Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
DO parrots dream, ya think? I'm trying to figure out why, after years of training with some small animal figures ( 3 parrots, a bear, a lamb, a bell and a small ball) all of a sudden Salty treats them like they are radioactive. Or other changes in their personality. Could a bad dream about these props make him super cautious in approaching them? We've worked with these props for years now, and this is new behavior.

We've all read on here how one amazon suddenly did a hard 180 on his fav person, and its taken years for this fella to get the 'zon to come even close to re-accepting him. Why do they do this? I'd love to know.
Parrots will be parrots, I guess! Well, I don't think they dream, per-say, but Lord knows what goes around their little heads while they rest... (scientifically speaking, they don't sleep like mammals, but rather just rest, even if they do seem asleep). They really tend to make the weirdest connection - patterns, colours, texture, shape.... Even completely unrelated bad experience, and they connect to every day's items or routine.
I'm not familiar with Amazons, but for Senegals I did read that in their life they just turn 180 degrees with their mates, even if they were bonded mates for years, they just suddenly leave them for no reason and go for another mate. I guess this is one of the reasons why they are hard to breed in captivity!

I wish they could really talk and tell us what makes them change so drastically!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I truly believe that Amazons dream, for certain they daydream as it is common to come up to your Amazon eyes open and they are totally not aware that you are there. I have used the term "Am-a-zone" to define it. They are likely contemplating the math that defines Physics of "Sting Theory" or like. Regarding dream, the amount of eye movement when they are well into a sleep is telling. Just My Two Cents.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Stayed in NYC this week at my son's place in Astoria, and I saw the now famous Astoria flock of Quaker Parrots. Yes there is a feral population of them in NYC, Astoria, quite a number of them, I saw say a dozen or so, and my son says that the communal nests are populated by many dozens of them. SO cool, even tho they are an invasive species - LOL, I dont care if they push the pigeons out! Its amazing that a tropical parrot can survive the cold New York winters, but they have been established here in NY for many years! LOL they are just as loud and noisy as their domesticated brethren.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hanna, I think that once a parrot understands that we are tryin to teach something to them, it becomes easier and easier for them to learn. Salty gets most new tricks and actions in a few trys and often in 1 or 2. He comes to our training sessions ready to learn stuff. Lately we have been working on retention memory like showing him a treat hidden by a colored cup, mixing the cups with others and getting him to remember where the treat was in the begining.

Most Reactions

Latest posts