Safe drain cleaner???

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
2 people on my street have had issues with septic problems over the last week. Everyone has been advised to regularly clear the drains in our homes. We live on a busy street and the roads get tight when vehicles have to park on the roads to work on the septic problems. Plus we noticed our bathtub drain is slowing.

My mother wants to use Drano, but the bathroom isn't far from my birds rooms, and even with the door closed and the windows open with fans blowing, I don't feel safe enough using Drano.

What can help with clogging or sepic but is safe to use Aaron's birds? The stronger the better.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
2 people on my street have had issues with septic problems over the last week. Everyone has been advised to regularly clear the drains in our homes. We live on a busy street and the roads get tight when vehicles have to park on the roads to work on the septic problems. Plus we noticed our bathtub drain is slowing.

My mother wants to use Drano, but the bathroom isn't far from my birds rooms, and even with the door closed and the windows open with fans blowing, I don't feel safe enough using Drano.

What can help with clogging or sepic but is safe to use Aaron's birds? The stronger the better.

I am assuming that you live in a City that has a 'Sewer System' in which all drains in the home leave the home on the Street side and flow to the main Sewer in the street. Septic systems are more common in small towns, villages, and country side.

Drano has a jell version that has lower fumes and whether the liquid or jell, both sit in the drain and produce /provide very 'limited' off-gassing into the room. Bathroom sinks and bath tubs drains common have problems with being clogged with Human hair. Either product is dangerous to Parrots 'if' the Parrot is in the Bathroom while being used. Assure your Parrot is not in the Bathroom or Kitchen when the product is setting in the drain. Always ensure that the container is properly closed and disposed of quickly after use.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
doubt there is a "safe" drain cleaner considering the only thing that can dissolve and remove debris, especially hair, requires highly toxic acids and stuff.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I will tell you the Plumber's Secret. This is the secret that pays many a plumber's boat payment, so you must swear to respect the sanctity of this knowledge and immediately tell it to anyone in need.

You need Dawn dish detergent. No other kind will do. You will pour a half cup to a cup, depending on how bad your drain is clogged, into the drain. You will then go away and NOT MESS WITH IT for like half an hour. You will then prepare a quantity of boiling water and CAREFULLY and SLOWLY pour it into the drain. Run more hot tap water through, to judge the free-flowingness of the flow. If you are not satisfied, repeat.

Why does this work? Dawn is the grease dissolver par excellence. It will emulsify the grease, enabling the water to carry it away. Do this regularly when you begin to suspect that maybe the drain is starting to get slow.

If it doesn't work, you have a physical clog. This is most common in bathroom drains. For this you buy a drain snake and use it to clear the clog. Or you can do the easy but disgusting thing. Get something called a Zip-It. It's a long plastic thingie with barbed sides. They are so cheap they usually come two to a package. Shove that sucker down the drain, move it all about like you're doing the hokey pokey, then pull it back up. It will probably have what looks like a wet dead rat on it, which is the clog of hair that was in your drain. I think the real reason they give you two in the package is because some people just scream, gag, retch, and throw the whole thing in the tash. You won't do that, though, on account of you care about the environment. You'll clean off the clog and wash the zip-it using the newly unclogged drain.

If that still doesn't work, you may have Roots. As in tree roots, sneaking their way into your drain pipe to suck up the delicious sewage, I mean fertilized water. Once this happened to me, so I called the city. They came and snaked it from the street back to where my line branched off, and glory be the roots were in the city side. So they dug up the line and replaced it. Another time the roots were in the yard, and the digging onus was on poor little old me.

Somewhere in this magnificent panoply of secret information is the solution to your problem. Good luck, Grasshopper. I believe in you. You can do the thing.

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I knew a plumber once and he said Coca-Cola was an excellent clog solvent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I will tell you the Plumber's Secret. This is the secret that pays many a plumber's boat payment, so you must swear to respect the sanctity of this knowledge and immediately tell it to anyone in need.

You need Dawn dish detergent. No other kind will do. You will pour a half cup to a cup, depending on how bad your drain is clogged, into the drain. You will then go away and NOT MESS WITH IT for like half an hour. You will then prepare a quantity of boiling water and CAREFULLY and SLOWLY pour it into the drain. Run more hot tap water through, to judge the free-flowingness of the flow. If you are not satisfied, repeat.

Why does this work? Dawn is the grease dissolver par excellence. It will emulsify the grease, enabling the water to carry it away. Do this regularly when you begin to suspect that maybe the drain is starting to get slow.

If it doesn't work, you have a physical clog. This is most common in bathroom drains. For this you buy a drain snake and use it to clear the clog. Or you can do the easy but disgusting thing. Get something called a Zip-It. It's a long plastic thingie with barbed sides. They are so cheap they usually come two to a package. Shove that sucker down the drain, move it all about like you're doing the hokey pokey, then pull it back up. It will probably have what looks like a wet dead rat on it, which is the clog of hair that was in your drain. I think the real reason they give you two in the package is because some people just scream, gag, retch, and throw the whole thing in the tash. You won't do that, though, on account of you care about the environment. You'll clean off the clog and wash the zip-it using the newly unclogged drain.

If that still doesn't work, you may have Roots. As in tree roots, sneaking their way into your drain pipe to suck up the delicious sewage, I mean fertilized water. Once this happened to me, so I called the city. They came and snaked it from the street back to where my line branched off, and glory be the roots were in the city side. So they dug up the line and replaced it. Another time the roots were in the yard, and the digging onus was on poor little old me.

Somewhere in this magnificent panoply of secret information is the solution to your problem. Good luck, Grasshopper. I believe in you. You can do the thing.

This. Reply.

I'm dying.

Most Reactions

Latest posts