Roudybush Daily Maintenance Bird Food

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello has anyone used this food? Today osthe first i heard of this company.
also i have been using zupreen and reviews stated they contained sugar, i heard sugar was no good for eclectus.
Hope to hear from someone
thank you
Larry

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Over the years since Parrot Pellets where introduced there has been any number of warnings about this or that manufacturer. I have elected to use this list to judge which to use and which to avoid. The list defines what I avoid. Your choices may differ.

- Produced in a Human Graded production facility commonly located in North American or Western Europe.
- Produced using Human Grade Ingredients (required to meet above standards).
- No artificial coloring added to blend. Targeting no surprises in the color of the poop, which could result in a fast trip to the Avian Vet with an odd colored poop sample.
- No or near zero sugar added.
- No or near zero salt added.
- There are others, but this will define my most common concerns.

Last edited:
OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Over the years since Parrot Pellets where introduced there has been any number of warnings about this or that manufacturer. I have elected to use this list to judge which to use and which to avoid. The list defines what I avoid. Your choices may differ.

- Produced in a Human Graded production facility commonly located in North American or Western Europe.
- Produced using Human Grade Ingredients (required to met above standards).
- No artificial coloring added to blend. Targeting no surprises in the color of the poop, which could result in a fast trip to the Avian Vet with an odd colored poop sample.
- No or near zero sugar added.
- No or near zero salt added.
- There are others, but this will define my most common concerns.
Hello Thank you so much for the information and reply.
Is there any particular pellet you will recommend?
I am using Zupreen as all the local people i speak to including 2 vets recommended zupreen but i noticed even before reading your reply that the zupreen had sugar in the pellet. Also even though it was old (12 years ago) they had a recall due to excessive calcium:( my last vet 1 week ago told me to add calcium to my Moses diet however first she said to crush a Tums tablet (anti acid). I did not like that idea because how do you it is too much or too litle. Then she said get a zupreen pellet designed for egg laying birds. (i could not even find one like that from zupreen:( so now i still wondering if Moses really does need more calcium or just a different pellet (he does like zupreen and apparently has been on it for the past 2 1/2 years he is 3 years old now..thank you again
Larry

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Everyone here have their favorite. Zupreen has long added sugar to their formula as Parrots as with Humans enjoy the favor. For that and other reasons, it is not one of my choices.

Eclectus have highly specialized diet requirements and to my understanding, sugar is not commonly found on their diet requirements. I would strongly recommend that you look back into the large Eclectus Forum to the many discussion regarding their diet requirements.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Good morning,

Please do not feed your bird any pellets except perhaps TOPs pellets, or Origins Wild eclectus pellets. Ekkies shouldn’t be fed pellets with added vitamins and minerals.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Tango has Roudybush Maintenance (Mini sized) added to his seed (Vulkan and/and or Higgins each day. I have tried Harrisons along with Tops and he would not touch it. My bird also enjoys greens such as romaine lettuce, bok choy and even peas.. He is not a fan of carrots..

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Tango has Roudybush Maintenance (Mini sized) added to his seed (Vulkan and/and or Higgins each day. I have tried Harrisons along with Tops and he would not touch it. My bird also enjoys greens such as romaine lettuce, bok choy and even peas.. He is not a fan of carrots..
Hello Thank you for the info
Larry

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Hello Thank you for the info
Larry
Thank you for your advice and comment :) My wife says lately that Moses is not eating his veggies, preferring to eat the fruit and Zupreen Pellets:( thank you and God Bless Larry and Moses

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Good morning,

Please do not feed your bird any pellets except perhaps TOPs pellets, or Origins Wild eclectus pellets. Ekkies shouldn’t be fed pellets with added vitamins and minerals.
Hello and i agree I plan on ordering Tops as Chris - md also recommended:) tell me do you need to follow any special procedure when changing the pellets ( i only give pellets after he finished eating his fresh veggies and fruit:) thank you and God Bless Larry and Moses

RockyNRob

Sep 16, 2018
Hello Thank you so much for the information and reply.
Is there any particular pellet you will recommend?
I am using Zupreen as all the local people i speak to including 2 vets recommended zupreen but i noticed even before reading your reply that the zupreen had sugar in the pellet. Also even though it was old (12 years ago) they had a recall due to excessive calcium:( my last vet 1 week ago told me to add calcium to my Moses diet however first she said to crush a Tums tablet (anti acid). I did not like that idea because how do you it is too much or too litle. Then she said get a zupreen pellet designed for egg laying birds. (i could not even find one like that from zupreen:( so now i still wondering if Moses really does need more calcium or just a different pellet (he does like zupreen and apparently has been on it for the past 2 1/2 years he is 3 years old now..thank you again
Larry
Rocky always has zupreen in a bowl its the only one he will eat but he also eats 1/3 of a hard boiled egg a couple cherry tomatoes broccoli cauliflower carrot zucinni and squash apple slices bananas an a lil taste of what ever we eat for dinner. he eats all this on a regular basis.

RockyNRob

Sep 16, 2018
Rocky always has zupreen in a bowl its the only one he will eat but he also eats 1/3 of a hard boiled egg a couple cherry tomatoes broccoli cauliflower carrot zucinni and squash apple slices bananas an a lil taste of what ever we eat for dinner. he eats all this on a regular basis.
oh an some form of beans mostly pinto beans with ketchup

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Replying to the first question - I have used Roudybush off and on for years, along with TOPs, Zupreem and Harrison's. I want my birds to recognize a lot of pellets as food since they may outlive me and I don't know what their next caretaker will feed. They also get a LOT of vegetables, mostly of the dark green, orange and red varieties, plus fruit, beans and grains.

The caveat . . .

I do not have any Ekkies, who DO need a specific diet. You have gotten much good advice, but the best advice for an Ekkie is to ask others with Ekkies, and follow an Ekkie-specific recommendation, as they have special requirements.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
Unfortunately, our eclectus will not eat Tops pellets. Nope, never.

I am reluctant to say publicly that I do give him Roudybush pellets knowing that they can be a problem for eclectus. He has done well with them and his bloodwork recently came out great except for a little high cholesterol. I'm dialing back on nuts as treats and we'll see how his bloodwork is in another 9 to 12 months. If we see toe tapping or wing flipping, we'll take him off Roudybush immediately.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
With added salt and soy, BLEH. That soy especiallly can be a huge trigger for hormones, added vitamins aside. If your bird wont eat TOPS, Id personally prefer to go to a dry mix like Goldenfeast (which I have done), or perhaps a soak and serve like bird street bistro (which were currently on)

There are plenty of options out there to where you can avoid pellets.

And azflcowboy, i cant impress upon you how important a fresh food diet is as the primary diet. These pellets shouldn’t be the base of your birds diet. I trust you reviewed the eclectus diet thread I previously provided you?

Most Reactions

Latest posts