Reusing toys and perches after a bird died?

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
I tried searching this forum to see if anybody had the same question but couldn't find anything.

Is it safe to sanitize toys and perches and reuse them after a bird dies unexpectedly?

My conure died several weeks ago from a cause that we couldn't determine even after a necropsy. The necropsy report showed no bacterial or viral infection. My vet gave me instructions to sanitize the cage and toss all open food.

I cleaned everything that was in the cage - toys, bowls, perches. However, now I am wondering if it's safe to keep perches and toys? Most of our toys were from Planet Pleasures, many abaca rope-style toys.

Does anybody have an insight? I am not planning to get a new bird for a while, my bird died prematurely and we weren't prepared for it but we plan to keep the cage and open to give another bird a loving home, just not looking for a bird right now.

Thank you!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can soak in dilute bleach , since you dont have to worry about fumes. Once it drys its safe.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would not re-use anything porous and I would honestly be semi uncomfortable reusing cage if I didn't know cause of death (as some viruses are not impacted much by bleach). Also, bleach is not safe on wood, as it does absorb into it.

Bleach can leave residue even when dry-- found that out the hard way this year in my classroom where many of my pants are now bleached-- sprayed seat, wiped it, came back next day, sat down on dry seat and when I left, I had a beach spot on my butt.

I absolutely would not re-use wooden anything. They will be chewing on wood and if it has been soaked in bleach, they will be ingesting bits of that as they chew. Plus, again, t's very hard to properly sanitize porous things...

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I mentioned that some diseases can be very contagious and reisstant to bleach-- here is one example:

"Psittacine beak and feather disease (PBFD) is a common viral disease of captive and wild psittacine species throughout the world. PBFD is caused by a circovirus which attacks cells of the immune system and those cells that produce the feathers and the beak. The disease is thought to be specific for psittacines, and all species including budgerigars and cockatiels should be considered susceptible. "
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Psittacine-beak-and-feather-disease-Cooper-Gschmeissner/52251f08f3db4bcfaea2e3930785ac6dc0c3bf3b?p2df

The following came from the "Infectious Disease Manual Infectious Diseases of Concern to Captive and Free Ranging Wildlife in North America"

"Suggested disinfectant for housing facilities: While specific data on the susceptibility of PCV to disinfectants is unknown, it is known that other circovirus are among the most environmentally stable and disinfectant resistant of all viruses. The goal in a contaminated facility is to wash the virus out of the environment, expose
contaminated surfaces to prolong drying and direct sunlight and then seal any remaining virus to a substrate with paint (or equivalent). Any contaminated surface that is porous (not made of metal or plastic) should be discarded. All metal, concrete and plastic surfaces should be washed with a sodium hypochlorite (e.g. Clorox)-containing detergent, rinsed and allowed to dry in direct sunlight. The procedure should be repeated 3-4 times. Air handling systems should be professionally cleaned by a company experienced with decontaminating hospital air systems. Once repeated cleaning has been accomplished, a pressure painter should be used to coat
all remaining surfaces (floor, walls and ceiling). If a diseased bird has been maintained in an incubator, one should make certain that the fan and motor housing are decontaminated and PCR negative for viral DNA before the fan is returned to service. PCR-based testing can be used to evaluate the success for virus removal from the
environment.

https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.aazv.org/resource/resmgr/idm/idm_updated_march_2020.pdf
This is a really helpful link for all kinds of diseases. I forgot about it until now. It's where I got the info above

Birds can carry this disease with no symptoms (while still spreading it). It is not uncommon among parrots in the US and Australia.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I pressure washed and then steam cleaned the cage.
Wooden perches I used the steam cleaner on and left them in sunlight.
Rope perch and toys I threw away.

All that said the two birds that passed did not die from contagious disease.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If you use bleach on your cage, let it sit in direct sunlight afterwards -- An old member (EllenD) used to always say this and I see it again in this veterinary manual above. I think the sun breaks down some sort of residuals from the bleach from what I understand...but I don't know the details lol

OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
Thank you, Laura and Noodles. I've been wondering about using diluted bleach. We don't have any pets in the house, so I could use it ... I had the same thoughts, Noodles about porous things ... if I use bleach, I was going to make sure to wash it out really well, not just wipe off with a bleached solution. I might have to throw the toys and perches away though.
I was thinking about the possibility of virus, bacteria and fungus in the cage... even though the necropsy didn't show virus and my vet thinks that the virus would've definitely left a cell damage - however, I am still not convinced.
I've read though that a virus won't survive and be gone after approximately 3 months ... If it was fungus, it could stay I guess and I need to make sure to clean the cage very well. I don't mind getting another cage but it's such a large bulky item - seems wasteful to just toss. I was planning scrubbing it again very well, every corner of it and leaving it out in the sun.

OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
Thank you, Texsize. Now after reading the responses, I realize that the rope toys will have to go.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Thank you, Laura and Noodles. I've been wondering about using diluted bleach. We don't have any pets in the house, so I could use it ... I had the same thoughts, Noodles about porous things ... if I use bleach, I was going to make sure to wash it out really well, not just wipe off with a bleached solution. I might have to throw the toys and perches away though.
I was thinking about the possibility of virus, bacteria and fungus in the cage... even though the necropsy didn't show virus and my vet thinks that the virus would've definitely left a cell damage - however, I am still not convinced.
I've read though that a virus won't survive and be gone after approximately 3 months ... If it was fungus, it could stay I guess and I need to make sure to clean the cage very well. I don't mind getting another cage but it's such a large bulky item - seems wasteful to just toss. I was planning scrubbing it again very well, every corner of it and leaving it out in the sun.

PBFD/circovirus can last over a year-- it's very stable environmentally. A bird can have this and die from something else if their are just a carrier. I'm not saying your bird died from or carried PBFD, but that's why I am very wary .

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
bleach evaporate and us safe when dry and no bleach smell.
I used to bleach stuff and rinse and dry and no smell out it back in my saltwater aquarium with sea horses and live coral . If you know how delicate those creatures on, then you know its safe..

I did throw out porous stuff with my chlamydia out break. I washed the perches in the washing machine and air dry. Next time might try dishwasher instead..

Used dawn soap to scrub, then rinsed, tgen used dilute white vinegar in cold water wipe ed every single bar, then rinsed then dried.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Within the VASTEST of Parrotforums there are tidbits of information hidden in different sub-forums that collectively addresses your question.

Viruses represent the most likely sources of finding lingering traces over the active efforts to eliminate all traces of them. In addition, as commented on above, some of the known methods of killing those most resilient viruses can remain in trace amounts.

That all said, there is a regiment that is activity used to statically eliminate those known viruses from surgery suites and the instruments use within. However, even those methods cannot assure total cleaning of some surfaces as a result of their porosity!

IMHO, the group most dangerous to resilient viruses lingering are cloth based produces, which are woven and/or have thickness to them as moisture can reside at /within the fibers at depth. It is that moisture that provides a host for the virus to linger. It is one of the reasons that medical centers have stopped the use of cloth gowns in surgical and infectious disease areas.

IMHO, Cages, if cleaning property can be reused. Steam clearing as the starting point. Followed by dilute bleach and with concentration in corners and welded areas where 'stuff' commonly collects using different sizes of stiff brushes for getting into small, tight spaces. Very Hot Water (160 to 210 degrees F) and Original Dawn Dish Soap followed by Cold Fresh Water heavy raising. And, finish with Steam Cleaning again another Cold Fresh Water heavy raise. Sun Dry on a Warm to Hot day in Bright Sunshine, turning regularly during the day.

Non-crewed Wood Preaches use the same as above.
Other smaller items that are Stainless Steel, Glass, etc... can be cleaned in the dishwasher using the pots and pans cycle and Hot water setting and Hot Heat Drying.

There is no question in my mind that there will be disagreement in the process, but the major point to keep in mind is the safety of your new family member.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
There is genetics and age at play to. Burds under a year are just more likely to die from some of the viruses and bacteria stuff. Its because the immunity shared from parents wanes, and their own immune system isn't fully developed yet.

A lot of birds can overcome a lot of stuff. Thats why every bird at a rescue isn't sick and dead. Because they may do their best but they are not doing full disinfect everyday..at least non I've seen . Tho the goal should be surgical clean in an ideal world...

When I get a used cage I do what Sailboat says, then I repeat it ! Probably at least 3 times...

Last edited:
OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP

PBFD/circovirus can last over a year-- it's very stable environmentally. A bird can have this and die from something else if their are just a carrier. I'm not saying your bird died from or carried PBFD, but that's why I am very wary .

Thank you, I had no idea that PBFD can last over a year, understanding that I have no idea what my bird died from, but I have to assume every possible cause at this point.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I understand the desire to re-use, not from the stance of economy but a sort of "paying it forward" from one beloved companion to the next.

Given the unknown, I'd thoroughly sanitize the cage as suggested and keep one or more cherished toys as keepsake in a "memory box" or similar then toss the remaining porous items.

OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
Within the VASTEST of Parrotforums there are tidbits of information hidden in different sub-forums that collectively addresses your question.

Viruses represent the most likely sources of finding lingering traces over the active efforts to eliminate all traces of them. In addition, as commented on above, some of the know methods of killing those most resilient viruses can remain in trace amounts.

That all said, there is a regiment that is activity used to statically eliminate those known viruses from surgery suites and the instruments use within. However, even those methods cannot assure total cleaning some surfaces as a result of their porosity!

IMHO, the group most dangerous to resilient viruses lingering are cloth based produces, which are woven and/or have thickness to them as moisture can reside at within the filters at depth. It is that moisture that provides a host for the virus to linger. It is one of the reasons that medical centers have stopped the use of cloth gowns in surgical and infectious disease areas.

IMHO, Cages, if cleaning property can be reused. Steam clearing as the starting point. Followed by dilute bleach and with concentration in corners and welded areas where 'stuff' commonly collects using different sizes of stiff brushes for getting into small, tight spaces. Very Hot Water (160 to 210 degrees F) and Original Dawn Dish Soap followed by Cold Fresh Water heavy raising. And, finish with Steam Cleaning again another Cold Fresh Water heavy raise. Sun Dry on a Warm to Hot day in Bright Sunshine, turning regularly during the day.

Non-crewed Wood Preaches use the same as above.
Other smaller items that are Stainless Steel, Glass, etc... can be cleaned in the dishwasher using the pots and pans cycle and Hot water setting and Hot Heat Drying.

There is no question in my mind that this there will be disagreement in the process, but the major point to keep in mind is the safety of your new family member.

Thank you, SailBoat! I appreciate you taking time to write this post. Lots of helpful info. All the perches that we have are nice wood but with screws, now I understand that those are not safe to keep.

OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
I understand the desire to re-use, not from the stance of economy but a sort of "paying it forward" from one beloved companion to the next.

Given the unknown, I'd thoroughly sanitize the cage as suggested and keep one or more cherished toys as keepsake in a "memory box" or similar then toss the remaining porous items.

Thank you, Scott! That's a great advice, you are exactly right - those are the cherished things that I was hesitant to throw away. My kids liked the idea of a memory box. It's been such a sad day going through everything, I've been postponing this moment.

OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
There is genetics and age at play to. Burds under a year are just more likely to die from some of the viruses and bacteria stuff. Its because the immunity shared from parents wanes, and their own immune system isn't fully developed yet.

A lot of birds can overcome a lot of stuff. Thats why every bird at a rescue isn't sick and dead. Because they may do their best but they are not doing full disinfect everyday..at least non I've seen . Tho the goal should be surgical clean in an ideal world...

When I get a used cage I do what Sailboat says, then I repeat it ! Probably at least 3 times...

Thank you! You are so knowledgable, I do suspect a low immune system was the factor. I had healthy birds when I was a child, I had no idea that birds can get so sick.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Hi Lisa,

I use F10 for all hard surfaces, cages and hardware. I do this monthly using the 1:125 ratio which is max strength killing everything. Vets use it also. I pressure wash the cages outside, scrub off all debris, spray it down with F10, leave for 30 minutes, pressure wash again, then let the cages dry in the sunlight for a couple of hours. Daily and in-between cleaning is done with KD or Aviclens solution wipe down.

I'd probably toss all other toys and equipment just to be safe. I know the idea of a memory box is great, however consider the evidence offered above on duration of contamination for some viruses. Perhaps it isn't good for children to be touching potentially contaminated items either (finger to mouth issues)???

Hope you are all coping well,
Kindest Regards,
Debbie

Last edited:
OP
L

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
Hi Lisa,

I use F10 for all hard surfaces, cages and hardware. I do this monthly using the 1:125 ratio which is max strength killing everything. Vets use it also. I pressure wash the cages outside, scrub off all debris, spray it down with F10, leave for 30 minutes, pressure wash again, then let the cages dry in the sunlight for a couple of hours. Daily and in-between cleaning is done with K10 or Aviclens solution wipe down.

I'd probably toss all other toys and equipment just to be safe. I know the idea of a memory box is great, however consider the evidence offered above on duration of contamination for some viruses. Perhaps it isn't good for children to be touching potentially contaminated items either (finger to mouth issues)???

Hope you are all coping well,
Kindest Regards,
Debbie

Thank you, Debbie! Very useful advice, I didn't know about F10, K10 and Aviclens. Looked it up - all available for purchase online.

All equipment including perches and toys will definitely have to go after everything I read. Also, considering how long a virus can live - maybe we'll take pictures of all the things our bird loved instead of keeping a memory box. It's a long process, I wasn't able to throw many things away last weekend.

It's not an issue with my kids because they are older, so they know to wash their hands, luckily:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts