Sad News

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Kiwi (my foster Quaker) will be going tomorrow. It is breaking my heart, but unfortunately, I have no other option. The reason is he is far too noisy, he screams 24/7 and tenants are complaining. I have received 2 warning letters already. IT'S EITHER KIWI OR I HAVE TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER PLACE TO LIVE, and that is not an option.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Have you tried covering him up? My quaker was never like that... I love quakers!!! I would love to own another one, one day... they're one of the best parrots I've ever owned...

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I had the cage covered so much and he still screamed. He must have been really abused at his other home. I tried everything in the book and more. He had just been to the vet.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Oh, I'm sorry, SB. I can certainly understand though. Fred used to live with a Quaker named Oatmeal, and he still makes the Quaker sound sometimes, and then yells "Oatmeal, Shut Up!" I can only assume that that particular Quaker was a screamer as well....

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Sorry to hear that. But some times, no matter what you do just may not be enough. He might be the type of bird that needs to be in a home with a lot of property surounding it so as not to bother others.

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
Sorry to hear, you did your best and gave him a great second start. I'm sure he has better manners and diet and behaviors thanks to you and it will be that much easier for him to find a loving home. It's sad to see him go but you can't be out on the street, that's helping no one!

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Sorry to hear that, Spiritbird. I know that you were hoping to give Kiwi a "forever home," but not at the risk of having to find a new home yourself. Sometimes, these things just don't work out-- but don't let it sour you on Quakers. Most of them are not such persistent screamers. My Quaker Ralph is relatively quiet and never screams.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I know how heartbroken you are Di, we have pm each other over and over again. You have shed many many tears. Trying different methods, covering his cage, ignoring him, and praising him when he stops screaming. Some things in life we are unable to change.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I am sorry Tannie Di.:( There are always reasons for everything, maybe Rosie would not have liked Kiwi and would have become depressed. We dont always know, but I know that you would do what is best for all of you. At least you tried.;)

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
As I've said to you Di, you did the right thing for everyone concerned and should not feel bad in any way.

Sharing this with the community will be valuble to many people considering adopting or buying a bird.

It's a fact that is often glossed over, sometimes things do not work out because you cannot jam a jigsaw together and get a pretty picture. In Kiwi's case you did evvveerything you could.

You were very sensible about the way you went about adoption, ensuring that if things were not correct he could go back to find a more suitable home. You put his feelings first. If more people took this approach instead of spur of the moment buying pretty birds then there would not be so many birds in need in the first place.

Kiwi will be placed somewhere permanant. You tried to help, you are to be applauded.

tlcgourdine

Jan 10, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
6 yr old Quaker - Poncho
12 yr old African Grey(Timneh)
Bailey
Awh that is such sad news, I am so sorry it didn't work out with little Kiwi. Quakers are very special little birds and most definitley can be deafening at times, it's unfortunate that Kiwi feels it necessary to scream non-stop :(
You opened your heart and gave what you could, hugs to you and Kiwi.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I'm sorry to hear that you have to give Kiwi up, SB. It's a tough decision, I know, but you're only human. As the flock leader, you have to look out for the whole flock. You have to keep that roof over your head. We can only hope he is truly happy where he winds up. Quakers are just so loud for their size...such rambunctious little birds.

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Norf. that is what I kept on saying "How can such a tiny bird make such loud noises".

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They're persistent little buggers.... I love'em dearly though. It made me so happy to see them flying around while I was in FL. I cried for so long when I lost my Cracker. Especially when I responded in the other post with someones bird with PBFD and when I started talking about my Cracker, I started crying pretty bad at work cause it brought back memories. I didn't talk to any co-workers and hid in the bathroom until I regain myself. If you were closer I would take him in a heart beat. Like I've said he was one of the best parrot I've ever owned. With me hand reared him might have a lot to do with it too. He was my child....

Birdzhaven

Oct 30, 2010
Media
Dallas, TX
Parrots
B&G Macaw, African Grey Congos, Timnehs, Brown-necks, Meyers, DYH Amazon... :-)
That is too bad you have to give him up. However, I have read enough of your posts to know that if you couldn't remedy his screaming issues, I doubt anybody can. He needs a place where he can vocalize to his heart's content.

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I'm sorry SB I know how hard it is to have to give up an animal when you'd really rather not want to.

Most Reactions