?'s about to be new lovie owner!

mistyzip

Feb 25, 2012
Hi everyone. Been reading on this forum trying to learn and get tips on Lovebirds. I should be getting mine the end of this week! So excited! We've already came up with a name. Louie! :) I was just wondering what to use for a cage cover? Should I buy a specific cage cover or is a dark sheet ok? Also I've read they sleep is it 10-12 hours? Do you just leave them covered for that long or do they let you know when they're up and about?

Thanks in advance for the help!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Personally, I don't cover any of our birds, I've had birds in the past that were used to being covered though and I always just used a sheet. make sure that you check the cover daily, you want to make sure that there aren't any loose strings or anything that could injure your bird and never use a towel, they are made with little loops of fabric that get pulled out very easily and can snag little birdie toes.

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Welcome to the forum! I have always used sheets as cage covers. They work just fine. I used to have a lovebird. They are so wonderful and full of personality!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Welcome... I don't cover my birds.. It seems to be a practise from the 1960's... My birds goes into my office, I close the curtains, door, and they are quiet till the next morning, when they hear me...

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
We got a sun conure recently and she is the first bird we don't cover at night and she seems fine. The breeder told us, when we asked about it, "how many birds do you see covering up their house with a blanket in the wild?". So it made sense to me and so far she hasn't had an issue.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Welcome to our flock. Lovies are great! I have had many. They are little bundles of energy, personality, and OCD.:DBirds don't have to be covered. But, if they are in a room that isn't quiet & dark, it helps. Also, covering will help if your bird gets night frights.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck's cage is the first one I've covered, because his owner used to do it, and also because I sleep until long after the sun is up, and I don't appreciate being woken up early. :)

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Puck's cage is the first one I've covered, because his owner used to do it, and also because I sleep until long after the sun is up, and I don't appreciate being woken up early. :)
Amen to that one haha

Porter_Nibbler

Apr 3, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Parrots
Peach Faced Lovebirds
Porter and Nibbler
I just got a pair of PF lovebirds last thursday and i cover their cage with a sheet around 10 because I stay up late at night and I don't want to keep them up. It doesn't matter if the sheet is on or not in the morning though, when they want me to get up they let me know lol. They let me sleep till 8:55 this morning :)

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
you don't have to cover your lovie. just make sure he's in a dark and quiet room at night,
i'd say around 6-7pm, and he'll fall asleep till the morning..... if he isn't interrupted.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I do cover mine but they go to bed before I do and get up later. If I don't cover them then they know I'm still up and will continue talking to me and interacting with me and not get enough sleep. I also have them in the front room though and one must pass through this room to get to any other in the house.

I also really like to get at least a little time in the morning to have some coffee, use the bathroom and take my meds before they get up:)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
We got a sun conure recently and she is the first bird we don't cover at night and she seems fine. The breeder told us, when we asked about it, "how many birds do you see covering up their house with a blanket in the wild?". So it made sense to me and so far she hasn't had an issue.

There is also some light at night in the wild - stars and moon - plus noises from nocturnal animals.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, when there is a full moon out here in the country, you can see perfectly outside at night with no light. And if there is snow on the ground it is almost bright.

Most Reactions