Reputable Breeder Lists?

Doodle

Oct 8, 2017
I've had my eyes set on a Blue and Gold Macaw for a while. I've got the experience and research down, but I can't find a good, trustworthy list of breeders/stores/aviaries with babies. I really wanted to adopt, but the process is so extensive, which I do understand, but after a few times going out to adopt, there's always something that remains unsaid during emails. For an example, a bad case of skin mutilation on the wings. :(

Now, I've tried birdbreeders.com and hookbillsforsale.com, but both have a number of scams. I am a little interested in one listing, which I will try to ask you guys about!

I just need to know if there's any sites any of you use to find breeders/stores/aviaries? The stores near me are a little out of my budget, so I just wanna see my options. I'm near Northern NJ, but I can pay for shipping.. if the breeder has a nice reputation?

And another question, is that I see a listing for a Blue and Gold baby for sale by a breeder named Pretty Parrots and Friendly Ferrets. She has one ripoff report by a complaint of a bent beak, but other than that I don't see any other bad complaints. She seems pretty unknown, but have any of you heard of her? And are there any ways I can try to confirm her as reputable? She gave me the name of her vet named Dr. Rebecca LaMarche, in Oregon. :confused:

Thank you for reading my extremely long question if you have, I'm so sorry but I've been looking everywhere for some reputable breeders around my price range. My price range is $1,400 if that helps.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have no experience working with bleeders but....
I noticed she sells unweeded babies.

I have read over and over that no reputable breeder sells unweeded babies.

Laylatoo

Feb 27, 2017
Northern California
Parrots
Layla- F Galah 02/14
Jazzi- F Galah 3/24/17
Mali-F Meyers/Senegal 5/5/17
Pyper- F CAG 11-1-2017
Eggs-otic Parroting here in Northern California has some macaw babies available I believe. I live down the hill from them and I have had the pleasure of purchasing two baby cockatoos from them. Very reputable and knowledgeable and my babies came as friendly and socialized as can be. They really cherish their babies and will not sell them before they are more than ready to go home. They ship from Sacramento. Check put their bird breeders.com reviews or google to find their website. Good luck! I hope they can help:)

OP
D

Doodle

Oct 8, 2017
I think I'll stay away from the breeder I mentioned then, thank you so much for the advice texsize!!

I'll call or message that breeder/aviary that you mentioned Laylatoo! Thanks so much for a recommendation :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Best birds aviary birds in Florida. I also wanted a Blue and Gold too.I live in Ny so I have had some birds shipped.Thank god I didnt experience any scams.Getting Moose was a amazing experience. Whatever their doing they have it down. He came socialized and eating a huge variety of food.He is our family bird.I dont know if the hurricanes affected them though .Moose is 3 now .

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Eggs-otic Parroting here in Northern California has some macaw babies available I believe. I live down the hill from them and I have had the pleasure of purchasing two baby cockatoos from them. Very reputable and knowledgeable and my babies came as friendly and socialized as can be. They really cherish their babies and will not sell them before they are more than ready to go home. They ship from Sacramento. Check put their bird breeders.com reviews or google to find their website. Good luck! I hope they can help:)

I also got a baby from eggs-otic parroting.
He has been healthy and happy ever since. They ensure a full weaning process takes place, but keep you updated with information and pictures along the way. They are great guys. They are old school and stand their ground about clipping wings prior to shipping, however the babies are fledged first. I let Kalani's flight feathers grow and he is a coordinated flier with no issues.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
—Best birds aviary birds in Florida—
I spoke to these folks a few months ago, they live just up the road from me, other than some family issues, he was alive and well!
Our area did get hit hard by the storm! His area, even more so!

Cthebird

Sep 19, 2017
East coast of USA
Parrots
I now have a young Hahn's macaw. I used to have a Pacific Parrotlet that lived until almost 15. Before that I had a budgie.
I don't have a list of breeders, but I can say that the place I adopted my bird in NJ is very reputable. People apparently travel from Connecticut to go there. It has an A+ from the Better Business Bureau. It was very clean, the birds looked very good, and the staff was very nice. It's big and has a lot of birds. If you're interested, see Bird Store | Delran, NJ - Todd Marcus Birds Exotic Inc. it's in Delran, NJ not far from Philadephia.

We adopted a 5 month old Hahn's Macaw. He got a perfect bill of health from the avian vet we go to. He's wonderful! I don't think he was cheaper than other places. In fact, I read somewhere online that young Hahn's macaws were selling for $800, but mine was $1000. I was happy that we could pick him up, and not have him shipped. It was nice being able to see him first. There was another Hahn's macaw we considered, but the one we chose seemed a better fit for our family. They do have different personalities.

I'm glad we got a 5 month old Hahn's macaw and not a younger one. The avian vet said he's still a baby.

Kiwi1414

Mar 30, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you for the Best Birds aviary advice I plan to purchase a Macaw in the future. I just went through a whole ordeal on Facebook people in Massachusetts trying to scam me pretending they had a bird they needed to rehome. Got my hopes up and was hurt tremendously. Luckily I didn't give them any money. Very helpful forum to find. I watched a YouTube video on how to avoid scams with bird purchasing. There are a LOT. Be careful

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Hey!! I know exactly the anxiety you are talking about!! I almost got scammed in a big way twice! But I did a lot of research and finally came across a great breeder who does ship by the way.

Try Birdman’s Parrots out of Illinois. He’s been in business for close to 15 years and has a strong reputation. He’s got a store front where you can visit the birds up close and enjoy their personality.

Hope this helps!

Most Reactions

Latest posts