Rehoming

nicolee0085

Apr 27, 2021
Is there anyone in northern Ohio who is willing to take my gcc? She is 9 years old and due to personal reasons I have no choice but to re-home her.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
There are MANY very excellent bird owners on here and lots of really knowledgeable people, but please don't just give your birds to anyone. There are people out there who hoard them, flip them or farm them **the forum can't ban someone just because it suspects that they are up to no good-- unless it becomes blatantly obvious*. DO NOT post on CraigsList unless you are prepared to be a SUPER detective (that is a hot-bed for scams)....Most active members with a decent post history are here without pretense,but for the sake of your bird, you need to do lots of research (even then) on the person taking them, find out if they have other birds (as there is disease and behavioral risk), if they have an avian vet near them, whether they use teflon/ptfe/pfoas/pfcs in the home...what they do to clean (as 99% of cleaning chemicals are not safe for them and can cause cumulative damage) , if they have had parrots, if they have ever re-homed a parrot and why etc etc etc.

There have been flippers on this forum (and this is a great place) but if someone ONLY ever posts looking for birds, or if their first post is asking about your bird, I would be skeptical. I would be VERY careful. I am not saying a new member is automatically bad (we were all new once) but most of the time, members do not make their first post: "I am looking for a conure"...Again, not saying someone who does this is bad, but you really need to make sure you take a lot of care, as this bird is in your care, and didn't choose this situation...Best to make sure he/she goes to a knowledgeable home with a person who KNOWS PARROTS---- so many people who have never had birds want them, only to re-home again (and that is really hard on the bird)...also-- if someone lives in an apartment, that is another risk for your bird (not only because they can get re-homed due to noise and damage, but also because in apartments, smoking neighbors and teflon etc can be out of the owner's control).

Also, if someone sends you pictures of "their" setup, cage, "other birds" etc, I would ask for a video of them holding a sign that says a unique phrase (as many flippers will post pictures of other people's birds/cages in an effort to collect more for a profit or inhumane breeding efforts...and hoarding is a mental disorder (so those people often do the same).

Someone in the business of collecting, flipping etc will try to provide "proof" that they are a "great " candidate (because they want your bird and do this often), but you must dig deeper to confirm this..Don't trust a few pictures etc etc

You might also look into rescues and sanctuaries in your area (but visit before you give, because there are also "rescues" that are not legit.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Look up Ohio rescues and sanctuaries--- even if you go this route, you must ask questions. I rescued my bird from a woman who was listed as running a sanctuary and when I recently looked her up, I saw that she had been charged with multiple counts of abuse and neglect.

You may have to drive a few hours, but again, for a bird who will live many more years who will be undergoing a great deal of stress from re-homing, you should do whatever it takes to find a solid home.

OP
N

nicolee0085

Apr 27, 2021
Thank you all for the advise. I plan on being very picky with where she goes. She means everything to me and this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you all for the advise. I plan on being very picky with where she goes. She means everything to me and this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Very sorry you must rehome your GCC. Hopefully you have enough time to find a wonderful forever home.

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Would like a friend for my 8 year old conure. Retired,rescuer,bird,dog both rescues not looking to purchase,rehome only!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Would like a friend for my 8 year old conure. Retired,rescuer,bird,dog both rescues not looking to purchase,rehome only!

Bonita- you know that they may not get along, right? Don't get a bird for your bird unless you PERSONALLY want another bird (as they may require totally separate out of cage time which would be around 6 hours a day at 3 hours per bird). You would also need to quarantine any new bird for a minimum of 45 days in a totally separate room as far from your current bird as possible.

Just want to make sure you considered all of the potential difficulties before assuming it will automatically get along with your bird. The other risk would be mating--- is your bird DNA sexed?

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Is there anyone in northern Ohio who is willing to take my gcc? She is 9 years old and due to personal reasons I have no choice but to re-home her.

I wish I could but there are two problems. I don't have the capacity to take care of a GCC or any conure now and also I live in India :p

I do not know of any friend in Ohio either but a few cousins and friends live in California, Texas,and New York. Can check with them if they know any worthy person near your neighbourhood.

One of my friends here has a delightful little GCC.

cheers

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Please note that this thread is over two years old, and the OP hasn't been here since June, 2021.

Most Reactions