Remembering Comet

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Cary NC (hate it), LF Job in Moab UT or elsewhere
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
As many of you know, I'd been researching a male Eclectus for several years. I knew this was going to be my 'end-game' bird. I had plans of getting him flight trained and eventually moving out to a secluded part of Moab UT., where I could raise him and just... let him be a bird.

I had such a difficult time with breeders during my search, some that were unethical, and others that just didn't seem "right". One baby bird while at the breeders died due to gorging himself on bedding before I even met him. I blamed myself for that because I had wondered if they were trying to ween him too quickly to get him out the door. I reevaluated my desire for a bird, as a person of faith I was worried about it, because I didn't want to mess up or make a mistake... I take my responsibility for this creature very seriously.

I can't begin to tell everyone the amount of bad luck I've had over the last few years, from being hit by drunk drivers (yes plural), to having my dream car destroyed, and then finally this spark of life came to me. "COMET".

I've been around a lot of birds in my life, and I say this out of sincerity and I swear this is not a biased opinion. However, Comet was/is the sweetest bird I've ever met. I never even got nipped by him, he'd just brush my hand away if he didn't want something. However, always eager to interact with his human caretaker...he just wanted to sit on me and listen to me talk.

Unfortunately, Comet went into the hospital last Wednesday after losing almost 45grams of weight, and his poops became runny. They've tested him and believe either he has Bornavirus or a congenital liver issue. The hospital put him on meds and recovery food, and he seemed slighting better. Unfortunately after a few days of eating "ok" he's back to not eating again, even with hand feeding. This was on top of just being laid off a few weeks ago.

I was certain that Comet and I were meant to be life companions for the next 20-30 years. Unfortunately this has been such a punch to the gut, I can't even put it into words. So he's at home in the office with me right now, just staring out the window, and ever now and them comes and sits on my arm and mumbles to me. He's lost complete interest in food and is down to 296grams which is below the baby weight I got him at.

I'd take him back to the vet, but I believe we'd end up right back here in another few days...so I believe it's best to have him at home and spend as much time as possible with him. I'm really writing this for me at the moment, because it's tough to observe him look out the window at the birds and trees, having not experienced it yet...he's never even flown before because the breeder clipped his wings (grrrr).

Anyways, I'm probably taking this worse than many of you would...I realize I'm a little bit of a drama queen but... this bird meant a lot to me. Even now as I get up to go grab a glass of water he mumbles and tries to walk towards me... needs to be around that human lol.

I'll just leave everyone with some coffee table wisdom. Sometimes we forget how special these critters are, how incredibly tolerant of our faults they are, how excited they are to see us when we get home after being away. Give your bird a kiss, a hug, and treat them like the royalty they are. They communicate with us on such a basic level to let us know they appreciate us. Think about it, these creatures know nothing of humanity, society or anything else yet they choose to be around us...

I'm in tears and just need to walk away, but Comet has gone back to sleep again (almost all day and night now) so I'm going to give him some quiet and just be next to him.

Love your pets folks...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm so very sorry to hear Comet is doing so poorly. I have searched for words, but I'm at a loss.

My greatest concern is that you may have gotten questionable medical advise and care. There are clear differences between the two illness they 'guess' he has.

IMHO, I would search-out an Avian Medical Professional, commonly referred to as a Certified Avian Vet (CAV). Many Vets try to treat Avian's but just do not have the training and sadly do not provide the correct tests and/or medication to treat you sweet baby.

It breaks my heart to say this, but your sweet baby is starving to death. I do not know what illness is driving this, but if you continue this path, your Comet will pass.

Please seek out a Certified Avian Vet and make this journey, please!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm rendered speechless. I'm so sorry to hear this. No, you're not taking this harder than most of us, so don't beat yourself up. You're among like minded company here. Many of us have been there. I haven't had to watch mine fail slowly, and can only imagine how awful it must be for you. The sense of loss though, we understand. I know the connection of a truly bonded feathered friend, and the feeling of it being stripped away.

To me, ekkies just have this deep way of knowing you. All of you. The way they watch and study you. ALL THE TIME. My boy Patches was only with me for eight months, but he taught me what it's all about. Unconditional love. Period. Doing his little hippity hop walk around the house looking for me, saying, "where's Jon" when we never taught him that. I fully expected to share the rest of my life with the little green ragamuffin. There's a hole, and I freely admit, I still cry over him. He'll never be replaced, but for me, he left room for another. (and another) But that's me. Everyone deals differently.

Beautiful advise on your part. Love them as much as you can, as long as you can. I wish you and dear little Comet my very best, my friend.

mboundy

Dec 27, 2018
I am so very sorry. I will pray for you and your baby. I cannot imagine the scenario you are living.

I lost my first parrot in a tragic accident. That was really difficult. I picture a slow moving sickness to be even worse. I still shed a tear for my lost Lego on occasion.

I truly hope for a recovery. Stay strong!

Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news, cneuhauser, and believe me I would be taking this every bit as hard as you, or worse! Like my Saxy friend says, you are among a community of like-minded parronts here and we understand and share your pain in this. Regardless the length of time Comet has been with you, he already had your heart from Day One. He is loved and treasured and I pray that he does not pass but if he does, he is fortunate to do so being adored by you and there is no greater gift. Sending hugs and strength to you both!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I literally feel your agony, realizing Comet's good instincts bonding with an exceptionally caring and appreciative human.

You appear to live near Raleigh, if so Dr. Johnson is a certified avian vet with exceptional (ABVP) qualifications. Practice: The Triangle's Only 100% Exotic Animal Hospital
I have no vested interest nor experience with this clinic but recognize credentials from Google search. https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803 Very much worth second opinion for Comet.

Superb advice to love our fids, take nothing for granted. I dearly hope Comet recovers.

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
I picked up Basil and Paprika after reading this, and gave them a little squeeze. Our flocks thoughts and prayers are with you.

OP
C

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
UPDATE:

After multiple tests for everything from Chlamidya (sp?) to Beak and Feather Disease we found the problem... and unfortunately it's pretty dire.

Comet has been diagnosed with Bornavirus otherwise known as "Macaw Wasting Disease", namesake is from the German town. Unfortunately from what I've reasearched the disease attacks the neurons particularly those within the digestive track. So the Comet cannot digest foods and consume the nutrients necessary to sustain himself; thus the "Wasting Disease" nickname it's been given... basically starving from the inside out.

I apologize for the lack of updates lately, I've just been overly emotionally charged... everything from complete sorrow and depression to furious and angry with the person who sold me this bird. The disease is very contagious, but we still know little of the means by which it's transferred. However, Comet came in a clutch of multiple hatchlings so I'm almost certain that I'm not the only one dealing with this... and Todd Marcus birds has been silent regarding this inquiry.

Todd Marcus Birds has also tried to shoot holes in my care for Comet, in order to void the warranty on him; makes me sick to my stomach. I've already spent $2,000 on testing, meds, and stays at the vet hospital; thankfully North Carolina State has one of the best Vet schools in the nation (Forbes / USNews).

The problem with the virus is that there's no cure, and the virus can disappear and come back at any given time showing symptoms in the birds; sounds very similar to some STDs in humans. This virus cannot be transferred to humans; but there is a version in the mammal portion of the animal kingdom.

I love Comet to death, he's such a gentle Ekkie, to the point of being almost submissive and I have to constantly assure him that he's "allowed" to chew on things, allowed to climb on me if he wants, and allowed to speak up etc. This is the other interesting factor with this disease (and I have to get an answer for)... it seems to have affected his vocal chords somehow... he no longer screams; this may be a blessing for some people, but I "want" him to proclaim his presence, when he's happy or angry etc. it's a part of parrot nature.

Finally, he's hanging by a thread, at his heaviest Comet being a baby was at 350g, he had withered away to a **SHOCKING** 260g, and had one foot in the grave. Wattery poops, just sitting and napping all day etc. However, he's been on Azithromiacin (sp?), Milk Thistle (to prevent the liver from being damaged by bile acids), Dioxicin (sp?), and two other medications, as well as Harrison's Avian Recovery Formula.

Comet now has his "good" and "bad" days, I can just tell by his body language within and outside the cage... his balance is also still off. The good news is that I watched him eat for 3hrs (no exaggeration) straight yesterday, he's now back up to 310g, which is still about 50-60 grams under where he should be at this point.

My sadness, frustration, and anger all comes from one place... which is unfortunately that this breeder understands how much I care for Comet, and that I'll do anything and everything to keep him alive... yet we live in a society where that strength of character is preyed upon. This also puts me in a virtual purgatory, whereby Comet will likely never reach his true potential, and will need special care, and will also prevent me from having additional birds which I'd planned on as my retirement "end game". The virus is just too contagious and it's not fair to any other birds.

The only saving grace in all of this is... I think God put Comet in my hands for a reason, as I believe he knows that I would spend thousands, if not tens of thousands to keep this creature as healthy as possible. I think Comet ended up in my care, because God knows... I'll give him a better life (no matter how short) than anyone else could have.

I still get choked up regularly, it's so incredibly difficult to watching him stare outside at the wild birds flying around in the trees... I'd planned on free flying him in a batting portable batting cage setup, and had already been spending time reading with him outside on my back patio.

Anyways... again I apologize for the lack of updates, writing this is like facing the facts again, and in detail, which hasn't been easy for me. If anyone has any advice or knowledge please feel free to chime in. I've been fattening Comet up with some birdie junk food, at this point in time Calories are more important than many vitamins. So along with his chop, and Tops pellets, he's also been consuming garbage brand mixes (no dyes) with dried fruit, as well as nutri-berries (which I absolutely hate). His taste for sweet potato has also waned... but I'm trying to find other VitB items that he'll consume.

Lastly, I've had to towel him every now and then to give him his meds...its necessary but bothers me to my core; its somewhat damage some of his feathers etc.

On a brighter note, I was being a goof and singing "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis the other day; I am a Vegas guy after all. He tried to sing along with me, it was absolutely horrible and nails on a chalkboard, but man did it make me feel good...if he'd only been a healthy bird, I know... well, that he'd have been something special.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
1) I’m so sorry about this diagnosis.

2) I’m so thankful that Comet has you to love him and care for him so well.

3) He is something special-but you know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
FYI thank you for the advice on the CAV... my Dr. is; their main practice is parrots and other exotic avian creatures. I think she understands that the only way to get him to hang on for a couple days was to try a broad spectrum antibiotic and deal with the bile acids directly until test results came in. She had a hunch about Bornavirus...she did her Doctoral Thesis on it with Dr. Harrision (the food).

Trust me, her and I had some very "direct" conversations because I was concerned about the broad spectrum antibiotic as well... told her "you're just guessing instead of properly diagnosing" we've since mended the fence but I told her I don't give a damn if she dislikes me, because it's not about me... it's about Comet.

Anyways, at this point I have him on the proper meds for Bornavirus; which can only address the physical symptoms. He's hangin' in there, and I watched him just go through another 1hr session of eating everything but the kitchen sink. I'm cautiously optimistic, not getting my hopes up, but I think he's past this battle with the virus... hopefully.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm praying for a miracle for you.
I font know much about this virus. But I know sometimes the body can overcome difficulties.

You are doing an amazing job. Big hugs to you.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'm so sorry you are going through this. ABV is more common than people think and it absolutely sucks (for lack of a better word)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I know it's beyond painful. Frightening diagnosis, but at least you have some idea of what you're up against, and your vet can help with the best course of action. And yeah, if that is what's really going on, treating the symptoms as they come is unfortunately all we have.

Here's the thing though. There are many strains of ABV, but only a very few of them lead to PDD and fatality. Some estimate in the neighborhood of 50-60% or more of all domestic parrots in the US would test positive for it. I've had to learn a little bit myself, since my guy Tucker is ABV positive. Fortunately, Baxter is not. I live with the thought of them getting sick every day, so I take the advice to heart. Love them as much as you can for as long as you can, so they know they're loved, and they know how happy they make you.

On my vet's advice, my flock is closed because of how contagious ABV is, and just because Tucker is asymptomatic, doesn't mean another bird he could pass it to wouldn't get sick. There is the very real possibility that he got it from his parents, as it can be transmitted that way.

I have to wonder if Comet may have been suffering from something else, maybe viral, or whatever, and ABV may not actually be the cause of what's going on. Typical of PDD you would start to notice more and more undigested food in the stool. They waste because they can't digest food enough to get the nutrients from it, and essentially starve to death over time.

I think it's encouraging that Comet has put back on that much weight. Obviously a ways to go, but you're doing it right. You're an amazing parront!

The way you describe Comet reminds me so much of my Tucker boy. He's just the sweetest, gentlest soul. He's gotten much pushier over the last year, but in a good way. I think a combination of lots of gained self confidence, and a little age/maturity. He wasn't quite 4 when I got him, and his previous owners kept him clipped, so he flew as well as a bowling ball. Now believe me, he lets us know what he wants, and when he wants it. :)

Keep doing what you're doing, and little Comet surely knows he's in the best hands possible. Knowing how much he's truly loved is the best gift possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
C

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
Saxguy65:

I think you hit the mark on a lot of topics, first and foremost about the health issues/symptoms and maybe there was another factor. Thus I'm continuing tests, however we haven't found any issues with bacterial infections, other than the bile acid markers; which can be a complication of ABV. We went to some of the more "common" differentials, and all tests came back negative. Right now the only test that came back positive was ABV...

However, what I will say is that if you remember Comet had a yeast infection right after I first brought him home; this isn't unusual for baby birds. However, upon testing they did find some "interesting" elevated bacteria. This got me thinking about his "chop" that he eats, and I was wondering if some of the veggies in the chop could be causing an allergic reaction. So I've been doing research on parrot foods/veggies to see if I can find out which cause more allergies. So I've changed his chop up with a more bland pallet of foods. The other thing that I did was switch to filtered water, instead of tap water.

Furthermore, I've gone to some junk food (not sure if I mentioned it) just to fatten him up and get calories in him. He's also back on his hand feeding of Sweet Potatoj which makes me feel better for his Ekkie needs. Also giving him very small portions of egg whites for protein.

Beyond the above, I was recently laid off so unemployment allows me to spend a lot of time observing which is probably what he needs.

**Thanks for telling me about Tucker...sorry to hear it, but it lifts some weight off my shoulders knowing that there are other parrots can live healthy and productive lives with the virus. I'm hoping this is the case for Comet...

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Unfortunately I have nothing to offer but my shoulder to cry in. This is just so heartbreaking to read. I’m glad you at least have an answer, and still have plenty of cuddles ahead of you.

Sending major hugs and warm healing vibes your way!

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
If you or comet need anything, please let me know. Paprika and Basil being hugged and sending healing vibes your way.

OP
C

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
Evening everyone...

It's with heavy heart that I'm writing this final follow up on Comet. Though Comet's stool started to clear up and bile acids came back in line, unfortunately other body chemistry just didn't recover. There were glimmers of hope along the way, and I have to tell you that... it was the most amazing thing in the world to see Comet hop-fly to me (his wings had been cut by the breeder as a baby). Some of the pain meds made him feel good enough that he started to use his wings last week and on Saturday.

Unfortunately the subsequent low points late Saturday and Sunday were really bad. He was whining and crying, and constantly looked intoxicated wobbling all over, to the point where I put him on my night stand with a towel to nest in because he couldn't fall asleep on a perch. He would gaze at his feet and whimper... wondering why they wouldn't work/clamp as they were supposed to. He even sprawled out on my hand one evening as I left it on the night stand when I went to bed. There were also several times over the course of the last few days that I believe he lost his eyesight or became incoherent and just fluttered to a corner. Then he'd come to life briefly and recognize my voice.

At 3:40PM Eastern Comet finally fell asleep in his dad's arms. just a baby. Even though he hadn't slept much over the past couple weeks, I was amazed at how determined he was to stay awake when they administered the sleep injection, and pain killer. It killed me a little bit on the inside to see how much he wanted to be here...

I wanted to say thank you to all of you who offered prayers, and those that gave advice during my brief time on these forums. Unfortunately I'm not sure if/when I'll be back. I've always had parrots in my life but... this one cut a little deeper.

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
Omg. I’m sorry to hear all this. I’m sorry to hear of your loss. If you need anything, I am sure me and the rest of the forum will be here for you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts