking away if possible This has been going on now for over a year. But it is obviously not making a change in her.
Would love to be able to get a handle on this? Help anyone ?
Thanks

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I get it several times a day from both big macs... it's a form of "I love you."

Just not a particularly pleasant one.

I taught mine to eat it themselves, thank you. They regurg for me, usually using a hand or a finger, but then they keep it.

It's a natural feeding behavior. You can reduce it by not stimulating them, but I'm not sure you can really ever eliminate it...

OP
L

Lynn57

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks Birdman! I do realize why they do it and know that it is totally normal. I was just trying to see if anyone had any ideas on how to lesson the behaviour...a couple times a day would be wonderful LOL
Thanks!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Well, what do you want her to do instead? And how can you reward that other behavior over her regurgitating?

It could be something simple like playing with toys, foraging for food or maybe learning a new trick! Any behavior that is not compatible with regurgitating!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I get it several times a day from both big macs... it's a form of "I love you."

Just not a particularly pleasant one.

I taught mine to eat it themselves, thank you. They regurg for me, usually using a hand or a finger, but then they keep it.

It's a natural feeding behavior. You can reduce it by not stimulating them, but I'm not sure you can really ever eliminate it...

I agree with Mark. My BB does it at least twice a day. I did not teach him to pick up what he drops he just does it.

I imagine it could get annoying. Try keeping a toy he likes close. Distract him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts