Road trip with birds?

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Hi all, I skipped few years here. But I am back.
Did anyone here took a road trip with their birds? Is it possible?
I am going to Yellowstone for a week and worried about what to feed them if I take them with me.
Please tell me it is possible!
Any tips if it's possible?
Thank you!!!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am going to Yellowstone for a week and worried about what to feed them if I take them with me.
Thank you!!!
It is possible, but you'll need to:
1. Have a carrier.
2. Keep an eye on them throughout the ride.
3. Permission from whoever owns the place you're going to.

What bird(s) do you own?

Edit: I just read what birds you have.. I'll tag some Amazon owners.

@wrench13 @SailBoat

Last edited:
OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Hi everyone!
Did anyone took their birds with them on a road trip ever?
What did you feed them if you did?
Please let me know,
Thank you!

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
My brother Jim was an over the road trucker for many years, and he got parrots specifically for traveling with him in his truck. That was long ago and I don't remember how far he went with his bird (Smokey, an African Grey), but he certainly did travel with her.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I've not done a road trip with my birds, but I have picked up a few tips from people who have. Bring extra food in case you run out and can't find some wherever you're going. Keep things familiar inside the carrier - favorite toys and perches :) . If you can, let them look out the window. Most birds survive unscated by a road trip. Many even enjoy it!

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
When I was preparing for Mojito to be old enough to take home I had also already planned a vacation to Joshua Tree National park. Of course a few days before the trip I got a call that he was ready. I asked the breeder what I should do because I was worried about traveling with him especially with him being new to me and new environment. I did some research and found most birds will just want to be with you. So I decided to bring him along. I had a decent size travel cage with food, water, and toys. My fiancé sat in the back seat with him and would check on him/comfort him etc. We did have to cover him from time to time because he would get ansy after awhile and when we did it really helped, we just made sure to peak in and make sure he was doing ok. I think it was around 4 hour drive. We stayed in an airbnb that allowed pets so whenever we were home we let him hang outside of the cage with us. Was a four day trip and a great success. Now he loves car rides. I think it’s situational but also agree that birds will just be happy to be with you. I do think age and size helped a lot too. Just use common sense for safety. Buckle em in, give em the essentials, check up on them, keep temperature in mind and don’t keep them to far in the back of the car near exhaust.

Last edited:

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
My brother would take Amy, his Amazon, for rides in his car and the bird absolutely loved it. Jim said he became a different bird, very happy, outgoing and vocal and loved to be around people. I figure that by the time I'm ready to drive again Amy will be my buddy and ready to party.

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
I've taken short(1 hour or so) with my 13yr old yna. I've wondered about this too. I'd like to take him on Amtrack in a sleeper/cabin.

Greenfeather

Jan 12, 2016
South Florida
Parrots
One Panama Amazon
Thank you!!!
WE have taken our Amazon Parrot on many trips in our motorhome. There is enough space to have a good size cage and her favorite foods in the refrig. We always have a carrier with us for transport into and out of the RV.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our DYH Amazon is a true Road Warrior! Loves to travel and will complain about trucks that make to much noise or people that slow down to look at him. Something about them blocking his view!! He has traveled the full height of the USA from the Southern to the Northern Boarders. Quick trips to long journeys.

Where you stay is very important!!
Motels and Hotels were very welcoming during Covid, it can be iffy, now a days, Check before you show-up!!
Parrot Safety is very important as nothing is set-up and you have to make adjustments to assure that your winged baby is safe.
Remember that the Get-out-doors has all kinds of problems that you have to anticipate from bugs, pretors, to stupid Humans!
Leaving the Parrot alone can be problematic and dry-running short trips will help you determine whether or not your Parrot is a Road Warrior or needing a place to hide from what is happening outside the windows.
Parrots die quickly in closed automobiles, whether cool or warm!
You have to be willing to adjust your schedule and activities based on the needs of your Parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts