Safe Heater

KatieTauben

Feb 11, 2013
My quaker and I are moving to the basement of the house, but unfortunatly the room we will sleep in is very cold! I bought a couple heaters, and called the manufacturers. Most were rude and wouldn't even bother answering the qustions, but I finally found one that would.

According to customer service, there is absolutely no Teflon or PTFE's. I asked about polymer coated surfaces, and she said there arent any but that it is made out of polycarbonate. She said that the product is safe for pets and is eco friendly, but she did not know specifically if this meant bird-safe.

I am clueless when it comes to material types, so is polycarbonate dangerous for birds?

The heater is a Holmes Twin Ceramic model number HCH4166 incase anybody has one. Is it safe to be in the room with us, or should I keep looking? Anybody recommend a small safe heater? Thanks! :green2:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Polycarbonate is a term for thermoplastics of a certain group.....hard, weather resistant, some are bullet proof, but all in all, they are bird safe.

For the most part, ceramic heaters are OK...and your Holmes unit is OK.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I don't have one, but I've used an Edenpure heater with no issues in the same room as my birds. I asked the company about it's safety before I used it in the same room. Works great!

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
My edenpure heater is the WORST heater I have ever had! It's going back. Don't buy it.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Sherry, I'm curious to know why you hate it so much? I have the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/EdenPURE-Quartz-Infrared-Portable-Heater/dp/B0036FKS30/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361122403&sr=8-1&keywords=a+3705+edenpure"]A3705[/ame] model and we also have a couple at work, plus I know two other people who have the same model and love them.

My only real complaint is that it doesn't have a physical temperature setting in numbers, but not hard once you figure out the right setting you like. It's proven to be animal safe as my cats have laid on top of it without it getting hot to the touch.

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I just purchased mine and it doesn't heat up a thing. I was really sad as I paid over $220 for it. Turns out I don't really need it as I cut a hole in the wall (glassless window) but I hate it when I spend the money on something and it doesn't work. The reviews on this heater are horrible but I knew it was safe for the birds so I tried it. I may have just gotten a broken machine but what a pain.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Most people I know, have the oil filled radiators and have never had any problems with them. I used to have one before I had a radiator put in the room.

They give out alot of heat as well.

They have lots of different ones on Amazon.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=oil%20filled%20radiator&sprefix=oil%2Bfilled%2Br%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aoil%20filled%20radiator]Amazon.com: oil filled radiator[/ame]

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I just purchased mine and it doesn't heat up a thing. I was really sad as I paid over $220 for it. Turns out I don't really need it as I cut a hole in the wall (glassless window) but I hate it when I spend the money on something and it doesn't work. The reviews on this heater are horrible but I knew it was safe for the birds so I tried it. I may have just gotten a broken machine but what a pain.

That's a shame. I've found that it works best in heating up small areas and can help keep off the chill in a room, but also works to provide heat in a larger area. Perhaps not as well as a small area, but it's still a good heat source.

I wonder if the manufacturer might have anything to say about it?

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I am sorry to hear that Sherry. I bought a Edenpure (Generation 2) and so far it is keeping my living room comfortable. We will see what my electric bill is like though. :p I asked questions and am satisfied it is bird safe. I will admit I do not have a large house so it is easier to get my house to a comfortable temperature. My mom loves hers and likes that it can not burn a grandchild or a dog. Monica does it make your electric bill real high? And I am wondering if you noticed if you use less gas or propane.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I can't say I've really paid attention to how the Edenpure effects the other bills.

Most Reactions