snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
There is this White Eared Conure at the petco I got my Black capped from. I saw this poor bird when I adopted Sprinkles. She looked a little beat up then but she was very sad looking. She seems to just look depressed in a huge cage with no toys and 2 branches that were too big for her. She would just cling on the side of the cage all day. She was up so high no one could really see her or get at her.

She is still there 2 months later. I have a feeling she has been at the store for 6 months I am not sure. They moved her to a smaller cage where she can now be seen but people. She is still very shy. Thats the reason I did not look at her before. My Sprinkles came running up to me doing all kinds of tricks. This white ears just sat looking depressed. :(

Anyways this sad bird looks even worst now. She is picking her feathers and her tail feathers are almost all gone. I will get a photo of her next time I go. She would be a beauty if cared for right. Hatch date is January something 2016.

Anyone in Nor Cal or Northern NV that wants to rescue a white eared conure they are kind of rare. I don't think I could have 2 my husband would kill me. Or would he.......

How can I help this bird?

Last edited:

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Sometimes the employees are sympathetic. It's hard with a chain business to do too much.

If you can talk to someone there that seems to care about the birds, ask if you can buy some toys for the conure. I've done this before and they did put the toys in the enclosure with the bird.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Ah this bird does sound very sorry doesn't it? Yes Piasa idea is good, see if they can and will improve it's cage. In their interests too!

If you go for it and it becomes #2 please do a quarantine period, just to be safe for Sprinkles sake. Let us know how things go. Thanks for trying to help this little one.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
MrC hasn't killed me yet, even though I've brought in Leo the Senegal and Charlotte the one winged, naked macaw. He's drawing the line at the flock of other birds that people seem to just offer me out of nowhere (but there's this double yellow headed amazon that I REALLY want...but I value my life, so I'll wait a few more months, at least, and if she's still looking for a home, I might get pushy). Anyway, talk to your husband. Two birds aren't all that much more work than one. Actually, my birds amuse each other so they don't need me quite as much. They're in separate cages, but they sing to each other all the time and keep each other company. If it were me, and I didn't already have four birds, including one special needs bird, I'd be campaigning for the one in the store.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
If you are seriously considering buying this bird, talk to a manager about a discount. This is something they at least used to consider (my experience was about 10 years ago).

She may be ill if plucking, and that is a loss for the store in many ways. If they don't make much profit from her, there is less incentive to neglect the next bird they put up for sale.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
This is why I am afraid to go into places where birds are for sale... and when I do, I keep my eyes away from them. Not very courageous.

Aside from all other considerations (expense, morality, illness, your busy life, etc.) I find myself hoping you save that bird. If you do, we'll join you in treasuring her. If not, well, thanks and kudos to you for having had the guts to look, and care, and try to find help.

Patagonian hugs to you and Sprinkles.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I had this crazy idea to send you money to buy the bird then ship the bird to me....but I'm sure that's a good idea..maybe talking to the staff or management might be a better idea..buying toys for little bird might not be a bad idea either...good luck.

Last edited:
OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
I had this crazy idea to send you money to buy the bird then ship the bird to me....but I'm sure that's a good idea..maybe talking to the staff or management might be a better idea..buying toys for little bird might not be a bad idea either...good luck.

I like your crazy idea. That's why I added the place in the subject in hopes someone near me would see it and we would work out a deal. You seem kind of far.

Yeah I have this magic idea the the bird and sprinkles could be friends in separate cages. I dream of them being out of the cage playing together. Because right now all sprinkles wants is to be on someone. He seems to really be a people bird b.. Like I said at the store sprinkles could care less about others birds. My friend brought her green cheek over and he did not show much interested in that bird.

I could handle 2 if they got a long. If I have to split time between the 2 that would be hard. But maybe I got rehome it to a better place? I might have to make a deal with my husband. I had to make a deal last time haha. I worry about how sprinkles would be with the new bird? Right now he is very needy.

I will go see the bird tomorrow maybe someone got her. I don't think so they want too much for her and she looks bad.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Perhaps you can approach an employee or manager and inquire about this bird's history. Possibly bred from a mill with little socialization; some birds get a bad start in life and settle into a funk while others (Sprinkles) are by nature gregarious.

Every creature deserves a chance, and it seems you have an interest. Petco might make you a deal to turn over a "shopworn" but hopefully healthy conure. If you do, definitely quarantine and consider an avian vet checkup ASAP.

Of course it is important to consider the needs of Snowflake and whether another bird would be accepted or at least tolerated!

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
She is still there. She is scared of people. She would be a real project I think. I don't have the time for that I am still training Sprinkles . I just looked at the bird and it ran from me. If she came over or showed some interest I would consider it. This poor thing wants nothing to do with people right now. They had a green cheek and ring neck 25% off this bird no price cut. I was suprised. The green cheek was so big and healthy and outgoing I kind of wanted it. It was so big almost as big as a Sun.

Here is the white eared her tummy is the part that looks picked. She also looks so small. We will see if she is still there in a month or if they discount him I might. I just don't know how much time he will need. He seems like he would be best with another bird.

I did find a Golden capped conure I would have taken home. She came running up to us and showing off a little bit. She was so silly. I know she will not be there long. This one is not a rescue yet. My Aunt has one of these guys I have always loved him. They are so loud my husband might not like that.

Last edited:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Poor thing's tail is all destroyed too. :(

I'm too far away and have too many birds already, but if I had the means I would totally adopt it.

Hopefully it will find the right home, I'm sure it's a real sweetheart and that it'll open up to people eventually. I hate to say that it was probably taken away too young and suffered some behavioral issues because of it. In my experience working for another chain petstore, they come from a single supplier in the area, I know east coast all came from a Florida breeder. Both chain's birds came from the same supplier (we accidentally got some meant for the other chain, which were banded parakeets and ours weren't banded)

I don't know what Petco's policy is, but sometimes they will transfer the bird to another nearby store if it isn't selling from the one it's at.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Remember, petco moves birds between stores every few months, also returns to suppliers! Be on good terms with the store manager, or their bird person! Don't be afraid of asking, and expecting, for 100 off!

Firstgoatsnowthis

Nov 11, 2015
Vermont
Parrots
Lucky- 15ish YO Patagonian Conure
Baby- Partner's 14 YO Alex
There is this White Eared Conure at the petco I got my Black capped from. I saw this poor bird when I adopted Sprinkles. She looked a little beat up then but she was very sad looking. She seems to just look depressed in a huge cage with no toys and 2 branches that were too big for her. She would just cling on the side of the cage all day. She was up so high no one could really see her or get at her.

She is still there 2 months later. I have a feeling she has been at the store for 6 months I am not sure. They moved her to a smaller cage where she can now be seen but people. She is still very shy. Thats the reason I did not look at her before. My Sprinkles came running up to me doing all kinds of tricks. This white ears just sat looking depressed. :(

Anyways this sad bird looks even worst now. She is picking her feathers and her tail feathers are almost all gone. I will get a photo of her next time I go. She would be a beauty if cared for right. Hatch date is January something 2016.

Anyone in Nor Cal or Northern NV that wants to rescue a white eared conure they are kind of rare. I don't think I could have 2 my husband would kill me. Or would he.......

How can I help this bird?

Would you feel comfortable complaining to the management at Petco? I agree with other posters that purchasing the bird could encourage them to just fill that cage with another sad, neglected bird. If you have other bird-loving friends locally, maybe they could also drop by to point out the low quality of the bird's conditions.

You could also write to Petco HQ - send them the pictures, and ask if that's the image they want people to have of birds from Petco. My guess is that it is not. The basic-boilerplate information that they provide about birds and bird care contradicts the conditions you describe for this bird.

Good luck, and thank you for taking the time to fight for the wellbeing of this birdy.

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Thanks guys all good Ideas. I should send PetCo an email. A Store in VA where my mom is has stopped selling birds.

The girl at this PetCo that is the bird lady is really cool and she is good with birds. BUT she is the ONLY one that knows birds. None of the other people that work there know anything. Come to think of it they never had this many birds before. She needs to stop ordering all these birds. Before she started working there I never saw this many different kinds of birds. They would have a green cheeks, canary, and parakeets. Lots of the cages were always empty. Now the cages are always full and with different types of birds. She is getting more expensive birds they never had before. He is new. I have been going to this store for 10 years.

My friend is another bird lover. She saw the same sad bird and she did ask about it. They did not tell her anything about it. They just said they will try... and she complained about the conditions. I tried to talk my friend into getting the bird but she said no it looked too bad. This is a bird person that does not even want the bird. Well she is a new bird person and not an animal freak like myself.

The cages these birds are kept in are just bad and dirty. They were not set but with the birds needs in mind. They are big but they have nothing for the birds and looks hard to clean.

I told my mom today I was going to get this bird for her and fix it all up. She said no and that she wanted my Sprinkles.

Firstgoatsnowthis

Nov 11, 2015
Vermont
Parrots
Lucky- 15ish YO Patagonian Conure
Baby- Partner's 14 YO Alex
As hard as it is to leave that birdie there, a well-written letter will probably result in more reforms than buying the bird. Once the letter is written and you see if things improve, then see if you still want to bring the bird home. You're doing the right thing!

I am having a similar problem thinking about two Big Macs at my local rescue. My heart wants to give one or both of them a loving home, and then my brain reminds me that we live in a 800 sq. ft. cottage and have two birds already.

Most Reactions

Latest posts