Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
For our younger members, Jim Cullen (parront to Amy a BFA and a Cocky named Beebs), a long time member, passed away suddenly not long ago. The Board donated to have a nest box built in the Bolivian rain forest in his name. He was a good friend to me and we had many play dates for our parrots, and I commissioned one too. Here is what they sent me recently.

RIP buddy, we all miss you! Here, I am writing to Jim's brother, David.

I thought you would like to see the Blue Throat Macaw nest box I had commissioned in Jim's memory. Its marked as JC 2, because the ParrotForums members commissioned one too. The Blue Throats are doing well and making a slow comeback.

AL

JC2 Albert Mueller in memory of Jim Cullen Nest 2023.jpeg

THANK YOU for your generous support of Bird Endowment and our partner Armonía as a 2022 – 2023 Nido AdoptivoTM Nest Box Sponsor on the Laney Rickman Reserve in Bolivia, helping save the critically endangered Blue-throated Macaw from extinction. Attached is a PHOTO of your nest box placed on the Reserve for the current breeding season. Your name and tribute in memory of Jim Cullins is listed on Bird Endowment’s website under “Supporters”: https://www.birdendowment.org/nido-adoptivo-supporters

Exciting news to share from Armonía: “The Blue-throated Macaw breeding season has begun, and Park Rangers Cesar and Cesar Jr. have started monitoring the nest boxes. So far, there are 4 active nests with eggs, and we are hoping all keep developing well!” I’m sure you are as excited as we are to find out results when the breeding season ends sometime in late June or July. The final report will be sent to you then, as soon as we receive it from Armonía.

Your support is truly making a difference! An incredible total of 113 Blue-throated Macaw chicks have now fledged from our nest boxes as of July 2022. With estimates of only 400 - 450 of these critically endangered birds in the wild, this number of fledges is truly significant - about
25% of the wild population – and increasing!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I still tear up every time I read a message of Jim's, what a truly wonderful man he was.
It makes me happy that we have @JimsBrother with us, it feels right and I know Jim would approve:)

We also got a picture of the nest box that the Mods sponsored in Jim's name:

JC1 In memory of Jim Cullen by _His ParrotForums Family_ Nest 2023.jpeg

How Jim would smile at this!

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
I still tear up every time I read a message of Jim's, what a truly wonderful man he was.
It makes me happy that we have @JimsBrother with us, it feels right and I know Jim would approve:)

We also got a picture of the nest box that the Mods sponsored in Jim's name:

View attachment 46973

How Jim would smile at this!
I am currently at NPRPF 2024 in Houston. Blue throats fledged from nest box JC1, which was included in Bennett Hennessy’s presentation! Just wanted to share this exciting news for those who were unaware.

Attachments

• IMG_7696.jpeg
    IMG_7696.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 26

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
I am currently at NPRPF 2024 in Houston. Blue throats fledged from nest box JC1, which was included in Bennett Hennessy’s presentation! Just wanted to share this exciting news for those who were unaware.

Attachments

• IMG_7740.jpeg
    IMG_7740.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 23

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

Shelly, thank you so much for posting this! I have tears streaming down my face thinking of Jim looking down and smiling at the miracle of that sweet baby and it's beautiful parents. I so appreciate you!

I hope you don't mind if I enlarge the pics a little:)

img_7696-jpeg.57418

img_7740-jpeg.57419

Most Reactions

Latest posts