Rescued Red Crowned

Hedwig

May 28, 2021
Last night I went and rescued a red crowned from a less than ideal situation. He is 30 years old and Iā€™m told heā€™s never been out of his cage. His cage is way too small (I will get a more suitable one), he is very underweight and he is missing a lot of feathers on his chest. For at least the last few years (probably longer) he has only been fed grit and seeds. The room he was kept in had the curtains drawn because heā€™s ā€œallergic to the sunā€ (face palm). He obviously doesnā€™t want anybody touching him, which I understand and I will not be pressing that issue right away as there are much pressing issues.

I want to address his diet immediately as I feel that should help with the feathers and also get weight on him. I am going to give him pellets as that is what my conure is on, and will get him Iā€™m some supplements but what else. Iā€™m not sure what heā€™ll eat having only having seeds for so long. Should I offer fresh fruits and veggies as well. I feel like he could definitely use the nutrients. Any advice is appreciated.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons and Parrot Forum!

First Read With Understanding the first two high-lighted Threads at the top of Amazon Sub-Forum! The "I Love Amazons -.. "Thread has a detailed segment regarding a Diet for an Amazon! Do Not Provide Supplements!

It is very important to have your new arrival seem by an Avian Medical Professional as s/he could be ill and keeping s/he separated from you other Parrots is a must for at the very least four weeks or longer. Your Avian Medical Professional will be providing a New Parrot Examination, which should include a full spectrum blood scan and a gram stain. Consider a DNA Sex test, since their are drawing blood anyway.

Thank you for taking in a very special Amazon. Please all the Parrot to open-up at their rate. Abused Parrots will expect t be abused, so you will want to assure that only good things happen when Humans are around.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Last night I went and rescued a red crowned from a less than ideal situation. He is 30 years old and Iā€™m told heā€™s never been out of his cage. His cage is way too small (I will get a more suitable one), he is very underweight and he is missing a lot of feathers on his chest. For at least the last few years (probably longer) he has only been fed grit and seeds. The room he was kept in had the curtains drawn because heā€™s ā€œallergic to the sunā€ (face palm). He obviously doesnā€™t want anybody touching him, which I understand and I will not be pressing that issue right away as there are much pressing issues.

I want to address his diet immediately as I feel that should help with the feathers and also get weight on him. I am going to give him pellets as that is what my conure is on, and will get him Iā€™m some supplements but what else. Iā€™m not sure what heā€™ll eat having only having seeds for so long. Should I offer fresh fruits and veggies as well. I feel like he could definitely use the nutrients. Any advice is appreciated.

Glad you are helping this bird out. Always offer all parrots fresh fruits and veg and please do not cut him off what he is eating cold-turkey (birds have been known to starve). The transition to new foods must be gradual..Any new bird should be quarantined from all existing birds for a bare minimum of 45 days in a totally separate room as far from the others a possible (with extreme caution to human transfer of feather dander etc on hands, hair and clothing). An avian vet visit is important for establishing a baseline and a vitamin panel would also tell you a lot. Remember, there are many viruses out there that are extremely contagious and also can cause feather loss. 45 days is the minimum- 3 months is ideal

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Welcome and thanks for rescuing an Amazon in need.
My Red Crowned Amazon Luna is a rescue but she was not in such bad shape.
Parrots donā€™t need grit. I would discontinue giving it that .

Texsize.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thanks for rescuing this poor Amazon from a horrid situation. Wonderful advice above, will be interesting to see how he reacts to the wonders of good environment, food, and parronting about to unfold.

Most Reactions

Latest posts