Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I know parents with Autistic children, as I was a primary teacher, and in those cases, drugs were not an issue. The vaccination theory is certainly supported by the cases where children were fine until they were vaccinated, and had problems after. I don't have a firm opinion, but I do know that Autism is difficult to live with. If I had a small child now, I'd have to do some major thinking...

OP
Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
But as an RN this has never made any since to me. If the immunizations are the costive factor then why did Autism not become so prevalent until now? I received the MMR as did just about anyone 45 yrs ago and it was not a prevalent problem until the past decade or so. So if the immunizations are the cause why don’t as many people in my age group have Autism?

My theory regarding the drug seen that was so prevalent during the 60's, 70's and the 80's fits the time frame of our grandchildren.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Autism is only an epidemic the way Diabetes is an epidemic...it is over-diagnosed to keep the medical industry in the black.

When I was a kid, if you didn't pay attention, you were just "spirited". Now it's ADD, ADHD, Autism...it has to be something, so they can sell you a pill. They had my brother convinced his son was autistic. Now that he's getting older, it is getting more and more evident, he's just quiet and reserved...

I'm sure you have heard the phrase "Diabetes epidemic". Well, duh...they changed the requirements to be diagnosed as a diabetic from 160 mg/d to 126. That's like making crossing the street illegal; there would soon be a "crime epidemic." It's also interesting how they have made 100-125 mg/dL "pre-diabetic". I'm sure there are millions of people out there whose blood sugar has been 104 mg/dL their whole life, who all were healthy, and all of a sudden one day, simultaneously came down with a disease. Now their insurance company can raise their rates or even deny them coverage.

Wow...you really got me started. LOL

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Many high functioning Autistic children do well...The severe cases are quite evident, easy to spot, and cannot be compared to ADD, or ADHD. I do agree that ADD and ADHD are overdiagnosed. That doesn't mean that there are no legitimate cases.
I think our immune systems are working overtime these days, as opposed to "the good old days" because of the bombardment of chemicals, toxins, and such. I've often wondered if maybe there's a difference in today's child. Maybe the immunizations cause damage to an overworked immune system? That's just one of my theories, and is not meant to be taken as truth...

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
As the parent of an autistic child I wish this vaccine theory would finally die! The doctor who authored the study has lost his license and been condemned internationally for unethical research. And his conclusions haven't been confirmed by any other study - and there have been several that have tried to verify his findings. The only reason people blame vaccines is because they are scheduled at the same time parents start to notice late developmental milestones. I know families who don't vaccinate but have autistic children. Why do siblings of autistics have 50% higher chance of having an autistic child? I've been convinced for years that it's got a genetic link. On a bad day, my older son would be classified as autistic...that would put 2 in our family.

Nofear is right...it's the "trendy" diagnosis now like ADHD was 10 years ago. Also, we know what we're looking for now. Parents blame vaccines because it's easier to do that than to blame their genes - even tough they can't control their own genes.

This myth has cost the lives of unvaccinated children who have died because their parents believed this quack. Personally, I feel he should have been charged with murder.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
It's very ironic that while I agree that guy is a total quack, I am 100% against the mandatory vaccination laws. Go figure, right? ;)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
It's very ironic that while I agree that guy is a total quack, I am 100% against the mandatory vaccination laws. Go figure, right? ;)

Me, too. I think it's unwise not to get vaccinated - this is how small pox was wiped out and polio is basically gone - but I don't think one should be forced to do it.

OP
Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
As an Registered Nurse I have taken care of babies with whooping cough that is the R part of the MMR it is a horrible illness for a child/baby to have and they can die if not treated quickly. I have all my children immunized. Do you guys know how horrid polio was? Now thanks to the immunizations it has been eradicated.

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
THis has just made me furious, even before he was found to be fraudulent. This study seems to have stuck with people despite flaws, not being able to be repeated and being only of a few children (13). There have been studies looking at hundreds of thousands of children over decades that have shown absolutely NO link between vaccine and autism and yet this jerk's work prevails. People seem to forget the horrible diseases that are being controlled (or have been wiped out) by vaccine. Now we are seeing babies die of whooping cough when there is no need (as stated above). Just awful. Plus research dollars have been directed towards either proving no relationship between autism and vaccine or looking to find a relationship between autism and vaccine when they could have gone to MUCH better studies such as those looking at antibiotics or pain management in children etc. Correlation (as in parents starting to discover autism signs around vaccine time) is not causation. As mentioned above, vaccines arrive at a time when developmental markers are notices. I am in 100% agreement that people should be able to choose to vaccinate or not but they should be able to do that with all the best information at hand and people have been making this decision based on lies and made up evidence which is deplorable.

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
I have never read about this theory, but my little brother has autism and doctor's say it's because his mother (he's my half brother) took some sort of wrong medication during her pregnancy. Of course, knowing the kind of person she is now I really wouldn't doubt she did some sort of drugs/smoked while she was pregnant. BOTH of her children ended up with autism. My little sister is not nearly as bad as my brother (he doesn't talk at all and he's 11 years old, along with other traits that come with autism), but she's still not completely where she should be. It's really sad. :( Autism is so terrible.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
I have never read about this theory, but my little brother has autism and doctor's say it's because his mother (he's my half brother) took some sort of wrong medication during her pregnancy. Of course, knowing the kind of person she is now I really wouldn't doubt she did some sort of drugs/smoked while she was pregnant. BOTH of her children ended up with autism. My little sister is not nearly as bad as my brother (he doesn't talk at all and he's 11 years old, along with other traits that come with autism), but she's still not completely where she should be. It's really sad. :( Autism is so terrible.

You brother's doctor is probably wrong. If drugs during pregnancy caused your brother's autism, what caused my son's? This sort of thing is dangerous, too. No studies have showed a link between drug-use during pregnancy and austim. Studies are leaning to a genetic link or possibly other environmental factors.

The fact that it's a "trendy" diagnosis now, more money and research is going to it.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Do you guys know how horrid polio was? Now thanks to the immunizations it has been eradicated.

Yes, my mother has told me how afraid everyone was back then of catching it, and how many people she knew who became crippled by it. Terrible stuff.

I am a believer in vaccination, but I simply resent the intellectually dishonest reasoning used to enforce mandatory vaccinations. Activists use fear to push through their agenda, claiming that one unvaccinated child can somehow infect the remainder of the vaccinated classroom. The parents of those vaccinated kids now proceed to browbeat and berate the parents who do not vaccinate their kids.

If the vaccine is so good, get it for yourself, and don't worry about other people. They can only hurt themselves. Many atrocities have been committed in the interest of saving peoples' children from the parents; i.e, the stolen generations (perhaps our Aussie members could educate me more on that subject sometime :cool:).

It's just another example of advancing an agenda by saying "it's for the children," thus creating some politically unassailable argument.

If you haven't gathered by now, I'm a pretty staunch Libertarian LOL.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Guys, here's something else to consider. I remember reading years ago that the yearly "booster shots" given to animals by vets is actually unecessary, and a way to increase income for vet clinics....Not only unecessary, but harmful to the animals immune system. Many dogs now have auto immune diseases. Our dog, at the time, had had all shots and boosters for five years. I stopped with the boosters. My sister, who had a dog with auto immune disease also stopped, at the advice of the vet.

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
You brother's doctor is probably wrong. If drugs during pregnancy caused your brother's autism, what caused my son's? This sort of thing is dangerous, too. No studies have showed a link between drug-use during pregnancy and austim. Studies are leaning to a genetic link or possibly other environmental factors.

The fact that it's a "trendy" diagnosis now, more money and research is going to it.

That does make sense. Although I do wonder, what are the odds of both of her children having it? Maybe she carries a genetic link for it? I know it's not my dad, all three of us siblings are fine. But both our half brother/sister (from the same mother) ended up autistic. I love them both to tiny little pieces! But it's still such a shame. :( I really worry for my brother, as like I said, my sister is not as bad and is actually in a regular school. Justin is in a special school. I don't know if it's strictly for autism or not.

OP
Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
Guys, here's something else to consider. I remember reading years ago that the yearly "booster shots" given to animals by vets is actually unecessary, and a way to increase income for vet clinics....Not only unecessary, but harmful to the animals immune system. Many dogs now have auto immune diseases. Our dog, at the time, had had all shots and boosters for five years. I stopped with the boosters. My sister, who had a dog with auto immune disease also stopped, at the advice of the vet.

You are so right Sharon, I had asked a vet years ago why people can have several years if not life time immunity and our pets do not. I was given a generic answer.

Heart warm meds are another money maker for the vets. You have to have your dog tested yearly to make sure they don't have them and keep them on the heart warm meds. But the meds are suppose to prevent them. The same vet said that nothing was 100%.

If they don't give 100% immunity why are we paying for them at all. I then made the choice to not give my dogs the heartgaurd.

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
Do you guys know how horrid polio was? Now thanks to the immunizations it has been eradicated.

Yes, my mother has told me how afraid everyone was back then of catching it, and how many people she knew who became crippled by it. Terrible stuff.

I am a believer in vaccination, but I simply resent the intellectually dishonest reasoning used to enforce mandatory vaccinations. Activists use fear to push through their agenda, claiming that one unvaccinated child can somehow infect the remainder of the vaccinated classroom. The parents of those vaccinated kids now proceed to browbeat and berate the parents who do not vaccinate their kids.

If the vaccine is so good, get it for yourself, and don't worry about other people. They can only hurt themselves. Many atrocities have been committed in the interest of saving peoples' children from the parents; i.e, the stolen generations (perhaps our Aussie members could educate me more on that subject sometime :cool:).

It's just another example of advancing an agenda by saying "it's for the children," thus creating some politically unassailable argument.

If you haven't gathered by now, I'm a pretty staunch Libertarian LOL.

Yes, people should be free to choose, however the argument for having lots of people vaccinated is herd immunity. Some people cannot get vaccinated for whatever reason (too young, allergic to some aspect of the vaccine, immune compromised etc) so if a large majority of people who can get vaccinated do not, it leaves the vulnerable at greater risk. This is why we are seeing more babies dying horribly of whooping cough these past few years. Not enough people have been vaccinated to prevent it from spreading (and thus infecting) the more vulnerable.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
When I worked for a vet many, many, many years ago, they only gave annual vaccinations because they were required by the state. The doctors I worked for recommended boosters every 3 years. And this is when we lived in an area that had as many as 20 confirmed rabies cases every year and hundreds of puppies dying from parvo.

I also know several vets who don't recommend heartworm preventative either. They recommend annual tests. Again, when I worked for a vet in a lower income area and many people didn't use heartworm preventative...in then 2+ years I worked there we had only 1 dog test positive. Anyway...

Most Reactions

Latest posts