Regurgitating or vomiting?

foxmacaw

May 6, 2022
Media
Parrots
Blue and gold baby macaw
My husband Christian is the one who has done most of the research on Macaws, and he's out shopping and didn't answer his phone and I'm inwardly freaking out a little. I walked over to the cage to offer baby macaw a little banana and it released a stream of liquid from its mouth. My mind immediately said "vomit, omg it's sick!" But then I remembered that they do regurgitate food as well. How you do you know the difference?
Google said vomiting would be more forceful. This was very casual. Baby bird was quite nonchalant about it, so I'm assuming regurgitation? But I'd love for somebody else to agree so my heart can stop pounding. O_O

Attachments

• 278910508_553152813082549_7790100110284613805_n.jpg
    278910508_553152813082549_7790100110284613805_n.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 127

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My husband Christian is the one who has done most of the research on Macaws, and he's out shopping and didn't answer his phone and I'm inwardly freaking out a little. I walked over to the cage to offer baby macaw a little banana and it released a stream of liquid from its mouth. My mind immediately said "vomit, omg it's sick!" But then I remembered that they do regurgitate food as well. How you do you know the difference?
Google said vomiting would be more forceful. This was very casual. Baby bird was quite nonchalant about it, so I'm assuming regurgitation? But I'd love for somebody else to agree so my heart can stop pounding. O_O
Did it look like he was pushing it out, or did it just come randomly and his head was flinging vomit all over the place?

OP
foxmacaw

foxmacaw

May 6, 2022
Media
Parrots
Blue and gold baby macaw
I guess pushing it out - definitely wasn't flinging anything. It was a small amount of liquid.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
was the head bobbing and looked happy? Or omg violent.

Head bobbing and happy good, the other bad.

OP
foxmacaw

foxmacaw

May 6, 2022
Media
Parrots
Blue and gold baby macaw
was the head bobbing and looked happy? Or omg violent.

Head bobbing and happy good, the other bad.

Neither really! It was just quite out of the blue. Definitely not violent though. My husband has seen him do it with a bit of a head bob though, so I think it's an affectionate gesture.

Most Reactions

Latest posts