Ringnecks

May 17, 2020
My ringneck is scared of anyone other than me and one if my parents who my ringneck chases in an aggressive way. Also he is scared of the hover and anything new or different. He's very cage aggressive and hates anyone's hands. If someone new comes he hangs off the side of the cage with his beak and slightly flaps his wings and starts screaming. I'm so confused I'm guessing he is avairy bred. He was always scared of people and new things but was never aggressive to me but he/she is sexually maturing so full of hormones. My question is what steps/process should i go through to get him to tolerate strangers and not get frightened do much.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry, that your Post had been missed, but it does happen from time to time. With my Post, it should bump you back-up onto the Board.

Your questions tend to revolve around general handling issues. Much of what you are describing goes to building a trust bond with your Parrot and as a result a greater comfort being out with you.

Remember that Parrots have no natural reason to trust Humans. The goal is to assure that only good things happen when Humans are around.

Placing hands of the cage is a no-no, as it goes to the only good things happen with Humans are around.

Parrotboy1272

Apr 21, 2021
UAE,Dubai
Parrots
N/A I rescue parrots
I think you should make sure he doesnt become scared of you and you should let him get used to you then he will start to trust you because trust develops over time

OP
S
May 17, 2020
He used to trust me he would never go on my hands but would never try biting or be aggressive. He would let me stroke him on the head buy then he was a baby now he's around 2 the time ringnecks sexually mature. What I'm concerned about is his fear of new people. When I go into the bird store the parrots there don't act scared when they see new people or start screaming for thier life. He also starts flying around in his flight cage is so frightened pf new people.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Most Parrot will let you 'Start From The Beginning', again!

Things can change as they transition from babies to Adults and backing-up and starting again helps.

Consider it: The Teen Age Years, in Parrots.

Most Reactions

Latest posts