Right time to get a second bird ?

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
I'd like to get a second green cheek, I've been told if rei turned out male ( Which given his reactions to my mother and sister is very much likely male ) to keep it as a single bird house as could be super aggressive etc. Or if female get another female.

To under a year, which wouldn't be a issue as I do have 2 cages.

And told I'd almost totally loose my bond with him, but I know that's a hit or miss on the matter.

I do want a second bird, but I'm definitely making sure rei is happy and healthy first.

I figured potentially after 4-5 months from now to get another so rei and I have a solid training ( mostly for any bad habits ) and routine happening.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
If he needs a friend you can go ahead and get another bird as long as you are prepared for them not to get along, have done a lot of research, and actually want another GCC for yourself. Otherwise I'd wait about a year or so.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
If he needs a friend you can go ahead and get another bird as long as you are prepared for them not to get along, have done a lot of research, and actually want another GCC for yourself. Otherwise I'd wait about a year or so.
I'm prepared definitely, I have to fairly decent sized cages, even if they don't want to be housed together but get along outside of the cages. And I do want another myself for sure.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I'm prepared definitely, I have to fairly decent sized cages, even if they don't want to be housed together but get along outside of the cages. And I do want another myself for sure.
Then I'd say you're ready :) Just do a bit more research

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Then I'd say you're ready :) Just do a bit more research
Haha it's been literally years since I wanted birds but it's the pairs I haven't read much up on as it can be much like what people have said about my rabbits
My baby girl ( 4 years old) may not want to associate with me anymore after I got her a companion, if anything she has taught him habits 😭🤣 such as jumping on my face
So I definitely want to wait a few months so any bad habits Rei may have won't implement onto the new bird.

I know to quarantine them in Separate rooms, I have a spare cage in my bedroom that'd work for 2 months before moving into the main livingroom.

Most Reactions

Latest posts