Roll reversal

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
4 1/2 years old now CAG..got her at 14 weeks...Debbie is still clown! Now almost 4 1/2....never a dull moment!
As some may have read in my earlier post, Our CAG Debbie used to attack my wife, bite her our poke her in the head. Well that did stop, completely and now she will sit with her for hours or go to great lengths to find her if she’s out of sight.
Until about 3 days ago everything everything was going great, no bites no fly bys..
Then out of nowhere Debbie stopped coming to me for her bedtime scratches. And this morning I became the target of her fly bys and nips on the head! Now 3 days ago she hit me in the head but I thought maybe she didn’t like me in a hat, today there was no hat!
Last year or we trimmed her wings and she became extremely docile and loving, but we love her being flighted. See the dilemma?
Note , Debbie will be 7 in October, we have had her since she was 14 weeks..

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to being on the outside as she has likely found you to be her good friend during those early years, but adulthood is now in place and she has found her kindness and loyalties with your wife. That kind of switch in loyalties is not uncommon!

Well, at this point, it is time for humble you to provide serves for Debbie that she would want. You get to provide all the goodies, etc. in an effort to regain some kindness.

Yes, it would be easy to simply have her wings 'trimmed', but that may not gain any of the lost ground back.

The process, either way, will take time and not trimming her wings will provide you a more honest measurement of what you have or have not regained.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This kind of thing happens.
Bella was young when we got her, less than a year old.
I was her favorite for the first couple of years .
Then her center of the universe became my wife and I am only suitable as a servant
But she doesn’t attack anyone in the house.

For me if the attacking becomes more than a nuisance level thing I would seriously consider a light wing trim.
I am not a fan of wing clipping but there is a time/place for everything.

OP
thegars

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
4 1/2 years old now CAG..got her at 14 weeks...Debbie is still clown! Now almost 4 1/2....never a dull moment!
Ok, maybe it’s just hormones again! The last couple of days she’s been coming to me for “attention“ , head scratches, etc.
Wants to feed me, so I calmly put her back on her perch.
She is Debbie and she is always changing her ways!
We try very hard to keep both my wife and myself involved in all aspects of her care.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Bella has passed through puberty just a year or two ago.
As near as I can figure she is 7 years old.
She regurgitates to my wife but only when she is in the cage and my wife passes by to give her scratches.
Her biggest hormonal issue is trying to get into the kitchen cupboards.
This is my mistake for letting her play in there for so long before hormones hit.

That’s really the extent of her behavior during hormones.
Not like my yellow nape that has to be handled like nitroglycerin.

Most Reactions

Latest posts