Roxy chewing the paint off the cage bars

Rippy27

May 7, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Screenshot_20230512-180050_Gallery.jpg

So Roxy decided to trust me enough today to come out her cage for the first time since I adopted her.

She doesn't like my fingers enough to hop on yet, hasn't bit me (which is nice).

Once outside she started chewing the paint off the bars... I don't know how to discipline a parrot, so didn't try other than to distract her with head scratches.

I've got a different cage for her, this one is a bit rusted and old. Don't want her to chew the paint off the new cage. Is there anything I can do to discourage her chewing the paint off the bars?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I wouldn’t have a species that large with a painted cage. They’re really only suitable for softballs like like canaries/finches/etc.
Is she eating it? If you think she is I would take her to an avian vet to test for heavy metal poisoning.
You should try and get her a powder coated cage, that is made of safe metal.

She’s a very pretty girl! One of my fav species 😍

OP
Rippy27

Rippy27

May 7, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Thanks for replying, I don't know of an avian vet in the area. Will find out.
I will check how she likes the new cage and hopefully she doesn't bite it like this one

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
View attachment 50301
So Roxy decided to trust me enough today to come out her cage for the first time since I adopted her.

She doesn't like my fingers enough to hop on yet, hasn't bit me (which is nice).

Once outside she started chewing the paint off the bars... I don't know how to discipline a parrot, so didn't try other than to distract her with head scratches.

I've got a different cage for her, this one is a bit rusted and old. Don't want her to chew the paint off the new cage. Is there anything I can do to discourage her chewing the paint off the bars?
Nope. She needs a new(er) cage ASAP and discard the one with the peeling paint. Ingesting paint can kill her. I hope your other cage is large enough and I good condition.
She looks like a real cutie!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thanks for replying, I don't know of an avian vet in the area. Will find out.
I will check how she likes the new cage and hopefully she doesn't bite it like this one
If you can't get one that's powder coated at least get a cage with pain metal bars.

OP
Rippy27

Rippy27

May 7, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
IMG-20230321-WA0014.jpg

This cage had a budgie it in for 3 weeks until the owner gave it up for adoption.

It's a bigger cage than she's had and the most expensive cage that I can afford at the moment

OP
Rippy27

Rippy27

May 7, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
IMG_20230514_134230.jpg

For the people worried that my bird cage isn't big enough (for now).

Got her a toy, my diy swing is skew (will do better next time). Busy working on getting some perches made from guava wood next

Most Reactions