Rigsby the fearful

Sandz

Jan 9, 2016
Woodside ryton
Parrots
One spearmint coloured ring neck called Rigsby. Only bought him in Nov so advice appreciated
Hi, I'm a newbie to forum and parrots so would appreciate advise. I bought Rigsby in November 2015 from a lady claiming it was her mothers and ill health forced sale. Since discovered that she advertises to rehome rescue parrots. The week I bought Rigsby she sold another ringneck and a macaw. She said he was 13 months old, hand tame and beginning to talk. Well, his leg ring indicates he was born in Belgium (I'm in uk) 2012 and he is not hand tame at all. I've taught him to step up onto a stick but he is terrified of hands. He has a nice cage and full use of large heated, insulated conservatory. He will feed from my pinched thumb and index finger but will not come over to me at all. I've tried sitting, not looking with treats but no. He doesn't talk but I think I've taught him to say peek a boo. I've wanted a parrot all my life and now retired I would love to be able to spend all day with him but it's not much fun when your being ignored ha ha. The strange thing is that I can hover the conservatory and it doesn't bother him. Any advise would be greatly accepted. Thanks

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and welcome to the forums! The person you bought your bird from sounds like a flipper. Rigsby is fortunate, I'm glad he found you.

Here is a link with some tips you may find helpful.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

All birds are different, according to their backgrounds and how they've been treated, it can take weeks or even months for a bird to build trust and bond with a human. Getting Rigsby to step up on a stick for you and take food from your fingers is excellent progress. Patience and persistence will pay off and the rewards are well worth the effort.

OP
S

Sandz

Jan 9, 2016
Woodside ryton
Parrots
One spearmint coloured ring neck called Rigsby. Only bought him in Nov so advice appreciated
Clicker ordered. Rigsby also doesn't seem to know how to play with his toys. His cage didn't have any when I got him:(:(☹️

Most Reactions

Latest posts