Relocating B/G on Thursday need words of wisdom

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
This is my 93 yr old mother in laws bird that has bonded with me over the years. I'm moving her to my home now. The trip will be 10 hrs in a cage that is very large and fitted with 2 large purches and food and water. Question is about what to expect when she gets to new home new cage. I will keep diet and routine stable. I plan to allow her to become a companion bird if she wants. She does allow me to touch and hold her. So I think, after a period of acclimation, she will be open to a companion life style after being in a cage for 9 years. I get into her aviary with her and she lets me hold her like a baby and pet her all over. I think she will transition well. I just need advice on what to look for and what not to get too anxious about after the stress of the trip. She will be in cargo of plane for 3 hrs. Going from warm climate to warm climate. I have cover for cage for plane part of trip. All words of wisdom from experience welcome. I joined this forum many months ago in preparation for this move. I have been reading posts and preparing for this responsibility.
Many thanks. LindyLou277:blue1::eek:

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I would start with getting her used to the travel cage before she needs it. Anything you could use from her old setup will help her adjust to the new one. Favorite perches, dishes,toys etc. I would not depend on water dishes for the plane trip, not needed, use things like apple slices for water. If she not traveling with you in the plane, be sure to put a note on the cage not to open and water, include a cell phone number.

OP
Lindylou277

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
TY. Apple is great idea. And so are other suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

Most Reactions