Ringneck diet

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Hi everyone! Thank you for taking out the time to respond to my post. I wanted to ask how is the diet of IRNs different than other Parrots? I mean does a generalized parrot diet work or do you habe to plan it according any unique requirements that IRNs have? Kindly let me know the ratio of pellets, seed mix, vegetables, sprouts and fruit that would fulfill the requirement of IRNs. Thabk you so much for taking out the time to read this!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi Southshore, you may find this useful!
Diet-Plan-1-980x1386.png

I also tried founding good pellets in Pakistan but sadly have had no luck yet. I found one that has no colours but it has artificial vitamin K which has been banned in some countries for humans due to toxicity. I would reccomend finding a variety of bird safe grains such as rice(cooked), Barley(cooked or raw), wheat(cooked or raw), buckwheat(cooked or raw), and many others. You can always ask if you want to know more or look up here on the forum :)

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Oh wow this is superb! I saw a Tony Silva video where he said that all vegetables should be given steamed. Why do you think he recommends that? Aren't raw vegetables supposed to have the most nutrition?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Steaming makes certain nutrients more bio-available. I don't think ALL veggies have to be cooked, though. Some may be healthier raw, others cooked.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Ah OK. Thanks for clarifying that. How do I determine which vegetable to steam and which to give raw? Their might be information onnthe internet as to the nutritional value of both for HUMANS but that might not apply to Parrots. So where do I get the information regarding which vegetables for parrots should be fed raw and which to feed steamed?

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
What I found in my research is that Irn her a variety and plentiful fruits and veggies available in the wild unlike other parrot species. I give lots of fruits, veggies and flowers. Anne's favorite food is blue berries

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Thank you for taking out the time to respond to my post. I have heard that fruits and nuts should only comprise 10% of the diet since fruits have high sugar content and is basically sugary water with little nutritional value. What do you think?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thank you for taking out the time to respond to my post. I have heard that fruits and nuts should only comprise 10% of the diet since fruits have high sugar content and is basically sugary water with little nutritional value. What do you think?
Fruit are healthy but high in sugar. Us humans shouldn't have a lot of fruit, either. It's all about balance. 10% is a good amount.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am trying to grow herbs and edible flowers for bird consumption as they should be less sugary and caloric than fruits. For example, nasturtiums are spicy and petunias are sweet. I bet you could put hibiscus flowers from tea into birds food, too.

These things are good in salads for people, too!

There are many healthy and edible herbs growing all around us, even in urban and suburban lawns. The problems with harvesting them from my lawn are: lawn chemicals, dog pee, and pollution from car exhaust. I do harvest edible weeds at my community garden. They are safer and tasty!

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I looked up their diet in the wild and they have wealth of fruits and aren't like other parrots and budgies who have to work harder for their food. It's been a while since I did this research. I watched documentaries on the wild IRN and did alot of research on their natural diets. I grow flowers like Hibiscus and purchase others from organic sources. I also allow mine go be outside the cage and she is fully flighted.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hmm... never really knew why birds need fruit... it's likely because of the sugars and antioxidants. Fruits just have a lot of health benefits.

I found this blog, it's meant for humans but still very interesting. It's basically about foods we consider veggies that ate fruit and vice versa.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Thanks¡ Hey @PippTheBananaBirb I found a great detailed article on fruits on the same website as the one about veggies you sent me. 27 Fruits that parrots can eat and why. Isn't that great! Moreover it has detailed articles on different fruit sas well. They have done the same with seeds as well. Thank you for sharing such a great resource!

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Hmm... never really knew why birds need fruit... it's likely because of the sugars and antioxidants. Fruits just have a lot of health benefits.

I found this blog, it's meant for humans but still very interesting. It's basically about foods we consider veggies that ate fruit and vice versa.

@PippTheBananaBirb You should get a sticky thread made of the veggies, fruit and seeds article from this website.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
@PippTheBananaBirb You should get a sticky thread made of the veggies, fruit and seeds article from this website.
I am actually planning on making a whole thread about benefits of safe foods! :) Although it's up to the mods to make it a sticky or not.

I have read the fruits article too, it is very useful.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts