Rehoming

throwingcopper33

Sep 28, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Female Solomon Island Eclectus
As I come to terms for rehoming my female eclectus Luna, I am looking for advice. I live in Orlando, Florida. Florida seems to have many people who only want eclectus for breeding as a lucrative side business. I remember when I first was looking for an eclectus 3 years ago, I felt like I was dealing with brokers in my area. I had to reach out to an aviary in Texas where I finally felt that I was in communication with someone I could trust and that wanted to find good homes for his birds. Does anyone have advice on the best websites to use that can get Luna to a new loving home?

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
If your avian vet can help, that would be great; however, I would be (very pleasantly) surprised if they did anything other than recommend you contact a "rescue" or "shelter".

I am not suggesting that you relinquish Luna to a rescue/shelter. Personally, I would be very reluctant to do that. However, a rescue/shelter could (ideally should) have a good process in place to weed out "flippers" (those looking to resell your parrot after they convince you they'll keep her forever) or unscrupulous breeders. I qualify that because there are good breeders; but, they would not lie about being a breeder as an unscrupulous breeder would.

A rescue should have a detailed application form and process, require classes on parrot care, and do a home inspection. A flipper or breeder could still use a "proxy" person, so rescues often require the person to visit the parrot numerous times. All this helps add hassle or friction for unscrupulous "buyers". A rescue may have a contract, too, stating that they can take the parrot back after a periodic follow-up.

I have tried "adopting" parrots for my own forever-flock on a variety of online sources. I have also rehomed foster parrots on those same sources. It is very tricky. There are a lot of people out there looking to deceive you about their true intentions for Luna!

Unscrupulous people are lurking on all the sites: CraigsList, BirdsNow, PetFinder, Facebook groups, etc. Some sites let you list 'adoption' versus 'for sale' so "shoppers" know to expect to be screened, versus negotiate price and easily get a parrot.

I cannot vouch for this facility, but I think this is your nearest rescue/shelter, and their site states that they help with rehoming.

If you choose to do it yourself, here are some thoughts.
  1. It's not so much where you list your parrot; it is more about how well you screen people. That is the part a rescue should be good at.
  2. You have to charge really close to what Luna is worth in a pet store as an adoption or rehoming fee, or a "flipper" will buy low and sell high.
  3. You have to be very careful not to detail in your listing what you want people to tell you is how they will care for Luna. Give a brief listing and be prepared to ask open questions, or even misleading questions to see if they answer well.

birdielover15

Oct 2, 2015
Aww I wish you were closer! Id love to chance to own a eclectus parrot But I'm in Pa. I don't breed or flip. Just help give birds a soft landing and forever home. I can understand your dilemma. In Florida so many people raise birds. I'm sure it's easy with the warmer weather... but I'd rather rescue/adopt

sfreitag

Jan 13, 2011
As I come to terms for rehoming my female eclectus Luna, I am looking for advice. I live in Orlando, Florida. Florida seems to have many people who only want eclectus for breeding as a lucrative side business. I remember when I first was looking for an eclectus 3 years ago, I felt like I was dealing with brokers in my area. I had to reach out to an aviary in Texas where I finally felt that I was in communication with someone I could trust and that wanted to find good homes for his birds. Does anyone have advice on the best websites to use that can get Luna to a new loving
I’m so sorry you are going through this. I can only imagine how hard this is for you. My girl is the same age as yours and she is our only bird. I would take her but I’m no where near you. I’m in Illinois.

Most Reactions

Latest posts