safe coffee percolator?!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
My coffee maker recently stopped working and I got a stove-top percolator (sits on flame) to replace it because I knew it was BPA and Teflon free....However, now I am wondering if the plastic insert could potentially off-gas when boiled.
Here is a picture of the model I have:
4d5313c5-ef1c-4246-8096-c9d80809765f_1.8e9409d64b464cd7149144814c578ea7.jpeg

I found the following description of materials on cafe-brew.com:
I highlighted the parts that will get hot in red. I am mostly worried about the plastic, but the fact that it is marketed as BPA free means that the audience buying it is likely already nervous about plastics as well.

"All of our Café Brew products are BPA-free and comply with FDA requirements for food contact items. The majority of our products are made with the following materials:"
Borosilicate Glass: Heat resistant Schott DURAN© glass from Germany, which is resistant to temperature changes, and has a very strong composition that will not stain from use. Dishwasher safe.
ABS Plastic (Carafe Handles): Considered superior for its hardness, toughness and gloss. Dishwasher safe.
Phenolic Plastic (Kettle/Perc. Handles): High rigidity, heat resistant qualities, compact and dense. Dishwasher safe.
Polypropylene Plastic (Lids/Adaptors/Filters): Non-deformable, brilliant gloss, low water absorptive capacity and water vapor permeability. BPA-free & dishwasher safe.
Stainless Steel (Filters/Fastening Hardware): Ideal composition of chromium and nickel which can withstand corrosion from most oxidizing acids, and durability that is easy to sanitize, and therefore ideal for kitchen applications. Dishwasher safe.

Has anyone used these before? Is it safe or should I return it?

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
In my humble opinion, it should be safe. Glass is a very standard material that is non-reactive and heat-resistant. It is used commonly in the scientific industry (think beakers and glass slides) because it won't do much of anything under extreme conditions (beyond break, of course, if you drop it).

The plastic looks pretty standard and I doubt it's much different than the plastic used in bird toys. Unless they are using a very strange coating for the "gloss", which seems doubtful given it is BPA-free, I would consider it safe. Also the fact that it is dishwasher safe indicates to me that it is fairly nonreactive in high-temperature scenerios.

Is your bird's area right by the kitchen? To air on the side of caution, I usually keep the bird cage on the opposite end of the room from the kitchen just in case there's some stray vapors coming from something I haven't accounted for.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I think it's fine too. However, when in-doubt with this particular question, the best thing you can do is to call the customer-service number of the manufacturer and ask them directly if it's "bird-safe", and if they can't answer that, then ask them if the plastic contains any PFOA's or PTFE's.

Here's the thing though, let's say the plastic does in-fact contain PFOA's or PTFE's (which I doubt)...It would still have to be heated-up to at least 300 degrees, some say 400 degrees, in order for any toxic fumes to be released, and I'm assuming that once this boils it's done, so I doubt it's going to get that hot. But you're always better safe than sorry when it comes to this, so better to call the manufacturer to find out.

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
Actually, PTFEs are good up to 490F.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I just hate the idea of heating plastic, but I know there is no PTFE/PTFOA/Teflon.

Thank you everyone and sorry for the delayed reply!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I agree, for your fid, safe! I love consumerism! ‘BPA free’ um, what’s BPS? Same leaching, just not tested fully! Early findings aren’t very reassuring!

Most Reactions

Latest posts