Remember, they will be Forever Toddlers...

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
When you are starting off with your new birdie(s). Remember! You will have them a Long Long time. AND they are looking for anything they can turn into a Required Routine!

Remember this when you start singing your conure some sort of random bedtime song. Something Simple and repetitive, like, "I love you, yes I do, yes my Sunny, I love you..." And then when every night you add in, "Lullaby, go to sleep, go to sleep, my sunny Sunny.."

And of course, each night, these extreme simple tunes with extreme simple words have to be repeated several times.

Oh, and then! After a year or so, your budgies will make it known, that THEY also want to be sung to. They want the songs with THEIR own names, sung Directly to Them in their cage, too. So that is Another several repetitions. Every night.

Every night.

Youall know there are certain kids' songs that no one ever wants to hear. Because, those simple, extremely repetitive songs will Not Stop in Your Head.

BUT. Actual kids will Grow Out Of Them. But not feathered kids!

Beware. You have been warned. Do NOT invent earworms for your birdies' pleasure. They will never grow out of them! You will have your "Lullaby - I love you" song repeating in your head every night for hours, FOREVER. You will enter the Twilight Lullaby Zone and you will never ever escape!!

....I love you, yes I do, yes my Birdies, I love you. I love you, yes I do....

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
YESSS ..That D*MN bedtime song is OFTEN necessary, but so repetitive...make it one you like!! LOL!!

I made up the STUPIDEST song that I now sing nightly and seriously think I need to record in the event that I randomly *knock on wood* am in some sort of accident!!

Here it is-- I can't even give you a tune, although it is established, I totally made it up:

"OhHhHhH once upon a time there was a nicey girl, a biggy pig, a very nice girl! Oh once upon a time there was a nicey bird and she liked to sing this song (*all night long*<- quiter voice) COCKATOODY, COCKATOODY (<--loud), YOU ARE A SCOOTY OLD BOOTY (*sometimes snooty, depending on the mood**), cockatoody, you're so nicey, and you are a ***wait for the made up word*** GOBA PIG!" (wtf...lol..it goes on from there..but that is the most important part to get her to bed)..and it is utter trash! LOL!!! What is a Goba pig? She is-- it was a made up thing that just fit her, and she loves it.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
But the bedtime song is a life-saver because it is like a trigger if you do it long enough! So, after many many years of this, I am pro-bedtime song, but also, remember that it is important to them (like a goodnight kiss or reading a book)....however stupid haha!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have switched to tunes more publicly acceptable or at least common enough that when one is walking in a store or like place and slide into that tune, it is less noticeable by those near by! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts